Sign in to follow this  
klomp

Sony Kvhr36m31

Hi Angelo

I am using a DgTec 2000a and Kvhr36m31 combination, set up via the RGB connection.  I assume this is what you mean by the HD VD syc connection.

I am using a Crest VGA to 5 RGB cable.

When I first set it up, I compared it to running through component cables (NeoTec). 

Comparing the two I was unable to see any noticeable quality difference between the two connections.  That said, there was a slight brightness difference (the RGB was slightly darker).  This was less than one bar change in brightness on the TV - so it is slight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that.

So which one do you prefer ?

Angelo

Which do I prefer? Basically, I see them as the same. I really cannot see any quality difference. ie component compared to a VGA-RGB setup.

The reason I am using the VGA-RGB connection, is because I have a VGA switch box located between a Laptop, and STB, that feeds the TV. This set-up enables me to switch between the laptop and STB as required. The other component input is connected to a DVD player.

The only problem that I am still having with this set-up remains the overscan in 4:3 mode. For some reason, the service menu, does not allow proper overscan adjustment for a 4:3 picture. Rather than showing more picture, adjusting the values just makes the screen edges stretch out. Video Essentials shows I have between 1-2% overscan on all modes except horizontally in a 4:3 picture - which is 4%. I continue to search for a solution.

I got a Quote today for the TV only at $4800 is this around the mark or can I do better.

Thanks for any responses in advance, I've learn't alot from all the members posts over the past month or so.

Thanks Dave!

anyone else with any prices for the KVHR36M31 86 cm Sony?

Dave, where was your price from?

Hi Angelo

I am using a DgTec 2000a and Kvhr36m31 combination, set up via the RGB connection.  I assume this is what you mean by the HD VD syc connection.

When I first set it up, I compared it to running through component cables (NeoTec). 

Comparing the two I was unable to see any noticeable quality difference between the two connections.  That said, there was a slight brightness difference (the RGB was slightly darker).  This was less than one bar change in brightness on the TV - so it is slight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that.

Angelo

Which do I prefer? Basically, I see them as the same. I really cannot see any quality difference. ie component compared to a VGA-RGB setup.

The reason I am using the VGA-RGB connection, is because I have a VGA switch box located between a Laptop, and STB, that feeds the TV. This set-up enables me to switch between the laptop and STB as required. The other component input is connected to a DVD player.

The only problem that I am still having with this set-up remains the overscan in 4:3 mode. For some reason, the service menu, does not allow proper overscan adjustment for a 4:3 picture. Rather than showing more picture, adjusting the values just makes the screen edges stretch out. Video Essentials shows I have between 1-2% overscan on all modes except horizontally in a 4:3 picture - which is 4%. I continue to search for a solution.

Sorry I'm a bit late with this thread, But could you tell me about the Crest cable you have(price and where you can get one) as I would be interested in trying it out with my STB(DGTECH 5000i) and by reading your thread the Sony then can be used as a monitor for a computer?, any special requirements.

Also do you know if this cable will be compatiable with the Momitsu V88 1080i DVD player also mentioned in this forum.

Will be greatfull for any information.

Cheers.

Hi Angelo

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that.

Angelo

Sorry I'm a bit late with this thread, But could you tell me about the Crest cable you have(price and where you can get one) as I would be interested in trying it out with my STB(DGTECH 5000i) and by reading your thread the Sony then can be used as a monitor for a computer?, any special requirements.

Also do you know if this cable will be compatiable with the Momitsu V88 1080i DVD player also mentioned in this forum.

Will be greatfull for any information.

Cheers.

Hi Gavin

The Crest cable is available from Home Zone. The City Store is where I purchased mine. From memory it is in the $50-$60 range. There are similar, but cheaper, cables available from JCar (although these need converters to suit the Sony TV).

You mention that you have a DGTECH5000i STB. I do not recall that they have a VGA out terminal. I do not believe you can use that STB with this type of cable. The crest cable takes a vga type plug to the 5-RGB signal required by the Sony TV.

As far as connecting your PC to the Sony TV. The crest (or similar alternative) is the way to do it. The only requirements is that your PC/Laptop can support the resolutions and refresh rates of the Sony TV. Generally all modern PC/Laptops can. I personally am running an old P166 NEC laptop 800x600 res @ 60hz. I have successfully run 1024x768 @60 as well. Over time I plan to update the laptop.

hap,

Thanks for your reply, you are right, on closer inspection to the rear of the STB and a flick through the manual it is a RS-232 connection for a PC for software upgrades, nevermind. I will have a look about the for connection for the PC to TV.

Hi,

Can someone post their powerstrip settings for 540i/p, 720i/p and 1080i for this TV?

Do the settings relate to my video card as well?

E.g. I have an Asus 9600XT.

Cheers,

Ammo

i second that request :blink: . I haven't been able to get 1080i to work yet!

This brings me to the answer that I was searching the forums for. I'm close to buying one of these units. I only have a HTPC in the lounge. That's my whole kit. Does anyone actually use their unit with a HTPC? What are the results? No over or underscan? What are your pstrip settings?

I'm not asking 'have' you done it rather 'do' you use it for PC use, all the time.

I run the 76cm version with my HTPC. I use Powerstrip with the standard 720p mode. I did fiddle witht the service menu wihich almost fixed the overscan/offsided picture but I found that the TV was not always keeping the settings. I would then have to perform this somewhat time consuming ritual again.

I now use Zoomplayer together with fddshow and I found it be the best solution for playing back DVD's and other files on my hard drive. Zoomplayer zooms in and out with the mouse wheel - thus banishing overscan to the history bin for me - and it even (on my setup anyway) self centres the picture if it happens to start lopsided to the left. I can also adjust the picture laterally anyway with the mouse wheel.

I just have to get a cordless mouse and will then be set.

Guest audionoob

Just got KV HR36 set a week ago. Picture quality is really great for a CRT set, but there is one thing that's really bothering me. Glare! With ambient lighting, the glare produces by this set is very bad . The contrast level really drop with my room lights on. I can clearly see my own reflection in the TV set during black scene, and that's a bad thing.

Did some research, and discover that the US set and the Japan set have indicated that it has anti-reflective coating on their model. But there is no indication from any of the specs that the KV HR36 has anti reflective coating. I called Sony service dept about this issue, but they have no idea. Can someone please confirm whether our set have anti-reflective coating?

....Revival! ... It appears that the issues I am having may be some form of overscan that is particularly evident on 4:3 material. Did anyone else experience a black/grey band down either vertical side of the 4:3 area when viewing 4:3 materoial (particularly evident on a black screen).

Revival again :)

I just had the Fly Back Transformer (FBT) replaced on the D-board of my KVHR36M31. This reduced the scanned image size, requiring lots of careful tweaking in the service menu to get the overscanning right (about 3% and no nasty edges).

However one problem remains. A vertical strip about 1cm wide on the left side of the picture which has lower peak levels than the rest of the picture. So that strip looks slightly 'dimmer'. How do I correct this? I've adjusted the horizontal shutter, but this did not correct this problem. Is this a 'Landing Adjustment'? Looking at page 52 of the service manual it suggests that it is.

Thanks for any advice from the old hands at this stuff. :D

BTW I am extremely cautious re changing anything in the service menu. Its all documented and reversable. However I have made major improvements in the PQ and this TV still looks great.

Scott.