Sign in to follow this  
klomp

Sony Kvhr36m31

Overscan settings

Well I took the plunge on the weekend, and entered the service mode to adjust the overscan.

Settings I tried are as follows: (default, adjusted)

VPOS 25, 24

VSIZ 35, 24

HPOS 22, 21

HSIZ 35, 25 (for normal, wide, zoom)

HD Television :blink:

I adjusted the HPOS and HSIZ settings setated above to show the complete picture from the CH9 HD Loop. My DGTEC 2000a is set to HPos 0, V Pos 0

Computer :P

While I am very happy with the vertical adjustment (the HD TV settings are perfect for the computer), I was unable to correct the overscan fully on the horizontal plane for the computer, the HSIZ adjustment did not fully reveal the entire laptop screen - rather it just moved the location of the borders of the 4:3 screen. I noticed that when the KVHR36 was set to "wide", less overscan was present (laptop running at 800x600).

I tried adjusting all of the settings in DEF2, none were useful in correcting the horizontal overscan.

I would be intersted in other's experience in adjusting these settings. Does anyone know of the correct setting to adjust to adjust the horizontal overscan.

Hi,

I have recently a HR36.

I have 2 questions:

1. The analog reception on the HR seems to look worse than my old Telefunken. Is it normal for such a HDTV as the HR?

2. I hook up the antenna to RF-IN in my VCR then RF-OUT to the Digitec 2000A then RF-OUT to the HR. Does this setting optimise the reception as it seems that the VCR serves better as a tuner.

Thanks

1. The analog reception on the HR seems to look worse than my old Telefunken.

Try these settings asand see how you go.

DRC 1250

PICTURE MODE...Personal

Picture 55

Brightness 58

Color 52

Sharpness 15

Color Temp Neutral

To your second question

The 2000a must be the 1st link not the vcr (as told to me by the footy company)

Angelo

1. The analog reception on the HR seems to look worse than my old Telefunken.

Try these settings asand see how you go.

DRC 1250

PICTURE MODE...Personal

Picture 55

Brightness 58

Color 52

Sharpness 15

Color Temp Neutral

To your second question

The 2000a must be the 1st link not the vcr (as told to me by the footy company)

Angelo

That's quick Angelo!

Thanks for your advice! I saw that setting somewhere else in the thread from you. You know where we can get the AVIA DVD from Australia?

I did try the dgtec as the first link but PQ did not seem to improve. With digital TV, does a better quality TV antenna improve reception or it's just a matter of either ALL or Nothing?

Cheers,

nammy

TV antenna improve reception or it's just a matter of either ALL or Nothing?

Cannot answer this one. Were you running a digital box on your old Telefunken ?

Angelo

TV antenna improve reception or it's just a matter of either ALL or Nothing?

Cannot answer this one. Were you running a digital box on your old Telefunken ?

Angelo

I did not have the digitec running on the old Telefunken.

Another question: How would we move the picture horizontally to the right? I had a video test which came with the "Finding Nemo" DVD in which a circle is displayed within 2 square boxes. The outer square did not show the left vertical bar, meaning that the picture is off-centre horizontally.

The "picture position" setting in the HR setting menu does not have H-pos setting, only rotating & V-pos!

Cheers

nammy

Angelo,

The settings on my Sony are pretty much the same as yours except with the brightness setting I have mine down to 49 yours is 58.

Mine has been calibrated from the Star Wars EP2 THX Optimiser Menu where the setting is made when the shadow behind the logo is just no longer visible, I am a bit mystified at the variation in this regard between our settings.

Could any other Sony KVHR owners please report their brightness settings.

Robert

Angelo,

The settings on my Sony are pretty much the same as yours except with the brightness setting I have mine down to 49 yours is 58.

Mine has been calibrated from the Star Wars EP2 THX Optimiser Menu where the setting is made when the shadow behind the logo is just no longer visible, I am a bit mystified at the variation in this regard between our settings.

Robert

I have read on this as well as AVSForum that the THX optimisers are setup to optimise your display for the particular DVD they are included with. I still find this a strange way to do things, as to be accurate all the time you would have to keep tweaking your controls on a movie by movie basis. Anyway, if you want to be 100% sure your levels are at or as close as possible reference I would go off a proper calibration disc like Video Essential, DVE, or AVIA and see how your levels compare following that.

Angelo,

Robert

Just for the hell of it, I stopped using the Pal progressive dvd player and calibrated the Sony using a normal dvd player and my brightness did come by 6.

Figure that one out !!!! :blink:

Yes I know I,ve got to much time on my hands !!!!

Angelo

Which goes to show that these calibration disks are not worth purchasing, really you have 3 adjustments for visual calibrating Brightness, Contrast & Colour & to have variances between progressive DVD players & normal DVD players shows that calibration for DTV viewing is impossible to establish, what is required is a series of test patterns broadcast from the STB as was the case with the ABC test pattern.

At the moment there is no way you can calibrate your display device to Digital Broadcasting obviously a calibration disk is meaningless as Angelo has proved.

That is why I am asking KVHR owners what setting is their brightness level at.

Which goes to show that these calibration disks are not worth purchasing, really you have 3 adjustments for visual calibrating Brightness, Contrast & Colour & to have variances between progressive DVD players & normal DVD players shows that calibration for DTV viewing is impossible to establish, what is required is a series of test patterns broadcast from the STB as was the case with the ABC test pattern.

At the moment there is no way you can calibrate your display device to Digital Broadcasting obviously a calibration disk is meaningless as Angelo has proved.

That is why I am asking KVHR owners what setting is their brightness level at.

Unless you are going to swap around regularly between different progressive and interlaced DVD players I wouldn't be that worried about the level differences when using calibration discs. If you set up your DVD so that you're happy with the levels, then it should be fine for watching DVDs. As for DTV being different, why not configure it as a different memory setting for it's input, that way you can cater for the level differences.

Now that there are a few of us with this TV, how would you rate it out of 10 over all.

Me I,d give it a 9.

Angelo

I would defnitely give it a 9.

BTW something strange I noticed.

I've been using a floorstock model of the T.V. given that I bought one about a month ago and the salesperson accidently resold the one he had in stock. Anyway the brand new T.V finally arrived on the weekend and after we switched over the floor stock model for the new one I noticed 720p is now wokring from my DGTECH 5000 box.

With the floor stock model, 720 only ever worked for about 10 minutes before and I thought the only reason it did was that something was malfunctioning in the DOGGYTECH. All other times 720p didn't work.

Anyway happy now 720p works but has anyone else had similar issues? Maybe The new batch of Sony's have an old synching problem fixed?

Unfortunately the slight overscan is still present....

chuckie

I am very happy with mine 8.9 is my score as the Teletext is not as good as the KVEH36 (no toptext) together with being unable to show Teletext & Seven alongside each other as was the case with the previous model.

PQ is absolutely extraordinary the best by miles.

With the Toshiba STB mine also gets hot to touch but what component doesnt after hours of use .

The Sony shows a blue screen on 720P with the Toshiba STB always, I am suprised that the 5000I shows a pictue on 720P.

On another matter Sydney Weekender is giving away a DOGGY 2000A together with the KVHR36M31 total prize value 6,999 what is interesting is that Nine is plugging the DGTEC200A as being the major contributor to the prize as the Sony TV is hardly mentioned in the competition (it is shown with the HD loop going & displayed as a HD capable television.

With the Toshiba STB mine also gets hot to touch but what component doesnt after hours of use.

If other threads on the Toshiba STB are any guide I would say your STB is faulty.

See the comments on overheating in these:

Toshiba is too hot to touch - is it faulty?

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=2384

Toshiba HD Set Top Box - Feedback from other owners

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=3034

Any one used the HD VD sync using the DGTEC yet ?

Would this produce a better picture than just using the 3 component connections?

Angelo

Any one used the HD VD sync using the DGTEC yet ?

Would this produce a better picture than just using the 3 component connections?

Angelo

You mean the RGBHV input. I have a 2000 and Pana STB with it but I haven't tried it yet. Might get around to it swapping out the 5000i I've got on the Sony at the moment and having a look.

I am looking to buy a Kvhr36m31. How does this unit compare with other 86 CM units on the market?

Currently have a Rank Arena 76 CM which is excellent but lookig for a larger screen size. Rank Arena appears to have gone out of the market and I cannot find any Palsonic 86 CM units. Does this mean that Sony and Toshiba are the only 86 CM units in Australia?? Not too keen to pay the $ 5500+ price.

Any advice is welcome!

Apart from the Sony and the toshiba mentioned, panasonic has a 86cm fine pitch TV and also a digital integrated SD integrated TV. DEC also has a 86cm fine pitch HDTV using the toshiba tube and the other is philips they a have 86cm pixel plus TV that can do 576p. All TVs apart from the DEC have rrp prices of $5,000+ not sure what the retail price for the DEC 86cm TV is.

Any one used the  HD VD sync using the DGTEC yet ?

Would this produce a  better  picture than just using the 3 component connections?

Angelo

You mean the RGBHV input. I have a 2000 and Pana STB with it but I haven't tried it yet. Might get around to it swapping out the 5000i I've got on the Sony at the moment and having a look.

Let me know how you go. Its the only test I can,t do .

Thanks

Angelo

Any one used the   HD VD sync using the DGTEC yet ?

Would this produce a  better  picture than just using the 3 component connections?

Angelo

Let me know how you go. Its the only test I can,t do .

Thanks

Angelo

Did you kick the footy "Out of bounds on the full....... and not retrieve it ?"

:blink: ......... :ph34r:

Hey Dugby

Your new HDSTB has the same connections as the footy ?

If you see me footy kick it back !

Angelo

Hi Angelo

I am using a DgTec 2000a and Kvhr36m31 combination, set up via the RGB connection. I assume this is what you mean by the HD VD syc connection.

I am using a Crest VGA to 5 RGB cable.

When I first set it up, I compared it to running through component cables (NeoTec).

Comparing the two I was unable to see any noticeable quality difference between the two connections. That said, there was a slight brightness difference (the RGB was slightly darker). This was less than one bar change in brightness on the TV - so it is slight.

Hope this helps.

Hey Dugby

Your new HDSTB has the same connections as the footy ?

If you see me footy kick it back !

Angelo

Hi Angelo.

The DTI1500HD has some differences...

additional features:

1) 9 video selections achieved by two switches each with 3 positions (ie 3x3), whereas the 2000a only has 3 video selections by the one switch.

2) 720p

The Thomson does not have the five connection RGB-HD-VD

What I would like to see is a digital photo of the inside of the DGTEC 2000a

Anyone here got one that they can post or email ???

Hi Angelo

I am using a DgTec 2000a and Kvhr36m31 combination, set up via the RGB connection.  I assume this is what you mean by the HD VD syc connection.

I am using a Crest VGA to 5 RGB cable.

When I first set it up, I compared it to running through component cables (NeoTec). 

Comparing the two I was unable to see any noticeable quality difference between the two connections.  That said, there was a slight brightness difference (the RGB was slightly darker).  This was less than one bar change in brightness on the TV - so it is slight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that.

So which one do you prefer ?

Angelo