Sony Kvhr36m31

When i set my graphics card to 720x1280 the monitor doesn't know what to do with this resolution it stretches the picture tall. I thought that would proves it to be a 16x9 signal therefore the tv would see it as that also.

Where do you get powerstrip from and how much does it cost!

I'm going to stick my nose in here. Just to keep things conforming to standards. Could you please state things in the format of XXX by YYY. i.e. 1280x720 as oppossed to 720x1280. Saves confusing for new comers etc Oh and keep sthings standard :blink:.

Cheers

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip:

In defining resolutions on a HDTV also connect svhs or composite so if the singal rolls of goes out sync you can still view the windows on the set by setting to standard interlaced inout again. Of course on the display HD we can then flip in and out of interlaced to progressive.

Ease into resoultions firstly by going to convential 800 * 600 add customs res. increments of 800 to 900 to 1000 to 1200 etc on the horizontal increasing both vertical to 720 and the horizontal as well.

Regards

DA

Yeah sorry your right HoffY the res i want to try is 1280 by 720 at 60Hz.

I suppose i can just try it out. I was just a bit worried i could damage the tv, i only got it on thursday! Can trying different resolutions damage the tv ever if you try it for a few seconds? :blink:

Sorry for the dealy but I've been off the air for over a week. My settings for Powerstrip are as follows.

Horizontal

Scan Rate: 38.164Mhz

Active Pixels: 1280 Pixels

Front Porch: 451 Pixels

Sync Width: 40 Pixels

Back Porch: 357 Pixels

Total: 2128 Pixels

Vertical

Scan Rate: 50.018Hz

Active Pixels: 720 Pixels

Front Porch: 5 Pixels

Sync Width: 5 Pixels

Back Porch: 33 Pixels

Total: 763 Pixels

These settings are for a Gigabyte 9200SE with 128 MB

Just looking at the picture now, I can't see the toolbar when I park it at the bottom but there is very little difference to the STB (5000i). I see a great deal more in the horizontal though. So there are now greater overscan issues with my STB than the PC - its just that unless you can compare them you'd never really know.

Has anyone had a technician out yet to fix the overscan issue, or has someone fixed it themselves?

I've worked out how to get access to the service menu, but the listed settings are a little different to those documented in the various calibration guides of the similar(?) US model (KV34XBR910). I've just ordered a service manual for the KVHR36m31 (I should have it in a few days) and should be able to post some detailed references for anyone interested in calibrating the KVHR36m31.

I've noted a similar overscan issue with mine (about 6% on the horizontal), as well as it needs a little horizontal adjustment to the right. But more noticable on mine is a little pin-cushioning deffect at the top L/R of the screen.

I've just ordered a service manual for the KVHR36m31 (I should have it in a few days)

Have anyone tried copying a service manual! almost Bl00dy impossible especially with most pages folding out to A3 size and guess what, the part you require will be where the joint of the pages don't match up! good luck I hope it works out :blink:

cheers laurie

Sorry for the delay in posting, but I have the service manual. Its a fairly sizeable document (around 200 pages, nearly half of which are A3 size!!), but fortunatly the section regarding the Service Menu and calibrations is only about 50 pages worth (all A4 size). The rest is refering to disassembly and schematic diagrams (stuff definetly best left for qualified technicians). I was planning on scanning the relevant section into pdf form, but that still make take me some time. An alternative is if I make a photo-copy and send it on to one person, who makes a copy and sends it on to the next person, and so on.

One thing I have found on my set is that I am unable to save the service menu settings. I am using the specified method of saving (Mute+Jump), but the adjustemts default back to the previous values when I power on again, even from standby mode.

One thing I have found on my set is that I am unable to save the service menu settings. I am using the specified method of saving (Mute+Jump), but the adjustemts default back to the previous values when I power on again, even from standby mode.

I think an earlier poster said the Sony technician also had this problem when he made a site visit. The technician was going to go away and look into the problem, but I don't recall hearing the outcome ...

John

bergust,

your idea sounds great, i live in singapore (i have friends in australia that can forward stuff to me), so perhaps there is a member that wants to receive/distribute copies?

i think that if that person pays you for your first copy and then we pay him for any copies he does, to cover cost/time/mailing.

anyone want to do this? i would only think a handful of us would want the manual.....

in the mean time, we need to try and learn how to save settings otherwise the manual ain't much use....

cheers

mark

Hi Guys,

I think an earlier poster said the Sony technician also had this problem when he made a site visit. The technician was going to go away and look into the problem, but I don't recall hearing the outcome ...

That earlier poster was me! :blink:

I'm expecting the Sony guy back tomorrow morning (Tuesday) to have another go at saving the settings.

Regarding copies of the manual, I would have thought that one conversion of the manual to PDF and then posting it on a website would be the easiest form of distribution.

Regards,

Ian.

I would be interested in people's experience with the service menu.

I used the Display/Teletext, 5, Vol + and Power sequence described elsewhere in this forum.

This brought up text overlaying a TV picture.

Using the 1 and 4 buttons I could scroll through a large quantity of text, till I came to an all black screen with a grid on it and markers on each edge and corner of the screen. I am personally interested in adjusting the overscan percentage.

I then tried the 6 button. The screen went blue imediately - still showing the grid and markers, but nothing else changed. I tried 3, to go back, again nothing happened. No markers moved.

Rather than risk anything, I turned off the power at this point. No ill efects observed.

Has anyone got further than this?

Hi All,

Just had a second visit from the Sony tech. We are now able to save settings in the service menu. The solution was to press the "0" (Zero) button instead of the "Jump" button to execute the save function. The manual appears to be wrong! (A friendly reminder: The service techs should know what the default settings are and should be able to tell if the TV has been modified. Inappropriate modifications can damage the TV. Modifications can void your warranty.)

The picture size and position on my TV is better but we hit a different issue. The settings for the HD input conflict with those required for the built-in tuner and those for my DVD player. That is, we couldn't set the size and position for each input independantly. We set the picture to an "average" mid-point but there is still significant data loss on the HD image. (For example, the Channel 7 news crawl at the bottom of the screen is still cut in half but the DGTEC 2000A volume control is now visible.

The tech is going to research this more with Sony and get back to me. The tech may drop in to take some digital photos to show Sony the extent of the problem. I will post updates when possible.

Regards,

Ian.