Sony Kvhr36m31

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it's strange... the retail markup is quite a bit lower than is normal for a Sony product (if the RRP was another $500 it would be more normal). So z3104262 you're getting quite close to trade price from my information (which may be inaccurate and may differ in other states & esp. bigger stores).

Alan, while it seems crazy that HN would drop the price on a product which is supposedly undersupplied I guess we can now assume that that the reason for the backlog is that HN bought the entire first batch or something ;-) Either way that is good news. I'd hope they'll give cash discount on top of that... if not then my bag of cash would be closed and they'd see nice shinny visa plastic.

Major stores would of had/did have pre-orders for this product months ago, so there shouldn't be a problem getting one from them. But if you're one who prefers to go to the smaller stores then you might be waiting a little while. While this happens often for Sony products, this one seems to more than the usual.

No more info. on the STB offer... I wouldn't order it until I can definite about that ~ don't want to end up with a stupid rugby pack and free 24mth fox install instead. :blink:

Yea I'm in the void of... "I'll look then buy... probably." As for prices, I still wouldn't expect it that low until Christmas at least. For interest sake the old Sony 86cm was approx $4000 of Sonys, $1000 markup and $500 to our dear government. At least in Adelaide, I never saw it close to $4500 but cash does have a nice smell to it.

BTW does anyone realise if you get the Rugby Pack + a STB you'll probably end up with 2 footballs? :blink: .... :P

Alan,

The Harvey norman ad was for the KVEH36M31 not the new model incidentaly Harvey Norman have never put the old Sony on ad under $5,499

so do not expect any discounted offerings from them with the new model at least Myer/Megamart/ Grace Bros have 10% off sales on ocassions something I have never seen from HN.

Robert

If it's the old model that was advertised then it makes a lot more sense. Not like HN to have an attractive price.

I finally got a confirmation on the STB offer. It's similar to the PlayStation 2 offer currently going on a few of their other TV's.

For RRP $6499 you'll get the 86cm HDTV, Rugby Pack, Free Fox Instal and a DGTEC box, I believe it's the newer 5000i however didn't get a definite on that. So it's a "free" yet half price STB offer. Like their other offers resellers must purchase it as a pack ~ so no after sale redemption. The offer should be good until November.

Hi all,

I am a PC reseller who has access to Sony consumer items at wholesale although I doubt at the same price as the big boys.

The KVHR36M31 costs me $4308.37+GST = $4739.20 and comes with the Rubgy Pack which I think includes a special 'silver' PS/2 and other stuff. No mention of a digital box from my supplier.

At that price and armed with cash, you should certainly be able to do a deal much less than $5999. If not then maybe I should start selling TV's for a living, sheetloads more profit than selling PC's I can tell you.

:blink:

For RRP $6499 you'll get the 86cm HDTV, Rugby Pack, Free Fox Instal and a DGTEC box, I believe it's the newer 5000i however didn't get a definite on that. So it's a "free" yet half price STB offer. Like their other offers resellers must purchase it as a pack ~ so no after sale redemption. The offer should be good until November.

so what does this mean, you will only get this pack if you pay the full RRP price of $6499??

and does it come with a free STB or not? what does "free" yet half price mean??

They will call it a free STB, but really you're paying more for it (about half price). Same goes for the PS2 deals currently on. The TV can be sold seperately RRP $6K, or in the pack $6.5K. This means if your reseller hasn't purchased the "pack" from Sony and just the TV you won't get your STB. For exmple: for the KVDR29M39 TV + DVPNC615 DVD player deal, the store must buy "KVDR29PK".

So anyone wanting the STB better make sure they get it when they walk out the store. If you pre-ordered then tough luck.

RRP for the pack can obviously be beaten down like any other price, however I'm not sure if the markup is more or less than the TV alone.

If anyone is interested the Panasonic 200A's 76+86cm models (1080i w/ fine pitch tube) are *supposedly* ready to go, so they'll be in stores from next week. So if you don't need that 720p support then it's worth a look comparing them against the KVHR36M31.

There has been mention of a few different "packs" associated with the release of the KVHR.

What is the "rugby pack" and does it require the retailer to order a different part number?

My KVHR was ordered weeks ago as a replacement for my KVEH. I was originally going to receive a refund from Sony but they offered a straight swap for the new model when I mentioned that I was going to use the cheque to pay for it. Now I'm starting to think I may have been ripped off as I have access to "near" wholesale pricing and would have received one of these "packs" if I had purchased the new set myself.

I don't care too much about the set top box, but I'm sure my son would love to have a PS2 and Sony would gain greatly from this as I would have to go out and spend heaps of money on games.

....If anyone is interested the Panasonic 200A's 76+86cm models (1080i w/ fine pitch tube) are *supposedly* ready to go, so they'll be in stores from next week. So if you don't need that 720p support then it's worth a look comparing them against the KVHR36M31.

Are you saying its confirmed the Pana's have no 720 support?

Dealers need to order the code KVHR36M31ARU which is just the normal code with ARU for Aust Rugby Union (i guess) tagged on the end. It does not cost them anything more but they cannot (as far as I know) order the ARU pack for any existing stock they have so you need to make sure that the TV and pack are ordered in especially for you.

I am not 100% sure whether all ARU bonus packs include the Silver PS/2, they all seem to include a rugby ball and a watch and some other stuff but I get contradictory info as to whether all TV's with the bonus pack get the PS/2 as well.

....If anyone is interested the Panasonic 200A's 76+86cm models (1080i w/ fine pitch tube) are *supposedly* ready to go, so they'll be in stores from next week. So if you don't need that 720p support then it's worth a look comparing them against the KVHR36M31.
Sorry folks, I am a little new to this stuff but can anyone tell me what 720p is and whether its likely that I would need it.

And does anyone know the likely price for the Pana 200A?

Few answer below:

Many Sony products are coming with the Rugby Bonus & Foxtel install, these are not 'packs' as such.

The PlayStation 2 offer doesn't apply to this TV (to the best of my knowledge), however it has a pack similar which includes the STB. For exmple: Without Pack : With Pack. The STB will be offered similar to this. If you don't get the STB pack you probably still get the Fox install & ARU stuff (yes, confusing). :blink:

For general viewing, no 720p probably isn't needed in Australia. 720p is technically above 1080i, however it's resolution is lower. Formats go in order of 480p/576p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p. A 720p HDTV will support all the lower formats, so technically is a better set. In Australia there isn't much need for it besides running a Xbox or PC for divx etc. (720p is generally preferred over 1080i in these applications).

As for the Pana 200A's, I have no information showing they will now have 720p support, the only upgrade from the 100A's is the fine pitch tube and hopefully no removal of features eg. 50>150A. So don't expect a new feature set like we got from 10A>100A. I don't have any exact prices on me but the 76cm model will be around $4000 and the 86cm around $6000. Which if you think about it means the Sony is better value since it's a 720p TV... of course if Sony made a 76cm HD model then everyone would be happy :P

The Sony site now has this set featured in their "What's Coming" section - The KVHR36M31 WEGA TV features the biggest breakthrough since Trinitron. .

No mention of any offers, other than the "free" Foxtel deal.

However, it does say "This HR36 will be the first of many Sony TVs that will include the latest technology of Super Fine Pitch and the Wega engine."

Whether this means there will be smaller HD capable sets is yet to be seen.

It's also officially appearing as a link in the Products list now, along with the KVEH36M31, which is still listed at $5499 - makes the new set seem like a bargain :blink:

Devo,

I bought the old Sony at $4,899 & I suppose you can get it cheaper than that elsewhere if you shop around.

So the $5,499.00RRP is just that RRP & it is a price for lazy shoppers.

At the moment $5,999 for the new model is not value, however I concede that the fine dot pitch concept is a selling feature.

Wait a few months & it should come down at least $800.00

Now is the time to get a bargain for the excellent old model perhaps low 4K is obtainable.

Hey

What does everyone think about the new KVHR36M31 model? I'm quite interested to know, as I am having difficulty deciding. I will be a Toshiba STB, PAL Progressive DVD and Receiver.

I cannot decide between the older KVEH and the new KVHR. I can get a great price on the older model, but am unsure how much improvement the new model has.

Many Thanks

O.K. so the new Sony KV-HR36M31 is basically the same unit as the KV-34XBR910. Less the DVI input and a few other things. See:

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/3065

and

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....egoryName=tv_36

Here is a PDF on US Model Spec's:

http://www.gwinnetttv.com/video/tvs/30to40...30_34xbr910.pdf

I did a search on the internet and found the following about the Sony KV-34XBR910 on the AVS forum which "might" relate to the KV-HR36M31. See what you think.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....threadid=295646

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....threadid=295598

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....20&pagenumber=1

There are a total of 205 posts about the Sony 34XBR910 on the AVS forum. For a complete list of these post see here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?...rder=descending

You can do your own search if you like. Go here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?s=

Mark

My KVHR was ordered weeks ago as a replacement for my KVEH. I was originally going to receive a refund from Sony but they offered a straight swap for the new model when I mentioned that I was going to use the cheque to pay for it.

:blink: How ever did you convince Sony to replace the KVEH?

How long have you had the KVEH set? What's it's condition etc. etc.

Cheers

z3104262 the fine pitch tube would definitely be worth the extra cash, much closer to the true definition. I'd still wanna get confimed specs on the fine pitch Panas first though.

motlking the thing should be shipping/shipped now but TV's aren't the sort of thing which people line up for & pre-order so dates of actual store availability will vary greatly. I'm sure all the Sony Centrals will have it in by next weekend, so anyone want to take a look knows where to run to.

Hoffy, I personally think 76cm is as small as you'd want to go for 1080i/720p HDTV's in a small room, 86cm in a regular room. However if Sony did put out a HD 76cm variation then it would give some more options to the quite a few people who are cash straped - putting out HD displays closer to $3k will get more people into HD which is what we all want.