Sony Kvhr36m31

I purchased the sony kvhe36 on the weekend and have to say its the best picture I have ever seen on a TV. It easily compares to the HD plasma sets and half the price. :blink:

I got it for 5200 including the DGtec 5000I box from mega mart. I had to send a voucher to redeem it.

Cheers

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased the sony kvhe36 on the weekend and have to say its the best picture I have ever seen on a TV. It easily compares to the HD plasma sets and half the price. :blink:

It blows away any plasma I've seen - thie picture on this TV is incredible - nothing else Ive seen can beat it...

How are people finding stock levels?

I ordered mine from the goodguys and I was told I would get in a few weeks. It appears some stores are struggling for stock and others aren't. I guess its the luck of the draw when you order.

It depends on the store.

Myer MegaMart is keeping these TVs in stock.

Good Guys on the other hand dont keep an on hand and order them as required.

I ordered mine from the goodguys and I was told I would get in a few weeks. It appears some stores are struggling for stock and others aren't. I guess its the luck of the draw when you order.

It depends on the store.

Myer MegaMart is keeping these TVs in stock.

Good Guys on the other hand dont keep an on hand and order them as required.

Now you tell me! :blink:

I got mine a week ago from Mega Mart - and they had it in stock.

Paid $4880, got the free 5000i and it was in stock for immediate delivery - very happy indeed.

Legendary effort mate, makes my $5200 for the set only delivered and install 2 days later seem ordinary, not to mention no sign what so ever of a bonus STB. I had been saying to myself up till now with all the folks that had done better deals but had to wait weeks for delivery that I never mind paying a little bit more if the items in stock, or the cost of time as I call it.

The benefits of buying from bulk retails as opposed to the local dealer I guess.

Hi Barri,

Rang JB HiFi (Chadstone - Melbourne) on Tuesday to see if they had them in stock. Went in at 15:00 Thursday to pay for it (busy on Wednesday). It was delivered by 16:00. Took 4 of us to move it into the house. Installed it by 16:15. Gobsmacked by glorious images for the rest of the evening!

In my price hunting I found most stores said they either had stock in the store or had access to stock in another local branch.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi J Draks,

I also had three people helping me set up the TV.

Has anyone recieved the bonus 5000i box from Sony and is it any good? 

The sales man said it should take about two weeks to get it from Sony.

The 5000i came with the set.

I am selling the 5000i to a friend to help pay for the TV so I can't comment on its merits. (I already have a 2000a and don't want to lose the DB15 / RGB output.)

Regards,

Ian.

I also had three people helping me set up the TV.

When I had it delivered the delivery guy had to remove it from the box to get it through the frount door!

I also purchased the Sony stand, which comes in a flat pack.

I had to assemble the stand and then lift the TV onto the stand by myself (of course I could have waited :blink: ). I can tell you this TV is BLOODY HEAVY.

I have difficulty just lifting it the 30cms up onto the stand....

Hi All,

What about the strap arrangement, that comes in the box, that you attach to the back of the set and to the stand or wall to stop the front heavy screen from tipping forward off the stand! (Don't let little children play in front of an unsecured set! :blink::P )

This is one BIG and HEAVY television.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi All,

What about the strap arrangement, that comes in the box, that you attach to the back of the set and to the stand or wall to stop the front heavy screen from tipping forward off the stand! (Don't let little children play in front of an unsecured set! :blink::P )

This is one BIG and HEAVY television.

Regards,

Ian.

That one thing I really like about the Sony stand.

It has a weaved nylong strap (like a car belt) and a buckle to attach it join the TV and stand together firmly.

It also has plastic 'fingers' that mate up inside the bottom of the TV to stop lateral movement.

Hi Laurie,

So if service is needed how are you going to get it to the service centre!

cheers laurie

ps at least it requires 3 thieves to steal it!

They come to you?!?! :blink:

On a serious note, I hope that this model is more reliable then the previous one. I would rather not have to even think about getting the unit fixed, least not trying to get it to a service centre. So far, I haven't read anything seriously negative about this model. The only "concern" I have, so far, is the amount of overscan. I am nearly losing the 9 HD watermark off the side and bottom of the screen. Some of the DGTEC 2000A status icons are almost completely invisible. The THX tests lose the outer rectangle totally. This is not a serious problem and will probably get the techs out next week to have a look. If GetManual get the service manual online I may even pick up a copy and sort this out myself.

(Still loving the picture! Getting used to the remote control. :P )

Regards,

Ian.

I had to assemble the stand and then lift the TV onto the stand by myself...

Ouch :blink: Can anyone say L4-5, L5-S1 disc prolapse with nerve root impingement requiring a laminectomy or discectomy?

That was actually a fairly dangerous thing to do (both to your back and to the TV if you dropped it), not just because of the weight but because of the awkward position you would have to be in to lift it. This is a two-person-minimum TV.

That one thing I really like about the Sony stand.

It has a weaved nylong strap (like a car belt) and a buckle to attach it join the TV and stand together firmly.

It also has plastic 'fingers' that mate up inside the bottom of the TV to stop lateral movement.

Yep, it's a very good stand :blink:

The only bad thing about it (apart from the price) is the fairly narrow (vertically) shelf space and the fact that the shelf height isn't adjustable. I have to put my centre speaker on the bottom shelf as it won't fit in the top one (and it only just fits the bottom one). Some centre speakers wouldn't fit at all.

I had to assemble the stand and then lift the TV onto the stand by myself...

Ouch :blink: Can anyone say L4-5, L5-S1 disc prolapse with nerve root impingement requiring a laminectomy or discectomy?

That was actually a fairly dangerous thing to do (both to your back and to the TV if you dropped it), not just because of the weight but because of the awkward position you would have to be in to lift it. This is a two-person-minimum TV.

Your thinking like a medico...I didnt lift it straight up.

I though like an engineer and used leverage and mechanical advantage to lift it.

Still heavy though

The only bad thing about it (apart from the price) is the fairly narrow (vertically) shelf space and the fact that the shelf height isn't adjustable. I have to put my centre speaker on the bottom shelf as it won't fit in the top one (and it only just fits the bottom one). Some centre speakers wouldn't fit at all.

I agree on that - I cant even fit my centre speaker on the upper shelf either.

Since I didnt want to put the centre on the bottom shelf, I have it sitting on top of the TV. I used some self adhesive felt feet of a couple of different thicknesses to keep it 1mm above the nice shiny finish of the TV.

I currently have can CD folder on the shelves.

IanSav,

That does not sound at all right. I can still see the 9 HDTV logo perfectly and there is still room around it. I do however lose significant image from L+R compared to my HTPC. There is very little lost top and bottom.

I'm using the 5000i do it might be the STB unless you have eliminated that on another set.

I'd do a warranty call if I lost that much image. Let Sony earn their bucks.

What do you find on DVD?

Regards

ps you're not in Adelaide are you?

Hi DVDHack,

That does not sound at all right.  I can still see the 9 HDTV logo perfectly and there is still room around it.  I do however lose significant image from L+R compared to my HTPC.  There is very little lost top and bottom.

I can see all of the 9 HDTV logo but not much more. I am comparing the image on the Sony to the image on my Philips 17" computer screen I was using prior to my Sony purchase.

I'm using the 5000i do it might be the STB unless you have eliminated that on another set.

I have a DGTEC 2000A connected to the TV. (I sold the 5000i I got with the TV to help pay for the set.) I am happy with my 2000A, or at least used to its quirks, and I didn't want to part with the DB15 connector. I didn't have a chance to try out the 5000i before it went.

I'd do a warranty call if I lost that much image.  Let Sony earn their bucks.

The GetManual people got back to me and said they won't have a KV-HR36M31 manual any time soon. :blink: I will book a Sony service call next week.

What do you find on DVD?

As I said in my earlier post, the THX Optimiser shows that I am losing the outer box totally on one side and partially on the other three sides.

Apart from the missing picture, I love this TV. Images are bright, clear and detailed. I can't wait to try out the Momitsu DVD player.

One benefit I wasn't expecting is the Sony and my Pioneer DVD player are working cooperatively to automatically switch from 4:3 mode to widescreen. That is, I normally leave the TV defaulting to "Normal" for my analogue inputs but when I put a widescreen DVD on the TV automatically switches to "Full" on all widescreen components of the DVD but stays in "Normal" where appropriate.

ps you're not in Adelaide are you?

Nope, I'm in Melbourne.

Regards,

Ian.

I had the opportunity to view this set on Sunday at a nearby Sydney Hi-Fi store when the "Sunday" program was being broadcast. It was the first time I've seen a HD broadcast that wasn't the nine demo loop. I must say that the demo certainly sucks you in to HD because the the regular broadcast didn't. Whilst Jana looked good the blue background of her set was clearly banded (ie not smooth in colour transition) and it had an annoying flicker in it. It was connected to a Toshiba STB via component. I'd be interested in your observations.

To make the viewing experience worse each story article and ad break was a different aspect and picture quality. I guess what whilst HDTV hardware is pretty good there aint much point to it without the software.

Rgds,

DonR

I share the disappointment, when they regulated for minimum content in HD they should have regulated the quality at the same time. While some news services and hosting programs are "in HD" the quality of the material is poor. Particularly location shoot (most of the news) seem to be very poor - SD cameras I expect. Applying a scaler should not qualify as HD.

Having said that, some of the programs that I have seen in HD are just superb - more please.

IanSav and others with overscan problems -

The KVHR has a well known overscan issue that has been discussed ad infinitum by myself and others earlier in this thread.

Some people claimed that this was due to my setting up of the TV but later analysis, confirmed by technical reviews on the net suggest that you do in fact lose around 5% of the picture on each side and a little less top and bottom.

The only way to fix this is to get into service mode and use AVIA test signals to get the rest of your picture back. As this is a digital set, you should theoretically be able to do this but you need to be careful how it is done to preserve aspect ratios and geometry of the image. Not something to be done lightly! :blink:

When I get around to it, I'll be getting the Sony techie to come around to fix this.