Sign in to follow this  
michaelf

New 81cm Hdtv

Peter Familari ALWAYS writes favourably about DEC stuff. I would take the article as an advisory, not gospel truth.

Anyone know if there are any of these in Adelaide?

And if DEC can do a hd set for 2 grand, there must be a flood of sets around the corner in this price range? Im sure that after this christmas there will be some great gear at great prices, problem is Im busting to go out and get all "digitised" right now, Im waiting for the twin tuner PVR's to come out, and its all I can do to hold myself back. Might get a SD STB now and give it away at christmas :blink:

Hi All,

Just read with interest the many posts regarding the DEC HDTV, well funny enough I actually purchased the 96cm model only 2weeks ago.

I was initially interested in the 81cm model which was favourably reviewed in Melbournes Herald Sun Connect section. I went to the store down Frankson way with the sole purpose of buying the 81cm model, however, call it impulse shopping or just good salesmanship the store had the 96cm model setup next to the 81cm model and I was hooked.

Whilst the 96cm model was a little dearer than its 81cm sibling I am to date fairly happy with my purchase. The store demonstrated both sets with the DGTEC 2000-A HD-STB, they were selling for $800 but got them down to $500 making the whole deal around 4k.

The only issue I have with television is that when it is being watched through the STB on some channels you have to manually adjust the geometry of the screen ie horizonal, vertical, width and height. When adjusting the horizontal position of the screen you are only able to move the screen to the left (as you face it) because you can not move the horizontal position to the right you invariably have to 'stretch' the screen to the right so that you can watch a 4.3 in a widescreen format, however, if you do this the right hand side of the screen becomes curved somewhat.

Generally speaking though for what I have seen around the shops for the same size and specs of the tv I am happy with my introduction to HD TV. I was also concerned with the amount of bad press in these forums regarding the DGTEC 2000-A HD-STB. So far (touch wood) I have had no problems with the STB. It was very easy to set up and very easy to use.

I would be interested in hearing anyone elses comments regarding this DEC tv.

Regards

Gary

I also finally got down to DEC Camberfield on Saturday to view this new set and I was plesantly surprised. The picture quality is great, on par with the Rank and much better than the Pana and the Samsung.

Dazbug's comment about the serice is correct. Their service is lously. I waited 15 min before anyone would serve me and they only had 2 guys looking after the whole store, and both of them were hopeless. I basically had to answer all my own questions just by playing with it and looking at the connections and meus and even the manual.

My verdict: Its a great set for its price (I was quoted at the camberfield store $1900) it has great picture quality (although normal free to air looked lousy because they had the signal split 5 times to show on the other TVs they had). Widesceen DVD looks great. HD is fantastic. Only one set of component inputs can be used for progressie or HD signal. Also has a HD VGA input that they had the DGTec HD Box hooked up to which is great. Can do 576p, 720p and 1080i which means its already better than most of the HD CRTs we have available. It even looks pretty good from a cosmetic point of view. It also has a 2 year warranty which is also a plus. The only down side to the set is its remote and menu software lets it down. It makes it look like a cheapo import TV, but I guess that is what it is anyway. But for the price I think it is worth buying, or at least a serious consideration anyway.

I also saw the 86cm next to it, which I am told will be available by this weekend and got a price of $3200 which I think is a great price for a 86cm HDTV. It doesn't look as good as the 76 cosmetically, it has these big woofers sticking out the top of it and it has some asian writing on the front of it which I think spoils it, but in terms of picture quality and features, it is the same as the 76. So if you want something a little bigger then the 86 would also be the way to go.

Finally I would just like to say that normally I am dead against brands such as DEC, and espcially DEC because of their total lack of knowledge and false advertising, but this time they have totally surprised me with these new sets. They are well worth the look, and I am sure most will not be disappointed. I myself will be buying one as soon as possible.

Hi, some time has past since you wrote this. I was wondering if you did indeed purchase your DEC set, and if so how is it or did it perform?

Oh by the way, the service has not changed. :blink:

Hi, some time has past since you wrote this. I was wondering if you did indeed purchase your DEC set, and if so how is it or did it perform?

Oh by the way, the service has not changed. :blink:

Hi All,

For what its worth, I have had my DEC HDTV for around the 2 year mark and had not any problems with it at all. As a matter of fact I have recently upgraded to a 106 Panasonic plasma and am thinking of selling the DEC on ebay complete with the HD STB that I purchased with it originally.

Although the tv and stb cost me around the $4000 mark a couple of years ago, with the falling prices of plasmas, I think I will be lucky to sell it for around a #$1000 these days. But in summary, a great tv and no problems.

Regards

Gary

Hi All,

For what its worth, I have had my DEC HDTV for around the 2 year mark and had not any problems with it at all. As a matter of fact I have recently upgraded to a 106 Panasonic plasma and am thinking of selling the DEC on ebay complete with the HD STB that I purchased with it originally.

Although the tv and stb cost me around the $4000 mark a couple of years ago, with the falling prices of plasmas, I think I will be lucky to sell it for around a #$1000 these days. But in summary, a great tv and no problems.

Regards

Gary

Thanks for that. You had much better luck than some I know of. DEC HD LCD packed it in in 3 weeks. YEP 3 weeks. Took it back numerous times only to be told it was ok. If you could get it to turn on(sometimes it took 15minutes sometimes straight away) it would work for 10 mins or so and just freeze. Most times it would not even turn on!!!!

All equipment purchased has been faulty and returned, exchanged at least once. Would only be fair to want a refund. NO> Not that easy. Continual exchange is all that is being offered.

Very poor customer service, attitude from DEC if you ask me. :blink:

So a shopping they will go for a new one. At a reputable retailer I would say.

What`s the old saying? " You get what you pay for!

Anyone else had a similar experience.