Panasonic Tx-76pw100a

First up I must say I’m somewhat of a novice when it comes to all things HDTV. Looking to go down this path, I’ve recently become somewhat enthusiastic about the Panasonic TX-76PW100A. Main reason for this is they are dropping quite significantly in price. I’ve seen these for $2,999 in Grace Bros (GB’s) Sydney and $3,012 (less for cash) in Retravision Sydney.

Price drop is no doubt due to new model becoming available in September. GB’s advise RRP for new 76 cm model will be a little over $4,000.

I’ve seen the set in some stores running the Nine Demo loop and looking fantastic…I’ve also seen it look bloody awful in other places. Based on comments in this forum it seems some love it and some hate it and some spend a lot of time getting Panasonic or the retailer to fix issues with these sets.

As a newbie in this field I have some questions that maybe some of you would be good enough to help with or provide some guidance on. No doubt some of these might seem dumb, but I have found over the years that dumb questions are better than stupid mistakes.

1. At $3,000 is this set a good buy?

2. What is the difference between the various types of scans the set performs (eg 100Hz Super Digital Scan; Giga Progressive Scan and the Twin Comb Filter). Does the set automatically select the correct scanning mode or do you need to do this manually?

3. As the set is Progressive Scan, does that mean that you have to use a Progressive Scan DVD?

4. This model features HD inputs for 576P and 1080i. What happens if signal is broadcast at 720P? Would I need an HDTV STB that receives at 720P and somehow upconverts to 1080i? Elsewhere on this forum I’ve seen that you can set the output of a STB to the highest input your TV can accept and leave it at that. Is this correct?

5. Anybody got any views on Foxtel quality when viewed on this set. I’m using their digital satellite service. Foxtel STB is the STU 660. Current picture quality is nearly as good as DVD. (I know, buying a WS HDTV and watching Fox sounds silly…mind you Fox does limited WS broadcasting too.)

6. Does anybody know if the set has direct inputs for Dolby Digital (or just the digital inputs)?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

1. At $3,000 is this set a good buy?

I paided about $3400 (Advert: $3699) from Myers over 12 months ago so that seems like an ok price. Always ask if there is a better price and try to get the HD Set to box at the same time, give you better bargining power.

2. What is the difference between the various types of scans the set performs (eg 100Hz Super Digital Scan; Giga Progressive Scan and the Twin Comb Filter). Does the set automatically select the correct scanning mode or do you need to do this manually?

Not really sure about all the different marketing hype. Progressive scan simply means the TV can cope with a 576 progressive input signal which has twice the vertical resolution of a standard 576 interlaced signal. I am sure that others can do a better job at explaining. I can say that the 576p input on my Pana 100a is not as good as I would have thought.

3. As the set is Progressive Scan, does that mean that you have to use a Progressive Scan DVD?

No, the set accepts 1080i, 576p & 576i inputs and just swaps between them automatically. On a 576i input you can choose to use 100Hz scanning which doubles the number of scan lines.

4. This model features HD inputs for 576P and 1080i. What happens if signal is broadcast at 720P? Would I need an HDTV STB that receives at 720P and somehow upconverts to 1080i? Elsewhere on this forum I’ve seen that you can set the output of a STB to the highest input your TV can accept and leave it at that. Is this correct?

Generally you purchase a HD-STB, I have the DGTEC 2000a, and it outputs 1080i to the TV and upconverts any non-1080i material. I find the quality is absolutely excellent.

5. Anybody got any views on Foxtel quality when viewed on this set. I’m using their digital satellite service. Foxtel STB is the STU 660. Current picture quality is nearly as good as DVD. (I know, buying a WS HDTV and watching Fox sounds silly…mind you Fox does limited WS broadcasting too.)

Sorry, I have Foxtel cable, the quality sucks.

6. Does anybody know if the set has direct inputs for Dolby Digital (or just the digital inputs)?

The set as onboard Dolby Digital, DTS and Prologic 1 decoders. You can pump the STB or DVD player straight in and then hand either a set of 5.1 speaks from the TV for run it into a 5.1 amp.

Overall I have been very happy with this television. I realise that others have not nessasarily been that lucky. For the price I think you would be hard pressed to find a similar system with the same number of features.