Sign in to follow this  
klomp

Sony Kvhr36m31

(A friendly reminder:  The service techs should know what the default settings are and should be able to tell if the TV has been modified.  Inappropriate modifications can damage the TV.  Modifications can void your warranty.)

I am terribly sorry guys, I copied the Service manual but have been working late all week (Why does it always seem that you have to complete 2 weeks of extra work before you take a holiday!!). I'll pop it in the post to John, first thing tomorrow morning.

Ian makes a very good point, if your want to make any service menu adjustments copy down the setting values first. Never assume factory default settings (mine certainly wasn't) and don't play with anything unless you know exactly what your doing!!

Edit: BTW, Thanks IanSav, the Mute+0 worked a treat! My settings are saved fine now.

KVHR36M31 Service Manual

Bergust (Geoff) mailed the photocopied service manual to me on Saturday. As soon as I receive it (hopefully today or tomorrow) I'll post a link to this forum so you can download it as a pdf. Not long now...

John

guys,

i just got this TV this week.

hooked it up, did basic adjustments on digital video essentials DVD and thought i would have a little test tun. i was a little dismayed at what i saw playing back DVDs.

firstly, movies in HDTV (1018i) using my DVHS player look AMAZING. no probs there.

secondly, i watched a variety of DVDs on my philips q50 dvd player (outputting 480p for NTSC DVDs) and the same DVDS on my samsung hd-dvd100 (which upscales NTSC DVDs to 1080i) on the other component input. it seems that on DVDs, with static background scenes (eg walls) the picture in the background seems blurry. hard to explain, faces of the actors look fine but walls in the background look blurry. especially dark background walls or bold colour walls.

if someone has a progressive scan dvd player that displays 480p, use component input into the TV and see if you can see what i am talking about.

i then also put in a PAL DVD (i dont have many) in the philips q50, the DVD is then displaying 576p. it looked better but still looks like a "veil" is in the front of background scenes.

and, yes, i realize the camera is focused on the actors but background of walls doesnt look good at all.

this is certainly different than the previous sony TV model i had.

if anyone has got a progressive player and has NTSC with star wars episode 2 DVD, go to chapter 3, now look at the scene in palpatines office, the background on the red walls is awful. it looks like the picture has noise in it and it breaks up all over the place. i could see this on both DVDS.

i havent got a PAL episode 2 but would be great to see if anyone sees the same thing.

so i am wondering why this is happening? is it because the TV has such a great resolution that standard definition DVDS (480P/576p) looks odd in certain scenes??

is there something in the service manual that will prevent this odd phenomenon.

any feedback from other members would be appreciated.

thanks

mark

That's some odd stuff indeed. Didn't have the brightness/black level up a tad too high, that would highlight the compression artifacts in the DVD (especially on dark backgrounds). I must say having had my set for a while now, it's the only set I've got that doesn't have a DVD hooked up to it. I'm going to try it out over the break and see what happens.

firstly, movies in HDTV (1018i) using my DVHS player look AMAZING. no probs there.

could be set to US IRE black level. Some DVD players have a choice of 0 or 7.5 IRE don't know about the DVHS players though.

I can't believe you've got a US DVHS machine! Being the gear head I am I was going to be a smart-ass and import one for myself, but I haven't been able to justify it just yet with the current choice of titles. Have you tried it on good projection setup or HD rear projection TV?

thanks ozHTfan,

would be interested to hear how you go with your dvd player.

if any other members could PLEASE check this out it would be much appreciated.

i dont think my brightness is too high as i set up the dvd player using digital video essentials dvd...

as for DVHS, i live in singapore and there aint no HD here at all and none on the horizon so i just bought a JVC 40K from the US and some movies. all i can say is WOW! this is higher quality than DTV in the US as less compression is used on these....havent had a chance to check it out on a bigger screen/projector (yet)

cheers

mark

Hi Guys/Gals,

Sorry, although Bergust mailed the Service Manual on Saturday it didn't arrive today. Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow, because I'm off to Dubai and Egypt tomorrow night for three weeks.

My pledge to you is that if it turns up in the mail before I leave, I'll post a link here.

John

thanks ozHTfan,

would be interested to hear how you go with your dvd player.

if any other members could PLEASE check this out it would be much appreciated.

i dont think my brightness is too high as i set up the dvd player using digital video essentials dvd...

as for DVHS, i live in singapore and there aint no HD here at all and none on the horizon so i just bought a JVC 40K from the US and some movies. all i can say is WOW! this is higher quality than DTV in the US as less compression is used on these....havent had a chance to check it out on a bigger screen/projector (yet)

cheers

mark

Mark believe it or not I found my Toshiba was set about 4 percent too high after using DVE to check the black levels a few weeks back. I threw on Lord of the Rings TT extended and immediately noticed the macroblocking in the New Line logo, then in every dark background that followed. That is until I turned the black level back a tad. My meridian 598 DVD actually has 2 small black level bars built into it's screen saver, that's very handy as you can really get the brightness spot on that way I've found. Do check the IRE level setting, if available on your source that will cause a major difference in the reference level for black as well.

Gee seeing as your in Singapore perhaps I could still be the first token 'smart-ass' early adopter av/phile in 'Oz' to get one! It's a pity JVC is behind the DVHS technology, because if Sony(which they obviously won't) released that 1080i version of 'Once upon a time in Mexico' I'd be buying one in a heartbeat after hearing about the HD demos of it they were running at this years Cedia show.

ozhtfan,

thanks, with the black level i presume you r talking about changing user menu settings or service menu settings?

with dvhs, yep, JVC is it (and marantz but unit is the same as JVC). the pix are amazing, even though my set is not fully calibrated yet.

as for other movies, i love the movie se7en and a guy on the avsforum web site will tape it for me when HDNET shows it and send to me. so there may be some hope for your movie as well!

cheers

mark

Hi All,

The Service Manual is finally on-line. I've uploaded both a straight PDF, as well as a zipped version. It's 56 pages, so pretty big. Thanks to Bergust for all his help.

You can get the service manual here.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

John

supraman,

Many thanks for converting the manual to a PDF. It is very much appreciated.

Bergust,

Many thanks for getting the Service Manual and for sending a copy to supraman for converting to PDF format. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

Mark

Many thnaks to Supraman and Bergust for all the trouble they have gone to so that all other KVHR owners can enjoy the TV like it was meant to be.

Anyways, never having done anything with the service mode in any of my TV's, I was hoping that whoever has experience in this matter could post the settings that they changed etc in order to reduce/eliminate the overscan problem.

Or would it still be better to get the sony tech to do it?

Regards

JZ

supraman,

Many thanks for converting the manual to a PDF. It is very much appreciated.

Bergust,

Many thanks for getting the Service Manual and for sending a copy to supraman for converting to PDF format. It is very much appreciated.

CHAMPIONS both of you.

The true meaning of Christmas shines thru.

Hi Mark,

I have the same problem with my Sony and Q50 - people look fine, but the backgrounds look fuzzy and not nearly as sharp as they should. If you have any luck fixing the problem, please let me know.

CHAMPIONS both of you.

Hear, hear that's one thing this forum can achieve is helping each other out

well done guys and have a good one :blink::P

cheers laurie

THANKS for posting the service menu!

halcyon,

thanks for the news on the Q50. can your Q50 display PAL DVDs?? if so, do you have this problem with PAL DVDs and NTSC ones......

this is very strange.

any other members see this problem. again, the biggest telltale sign is star wars ep 2 in palpatines office, chapter 3.

cheers

mark

halcyon,

just had a very quick look at the service menu post and looked thru the manual.

ok, looks very odd! for some reason, the settings in the user menu (personal, hi fine, standard HAVE DIFFERENT SETTINGS for GAMMA etc) and also have different settings dependant on what frequency is being received (ie 480p, 480i, 576i, 576p etc)

what does this mean?

from what i can remember (i am on holidays in oz and my TV is at home in singapore), the only user menu setting that you can change contrast, brightness etc. is the PERSONAL setting. (someone pls correct me if i am wrong)

this is what i had my TV set to when i watched my DVDs (i had the user mune controls calibrated using digital video essentials DVD).

BUT looking at the set up for PERSONAL in user menu (page 16), for a 480p signal the gamma and black levels are pumped way up (!)

halycon, try and go to the HIFINE user menu setting, play your Q50 and see what happens. it seems that this setting removes GAMM and BLACK levels. maybe that will work. please try and let me know.

NEXT, i am not sure if this is 100% but to get this TV set up well, i think you would have to calibrate it based on personal setting (as this is the only user menu you can adjust contrast, brightness etc) and calibrate it on one input (component, for example).

but the question is, from the service menu, can you adjust picture settings for 1) multiple inputs (component, s-video etc) and then 2) multiple frequencies (480p, 576p, 1080i etc)???

if not then your optimal setting will be for one input and one frequency which aint too good really.

perhaps someone can go into the service menu and see if this is possible.

cheers

mark

ozhtfan,

thanks, with the black level i presume you r talking about changing user menu settings or service menu settings?

with dvhs, yep, JVC is it (and marantz but unit is the same as JVC). the pix are amazing, even though my set is not fully calibrated yet.

as for other movies, i love the movie se7en and a guy on the avsforum web site will tape it for me when HDNET shows it and send to me. so there may be some hope for your movie as well!

cheers

mark

To clarify: when I was talking about the problems when watching my Toshiba I meant I needed to pull brightness down a tad. When I mentioned IRE level setting I meant in the service menu of the specific player you are using. Not having seen one I have no idea whether the DVHS players allow you to change the IRE setting.

When you talk about getting your mates in the US to record movies off HDNET I wonder how long they'll allow people to make perfect copies with DVHS HD? Judging by the time it takes for movies to get on to HDNET I could be waiting along time for 'Once Upon a Time in Mexico'. I'd say it's probably because people can now record in DVHS HD that the studios don't want anything really new on HDNET. We could have HD-DVD out by the time some of the movies I want come on HDNET, if they ever do.

Hi All,

I considering purchasing the Sony KVHR36M31. My question is how can it look so good in one store and awful in the next. Is HD tv still well in its infancy yet to be properly sorted out. Watching the channel 9 HD loop this TV looks sensational ( the best I've seen) but I don't want to buy this TV to sit at home and watch the ch9 loop. Today I saw this TV ( the sony)next to the Tosiba 36SW9UA it wasn't set on the ch9 HD loop and it looked awful the Tosh was on the ch9 loop and it looked good but not as good as I've seen the sony setup in another store.

Why do these HD sets pixelate (I think thats what the term is) You know the picture seems to break up in boxy pieces? The Tosh was doing it nearly every time the ch9 loop changed from one scene to another. I'd much rather put up with a bit of snow and ghosting from anologue broadcasts then a digital image that breaks up. Is this all just a case of poor setting up ? Do any owners of this set experience the pixelating on their sets at home? I also noticed very prominent horizontal lines running across the screen on what I think was a ABC broacast it looked awful, a red cap on a person playing lawn bowls had a red line protruding horizontally off the visor the length of the cap.

Is this a case of poor quality STB's or do the TV stations have to up the ante? I got a Quote today for the TV only at $4800 is this around the mark or can I do better.

Thanks for any responses in advance, I've learn't alot from all the members posts over the past month or so.

Thanks Dave!

Hi All,

I considering purchasing the Sony KVHR36M31. My question is how can it look so good in one store and awful in the next. Is HD tv still well in its infancy yet to be properly sorted out. Watching the channel 9 HD loop this TV looks sensational ( the best I've seen) but I don't want to buy this TV to sit at home and watch the ch9 loop. Today I saw this TV ( the sony)next to the Tosiba 36SW9UA it wasn't set on the ch9 HD loop and it looked awful the Tosh was on the ch9 loop and it looked good but not as good as I've seen the sony setup in another store.

Why do these HD sets pixelate (I think thats what the term is) You know the picture seems to break up in boxy pieces? The Tosh was doing it nearly every time the ch9 loop changed from one scene to another. I'd much rather put up with a bit of snow and ghosting from anologue broadcasts then a digital image that breaks up. Is this all just a case of poor setting up ? Do any owners of this set experience the pixelating on their sets at home? I also noticed very prominent horizontal lines running across the screen on what I think was a ABC broacast it looked awful, a red cap on a person playing lawn bowls had a red line protruding horizontally off the visor the length of the cap.

Is this a case of poor quality STB's or do the TV stations have to up the ante? I got a Quote today for the TV only at $4800 is this around the mark or can I do better.

Thanks for any responses in advance, I've learn't alot from all the members posts over the past month or so.

Thanks  Dave!

Sounds like a definite case of poor antenna install at the store you mentioned. The antenna distribution systems used in some stores aren't all that digital signal friendly. Could also be a case of the store being in a fringe area, depending on where the store was. Stores in regional areas have been known to use the 9 HD metropolitan service's loop to promote HD sets even though the signal is bound to drop in and out and have macro-blocking on screen as a result.

Thanks for your response OzHTfan

Yeah the store was in Geelong.

Regards Dave!

Yep, there you go. Although still in the Melbourne viewing area, Geelong is definitely on the fringe of the signal, all it would take is a badly placed antenna or substandard install and you'd have a very average digital picture.

Halcyon, I add my voice saying thank you for the service manual post. Most appreciated.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used the manual to change the overscan on the high definition modes. Exactly which settings need to be changed to what?

From the forum I believe that the settings to change are VSIZ on Page 30 from 31 to something between 11 and 13. And HSIZ on Page 31 to something between 11 and 13 for both the widescreen and other modes. Has anyone tried doing this? Where the results worthwile?

For those still after a KVHR36M31 this may be of interest, posted by big-stu in another thread:

Quote: > Well I've ordered myself the Sony 86cm (so I can watch the tennis of course) and speaking directly to Sony - several times - they say it won't be arriving until early Feb. Sony have no 86cm stock in Australia, the only place you'll get the 86cm is from retailers who have stock. <

David Jones at Chatswood had an 86cm model on display on Wednesday afternoon. It was sitting at ankle biter height, so had plenty of finger marks all over it.

DJ's half-yearly clearance is still running so they may price match if you take along some of the prices mentioned in other threads on this forum.