Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi guys,

I have a LG 152cm, and haven't been very happy with it. I'm getting a greenish tinge in the corners of screen. It makes the corners appear dull and objects appear greener than they should be. It is most noticable at night with the lights out. This is my second LG, after getting a replacement for the first because of this problem. The second set is worse!

A tech at LG has suggested all RPTVs (especially really big ones, and not just LGs) are affected by problems with optics, and it is just the way they are. I'm not so convinced.

What experience have you Samsung owners had?

Also, has anyone seen this unit on display in Brisbane?

Cheers,

I have no problems with my LG too.

That's a load of crap what the tech told you about all RPTV having that problem.

I think they just put it off as "that's just the way things are" and get you off the hook.

I had a problem with my LG when I first bought it. For some reason when I connect my sattelite decoder to the "S-VIDEO" the LG continuously came up with synch problems - the signal drops out from time to time and it had to resynch. No one else I heard of had this problem.

So on the phone I got ... and the tech told me that because the LG is a monitor it's going to do that with all "video sources" .. even with DVD players according to him. Now I have my sattelite decoder connected to "Video" .. and no problems at all.

The LG tech did not convince me at all that it's a "common problem" ... load of crap what he said.

Hi guys,

I have a LG 152cm, and haven't been very happy with it.  I'm getting a greenish tinge in the corners of screen. It makes the corners appear dull and objects appear greener than they should be. It is most noticable at night with the lights out. This is my second LG, after getting a replacement for the first because of this problem. The second set is worse!

A tech at LG has suggested all RPTVs (especially really big ones, and not just LGs) are affected by problems with optics, and it is just the way they are. I'm not so convinced.

What experience have you Samsung owners had?

Also, has anyone seen this unit on display in Brisbane?

Cheers,

No problems what so ever no dead pixels, no tinges or discoloration, I'm 1000% happy with my Samsung. :blink:

What sort of prices are ppl paying for the 154cm and 127cm units now?

I just put a deposit down on the 127cm model for $6800. I haggled quite a bit and that's the best I could do. I got the stand included, free delivery and the Samsung "Home Theatre Package" which includes a DVD/VCR player combo and some extra speakers (neither of which I actually need).

The guy said he could the same sort of package on the 154cm unit, for $9000. I've seen posts saying that some people have purchased the 154cm for as low as $8200 (possibly even including a HDSTB) so the $9000 price he quoted on that unit isn't too great.

Is the $6800 price an OK deal for the 127cm? I can't help but think that I could do better. I made sure that I'd be able to get my deposit back if necessary.

This is in Adelaide at a Harvey Norman store BTW.

Max

What sort of prices are ppl paying for the 154cm and 127cm units now?

I just put a deposit down on the 127cm model for $6800. I haggled quite a bit and that's the best I could do. I got the stand included, free delivery and the Samsung "Home Theatre Package" which includes a DVD/VCR player combo and some extra speakers (neither of which I actually need).

The guy said he could the same sort of package on the 154cm unit, for $9000. I've seen posts saying that some people have purchased the 154cm for as low as $8200 (possibly even including a HDSTB) so the $9000 price he quoted on that unit isn't too great.

Is the $6800 price an OK deal for the 127cm? I can't help but think that I could do better. I made sure that I'd be able to get my deposit back if necessary.

This is in Adelaide at a Harvey Norman store BTW.

Max

Hi Zif,

Does that mean they have the 154cm samsung at Harvey Norman now??

cheers

Hi,

I noticed on the Samsung USA website here that they have identical looking (and spec'd, but 60hz I'd imagine and possibly no 576i/p input) models, but these here DLP not LCD. Does anyone know if a local version of these DLP sets will be released here? In the US, the 50" seems to retail for around US $4000 (AU $5900) and the 61" for USD 5000 (AU $7400). They don't seem to have the LCD versions available in the USA.

Cheers,

morkli.

The guy said he could do the same sort of package on the 154cm unit, for $9000.

Hi Zif,

Does that mean they have the 154cm samsung at Harvey Norman now??

No. Not at the store I went to anyway (Enfield). He said they can order them in but they wouldn't be stocking them in the store. He seemed to imply that there wasn't enough interest in that size.

Max

Being LCD, has anyone had any problems with dead or lazy pixels on the these Samsung models?

I was in Domayne Taren Point and the display unit (50") seemed to have a dead pixel and another unit at JB (also 50") in Bankstown seems to have a few lazy (slightly discoloured) pixels. I saw the 60" at Retravision Auburn and it looked perfect, but I didn't have too much time to carefully check each area of the sreen. Also, it had no price marked.

According to Samsung they will only replace a unit under warrantly if there are 3 or more dead pixcels in the middle area of the screen. Doesn't really seem good enough for an item costing so much money. Keen to hear other people opinions though.

Cheers,

morkli.

DLP models here next year. ( what a long wait we have had !!)

JB quoting mid Jan 2004

Clive Peters quoting april/may 2004. (actually rang me to tell me).

dumfa,

Thanks, that's good news. I think I'll wait until next early next year then. Who knows what other 'goodies' are just around the corner? Something with native 1080p under $10k would be nice :-)

Cheers,

morkli.

I have a question regarding the specs and capabilities of the Samsung 50" & 61" units.

As far as I know both displays are 1280x720 native. Is that correct?

The manual seems to indicate that the maximum resolution they will accept via the DVI and VGA ports is 1024x768...

Samsung manual, PG46

Samsung manual, PG47

(BTW, the info is from this manual. Force mentioned that the only difference is the model number, SP-61L2H vs SP-612HX.)

Is the manual wrong? If not, will it be a problem that they don't accept 1280x720 considering that 1024x768 isn't a 16:9 format?

The manual for the LG 60" lists 1280x720 as acceptable...

LG manual, PG50

I've put my Samsung 50" order on hold until I can find out if this is a problem or not.

TIA for any assistance.

Max

Has anyone managed to:

1) program the sammy universal remote control ? The manual says "turn off your dvd player, point the control at the dvd player, and press the power button - tada, done". But I can't make it work

2) change the default source from TV ... its really annoying to turn the sammy on everyday and have to change the source from TV to a digital reciever

Cheers,

Nev

I took delivery of my Sammy this morning :blink: [finally]

Such an awesome looking product, can't wait to play with the settings tonight

Has anyone tried a DVI source yet?

Cheers,

Nev

Hi Nev,

Have you tried the dvi out yet???

cheers

Have you tried the dvi out yet???

Nope, not yet.

BTW, I've been fiddling with the picture settings - currently I'm using

sharpness 100

color 50

contrast 100

brightness 50

this seems to give really good blacks, without losing detail

welcome to the sammy club

Thanks Guys,

BTW, I'm using an old toshiba DVD player which looks crap on my sammy [it looked fine on my old 4:3 Panasonic TV] so I'm planning to replace it - currently the Sony 730 or MichaelF's Momitsu [coming soon?] are on the top of my list.

What DVD player are you using to drive your Sammy?

Cheers,

NevB

Cheers,

NevB

I have an older Phillips DVD player which I am thinking about replacing as well. (it skips sometimes).

NFI what to get yet - I did see the recordable ones for under $1000, but Im not convinced about those yet.

SOme of the other threads cover DVD players quite well

Cheers,

NevB

I'm using the Sony DVPNS930V. :blink:

It cost me $908, The Price includes 5 yrs total warranty.(Normally you only get 1 yr warranty.)

Features

* PAL & NTSC Progressive Scan Support

* Precision Drive 2

* Twin Laser Pick up

* Dynamic Tilt Compensation

* DVD-Video/CD/Video CD

* Multi-channel SACD

* CD-R/RW (CD-DA, VCD)

* MP3 (CD-R/RW)

* DVD+R/RW

* DVD-R/RW (Video Mode)

* DVD-RW (VR Mode)