Sign in to follow this  
klomp

Sony Kvhr36m31

nice mini revew, thanks.

Can it take 720p50/60 video?

And can you give me a digital photo, perspective view please. :blink:

Yes to 720p50/60 video.

can you give me a digital photo, ----it took me 3 days to write the mini review.

Angelo:huh:

Yes to 720p50/60 video.

can you give me a digital photo, ----it took me 3 days to write the mini review.

Angelo:huh:

Awesome :blink: Thanks for that.

I'll be quick.

I just spent the best part of the evening setting up and playing with the new Sony 86cm.

I am totally amazed at how great this set is. It really is the quantum leap that it was hyped up as.

I have never seen the Nine HD loop better, and I work for Nine occasionally so have seen it on some pretty impressive screens. It is just unreal ( sorry hyperreal). I always thought that the loop exhibited compression artefacts when I had seen it in stores. That's just not the case. It is just beautiful in 1080i.

DVD's look great although the set does show up poor transfers to what they are. In that respect it is quite unforgiving. Robocop for instance really can't hold a candle to more recent film tranfers, and flaws that would be passable on other sets are made painfully evident in glorious detail. One of my favourite films of all time, John Carpenter's " the Thing" is unfortunately not anamorphic widescreen so blowing it up results in a softer and more aliased picture. Which is a big shame for me.

That said "Monsters Inc" is quite frankly out of this world. My wife thought the picture looked 3 dimensional and in a sense it is. The lack of a perceivable pixel pattern on the surface of the screen means that you really just see all the textures and detail of the original film. Because it's digitally produced and has no grain either this also leads to a distinct feeling of depth. "Finding Nemo" will be like having your own fish tank in the living room!

I'll play with it some more and report back any new findings.

The DGTEC 5000i I got with it has a problem which I have posted in another part of the forum, but it's livable with at the moment

regards

reggieboy

:blink:

Reggieboy.

What DVD signal are you feeding it. Component or Progressive Scan?

Keith m :blink:

There are in fact compression artifacts in the CH9 HD demo. You'll notice them when there is fast moving action (admittedly, there's not a lot of that). One example is when the duck shakes its head whilst swimming in the water. Of course you might not notice it on such a "small" display :blink:

Thanks Guys for posting your thoughts on the new Sony.

Very much appreciated!

Mark

Motlking, which JB Hifi?

Nunawading...but I tell ya this was some major haglling :P

Hey Angelo,

I am having trouble with the connections for the HD inputs...unfortuanately I am using the 2000A for the mean time but the manual is very unclear and fairly confusing :blink:

I just wanted to know how you have things connected...are you using 5 x RCA cables or coaxial or what?

Also what are you using to connect you dvd to the tv? subtitles and the picture in general seems to be fairly grainy so I assume I connected it wrong...

Thanks in advance

has anyone who's got the new Sony checked for the scrolling bars?

I've gone through 3 KVEH's and am gonna swap it over for the new one as long as it doesn't suffer the same faults, if anyone who has the new one could check it'd be much appreciated.

Note: when i spoke to the rep awhile ago he said that much of the electronics HADN'T changed, so it might suffer some of the same faults, here's hoping he's off the mark.

Angelo, what mode have you been running the tv in - prog scan, double lines or 100hz?

I have a feeling the set i was looking at was running in double lines.

Anyway....i'll have to try and see this tv elsewhere, because from what everyones saying, i think the one ive seen just isn't properly set up, or is maybe even a defective unit. On the 9 HD loop, on the beach scene with the surfing.....the white was of the surf was pixilizing into blocks, the gradation of the sky keep changing subtly (as if it couldn't decide which colour to make the pixels) etc.

Will definately try and compare to a unit in a different store.

The one ive seen is at DS Powerhouse at Warringah Mall

I saw this TV at Sony Central, and it was being fed the Nine Demo at 1080i via component (so said the salesman). One thing that worried me was that the picture had wavy vertical lines going down the screen. Almost like some sort of interference that you would see in Analog reception, but only is some sections (about three vertical sections across the screen).

Could someone with this TV tell me if they have this sort of problem, or was that TV just set up really badly?

Thanks

DukeBoy,

I have been told personally by one of Sony's Techs that the new KV-HR36M31 doesn't "show" the 100Hz Seam (scrolling bar) unlike the KV-EH36M31 which does. The KV-EH36M31 uses the DRC-MF, while the KV-HR36M31 uses the "improved" DRC-MF V1.

"This unwanted "100Hz Seam" can be seen as either Stationary or Moving. This depends on how the System's Processor is Locked. A 100Hz up-conversion circuit's clock can either be Locked or Unlocked to the 50Hz video's synchronising pulses. In a Locked system the "100Hz Seam" is stationary. In an Unlocked System it moves. Sony's highest quality 100Hz Systems are based on Unlocked Processing techniques, which means this "100Hz Seam" is moving in a Wiper Motion across the picture. Whether moving or not the seam can only be noticed under certain viewing conditions." Taken from Sony Press release (See below).

As I understand it, the KV-HR36M31's DRC-MF V1 is permanently locked. While the KV-EH36M31's DRC-MF is unlocked. This is what I was told. However I could have misunderstood.

I thought some back ground info on the 100Hz Seam (scrolling bar) would be helpful. So here it is.

Sony in the UK responded to complaints about the 100Hz Seam (scrolling bar) and released this in July 2002:

"The 100Hz scan system is used in most large screen quality television receivers and is recognised as giving the best possible picture quality and over comes the Wide Area Flicker, characteristics of 50Hz TV. This system is called "Flicker Free”.

Various 100Hz scanning techniques have been developed such as AABB, ABAB and Motion Compensated Interlaced but all of the system variants inherit an unavoidable side effect known, as "100Hz Seam". This refers to the visual artefact it causes within the picture, seen as a narrow vertical stripe with reduced brightness. It is important to note that this is NOT a fault condition.

This unwanted "100Hz Seam" can be seen as either Stationary or Moving. This depends on how the System's Processor is Locked. A 100Hz up-conversion circuit's clock can either be Locked or Unlocked to the 50Hz video's synchronising pulses. In a Locked system the "100Hz Seam" is stationary. In an Unlocked System it moves. Sony's highest quality 100Hz Systems are based on Unlocked Processing techniques, which means this "100Hz Seam" is moving in a Wiper Motion across the picture. Whether moving or not the seam can only be noticed under certain viewing conditions.

Due to extreme sensitivity to this seam by a small number of consumers, Sony has taken strong steps to reduce the visibility to the lowest possible level. The residual level now visible on Sony models can only be noticed under extreme picture content and viewing conditions.

Whilst Sony takes great care to listen and understand the views of consumers, it is necessary in this situation to be very clear that this artefact is not one that can be totally eliminated and does not affect the fitness of the product to meet its purpose. Sony will therefore not accept claims for repair or replacement of products for this condition other than for those sets that were produced before the final improvements were available. For those sets identified as requiring modification, this will be undertaken by the supplying dealer or service agent with direct support from Sony."

Bear in mind that the KV-EH36M31 was infact a modified version of the European KV-36FS70 model. See:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/...KV-36FS70.shtml

I'm of the understanding that the KV-HR36M31 is basically the same unit as the KV-34XBR910. Less the DVI input and a few other things. See:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....egoryName=tv_36

Here is a PDF on US Model Spec's:

http://www.gwinnetttv.com/video/tvs/30to40...30_34xbr910.pdf

I haven't read about any scrolling bar problem on the US Model. I've checked the AVS Forums. There have been some minor issues I think

Anyway have a look for yourself. See:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=64

Or do a search on the AVS Forums using "34XBR910" and see what you find.

Mark :blink:

Hi Travis

Could someone with this TV tell me if they have this sort of problem, or was that TV just set up really badly?

The TV was badly set up. Onya Sony Central !

Hi DukeBoy

has anyone who's got the new Sony checked for the scrolling bars?

I've gone through 3 KVEH's and am gonna swap it over for the new one as long as it doesn't suffer the same faults, if anyone who has the new one could check it'd be much appreciated.

Note: when i spoke to the rep awhile ago he said that much of the electronics HADN'T changed, so it might suffer some of the same faults, here's hoping he's off the mark.

I too went through 2 KVEH's with the scrolling bars problem. There is no such problem with the new set. Don,t for get this one is made in Japan not Europe.

Hi Zinzan

Angelo, what mode have you been running the tv in - prog scan, double lines or 100hz?

I,m running a Pal progressive dvd player, so its like using a HDSTB you cannot use the TV,s digital processing.

I am having trouble with the connections for the HD inputs...unfortuanately I am using the 2000A for the mean time but the manual is very unclear and fairly confusing 

Just connect the 2000a to HD1 on the TV using good quality component cables and leave the 2000a on 1080i and bob,s your uncle.

Also what are you using to connect you dvd to the tv? subtitles and the picture in general seems to be fairly grainy so I assume I connected it wrong...

Use another set good quality component cables from your dvd player to HD2 on the TV and away you go. If your using a non progressive dvd player I find the 1250 setting is the best, I hate 100Hz digital processing.

Hope that helps

Angelo

Reggieboy.

What DVD signal are you feeding it. Component or Progressive Scan?

Keith m :blink:

Well I have had a bit of a time with that. I have a Harmon Kardon DVD 1 player which has scart outputs and no component red, blue and green phono outputs. I can't get a picture from the DVD player in component rgb, the Sony doesn't like rgb and so I am in the process of getting an rgb to Y Pb Pr component converter from the UK. I have a cheaper Pioneer deck that is for the kids room and that goes through fine in component. I just didn't think it would be an issue. I now know that there are quite a few different forms of "component" and all seem pretty much incompatible with each other to an extent.

So at present I am using the s-video connection with a better than average lead. And the picture is magnificent. I am hoping for a little extra clarity with component and of course truer colour.

I may in the future upgrade to the newer HK DVD 25 which is progressive scan and can play mp3 audio. It also outputs component rather than rgb. It looks like a tasty piece of kit.

By the way if anyone else has experienced the rgb to Y Pb Pr component problem and can offer a converter solution a little nearer to home then please post a reply here

regards

Reggieboy

PS. This tv just gets better each time I see it. I just set up my PS2 with component running into it and played GT 3 for the first time in wide screen. joy mmmmm

There are in fact compression artifacts in the CH9 HD demo. You'll notice them when there is fast moving action (admittedly, there's not a lot of that). One example is when the duck shakes its head whilst swimming in the water. Of course you might not notice it on such a "small" display  :blink:

Sorry yes there are artefacts most definately but for some reason they are not so apparent. The rest of the picture looks so good you tend not to notice them as much

size isn't everything you know, it's what you do with it that counts!

regards

reggieboy :P

thanx for the intel bizzibee, much appreciated, guess i'll go order one through work tomorrow, now to see how long it takes to get one...

Hi Angelo,

Went back to viewing the new Sony today, it was lined up with a Pansonic CRT (the nice wide screen 100hz one), Fujitsu plasma and Sony Plasma. They were all hooked up to DGTechs (the HD version - 2000a?).

The picture was much nicer than the Panasonic and Fujitsu and comparable to the Sony plasma.

I was concerned about the picture though, it wasn't amazing or outstanding, the differences I'm talking about were noticable but not astonishing. So I figured that the Sony wasn't set up right.

So the guy gave me the remote to play with. The only thing was that I forgot to attend University and obtain my Degree in Sony Remote Usability.

After much mucking with the Sony remote I gave up, the other half was spending too much on CD's so I had to go and stop her.

Which leaves me with a few questions:

1. Is the resolution setting (1080i etc) made on the television or the STB?

2. Does the TV automatically switch to the optimum available resolution or do you have to fiddle with the remote? (TV or STB?)

3. From reading posts here it appears that the settings on the TV range from progressive, 100hz and double lines. Which one would you recommend for demo'ing the above 4 screens? Is it just off the TV menu or will I have to book timeshare on the DSE shop floor to set them all up correctly?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long winded post, just like to make an educated choice I guess, like everyone on here I spose.

Cheers

Rod (nobby)

1. Is the resolution setting (1080i etc) made on the television or the STB?

2. Does the TV automatically switch to the optimum available resolution or do you have to fiddle with the remote? (TV or STB?)

3. From reading posts here it appears that the settings on the TV range from progressive, 100hz and double lines. Which one would you recommend for demo'ing the above 4 screens? Is it just off the TV menu or will I have to book timeshare on the DSE shop floor to set them all up correctly?

Answers

1. Its made by the HDSTB

2. When viewing HD1080i the TV does nothing, when viewing 576i the TV digital

processing kicks in.

3. Okay depends what HDSTB they are using,, By the way it must be a HDSTB not a SDSTB, as if the TV recieves only a 576i signal the digital processing kicks in and I hate it. So anyway using a HDSTB putting it on 1080i and connecting it to the HD1 input on the TV, sit back and enjoy.

This way the TV only shows what its being feed and doesn,t muck around with it. I base this on using my Toshiba HDSTB.

Angelo

Angelo,

thanks for the feedback, just acouple more questions...are you using s-video to hook up the dvd? and with your toshiba are you using a 5 colour rca?

Angelo,

thanks for the feedback, just acouple more questions...are you using s-video to hook up the dvd? and with your toshiba are you using a ?

I,m using the 3 component cables for dvd and the Toshiba HDSTB (not the 5 colour rca.)

Angelo

reggieboy,

Here is one SCART (RGB) to Component converter:

http://www.pcx.com.au/asp/CCA_RGBYUV_Home.asp

Another one available here in this PDF Catalogue:

http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/20_12.pdf

However for those prices you could buy a new Sony DVPNS730 Progressive Scan DVD player for approx $285 (street price). See:

http://www.sony.com.au/product_detail_cont...rodCod=DVPNS730

I hope this helps.

DukeBoy,

Your most welcome. I hope the info on what the 100Hz Seam (scrolling Bar)is, and why it happens was helpful. I currently own a KV-EH36M31.

Kindest Regards

Mark

Would any Members of this FORUM that has purchased one of these Wonderfull SONY's would care to share some of your picture settings,as at this stage I dont have any of the commercial setup discs :ie:( Video Essentials).Any advice would be most helpfull and appreciated.

Cheers.

Keith m. :blink:

I saw the KVHR at DSE at Waringah Mall today.

To be perfectly honest...I wasn't all that blown away by it. Maybe I was expecting too much?? I really thought that it wasn't that much of a huge amazing improvement over the KVEH, and, if i were going to purchase a ws tv now, i'd prolly go with the far cheaper KVEH. Of course, these are just my eyes, and it may have been poorly set up in store, but was watching the Nine HD loop (component connection, 1080i), and really...I dunno...just didn't do it for me.

Just my thoughts.

I saw the new KVHR next to the old KVEH at HN Southland in Melbourne and the difference was enormous. I wouldn't buy the old sony TV just because its cheaper. It is no where near as good as the new model.

The 2 sony sets were also set up next up to the Panasonic TX86100A and the 86 Philips pixel plus and all were displaying Channel 9HD. I firstly watched the last 5 minutes of a cooking show (in HD ) then the loop started.

The new Sony was a long way ahead of the rest. The picture on 1080i was stunning and better than the plasmas on the side wall.

I would have loved to have seen this TV in all modes, that is, DVD, 576p, 576i and analogue. There is no way known a HN salesperson would do that for you!!

I'd love to hear from a KVHR owner on those lesser resolutions. Are they also good (relatively speaking)?

I have seen the new Sony HDTV at Sony central also and it was far from impressive! There was plenty of picture over-scan and the picture appearance was lacking. It looks blurry or pixilated. What annoys me is that they have set it up by using one of the cheap Sony amps which supposedly does higher bandwidth switching, between the HDSTB and progressive DVD player. Could it be that this amp is distorting the picture by adding noise?

If it wasn’t a higher bandwidth switching amp would a picture still be displayed but of less quality?

I have no idea why they would need to the amp, doesn't the new Sony have 2 hd inputs!