Sony Kvhr36m31

actually bad news...called up various stores (JB, Clive Peters, Harvey Norman) and looks as though there won't be stock available for another couple of weeks :blink:

and for those who wanted a rough price on markup I have been hinted around $4600...

Noway I would pay retail for anything :P

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been down to the shops this morning and I'm pretty sure I was looking at the new Sony at Dick Smith Power House (Preston).

Physically it looks absolutely stunning with a nice dark edge around the rim of the tube. The extra 10cms looks all the difference over the 76cm models (in the shop - might over power my small lounge but I could live with that).

The picture crapped all over everything else in the store (including the plasma displays). There was no Rank setup next to it though and I've never demoed a Rank so I'm not sure how it would stack up.

Price on the tag was $5995.

Brashes has it advertised for $5995 with free foxtel installation but I didn't see it in store ( I wasn't looking for it though ).

BTW: How much is the Rank 86cm and does anyone know where I can get a view of it? ( Melbourne )

I just saw it at DSE Carnegie.

The salespeople left me alone (I appreciated the poor service) so I was able to really play with it. It was connected to a Panasonic HDSTB which was set to 1080i. The channel 9 loop looked stunning, the channel 7 loop(upscaled) looked very good bit I thought the upscaled SD channels didn't look as good as the rank but not far below it. It was connected by good quality "monster" component cables. There appeared to be a good supply of connections. There were two component connections and the usual supply of other connections.

The actual unit looked very stylish and I think the best part of this TV is its HD quality. I thought, however, my 12 year old 4:3 TV has a better SD picture ,through a toshiba HDSTB, than this new Sony.

The best part was that DSE would provide an extended 4 year warranty on top of the original 12 monthe sfor under $200. That's good value.

I agree with nobby in that its HD picture looked better than most of their plasmas. SD was not as good but OK

The salesman offered me the floor model (which was only on display for less than a day) for $5499, $500 off the RRP but I'm going to wait till I can get it for less than $5000.

I'd love to hear if any can get this for below $5000.

It seems that most DSE shops (larger superstores) in Melbourne have one or two in stock.

John

Just had a chance to see it, its very impressive, got a chance to watch some Chan 9 HD loop and SDTV V8 Supercars. without a doubt it owned all the other sets in the store including plasma displays. time to order me thinks :blink:

Just going to add that Sony have an add on TV for this new set I just caught it before. So keep a lookout

Just saw it at DS Powerhouse, Warringah Mall. The chanel 9 HD loop looked incredible. Also saw the V8 Supercars in action and was impressed. The only thing I didn't like about the tv was some of the styling. The dark plastic surrounding the glass was semi gloss and hence a little reflective - but that's being picky! It will be interesting to see what people can negotiate for this model.

a report from the trenches out P'matta way...

DSE - have had it up on display a couple of days - sold 3 yesterday (gee you guys are quick!). Was quickly willing to either throw in the footy (pity I'm wanting the Tosh STB) or sell the set only at $5500. "... but come back and see me if you get a better price"

JB HiFi - similar story

Bing Lee - none in stock, still flogging off the old model - I had to point out the new model on the web to the sales guy before he believed it existed. To the guy's merit he did some further snooping about and discovered that they have 30 on order (I guess that's in BL's stores across Sydney) that will be available in a week's time. Offer of $5200 for telly only.

Lifestyle - Only had the old model (last one on floor was going for about 4k) and interestingly was side by side to a Rank 86 (they really do exist!). Will be getting the new model when the old one is snapped up by a not so 'bleeding edge' punter. The set up should make for some interesting comparisons between the reigning king and the would be pretender.

I haven't tried the Good Guys or the mega stores along Auburn - so I'll be interested in any reports from other potential buyers.

... As for picture quality - well looked good against the current crop of 86 HD sets and I was heartened to see it set up using component inputs and monster cabling. There was some obvious geometry issues (especially displaying 4*3 in the middle of the screen - the picture wasn't properly centred and there was bowing of the picture edge in the top right hand corner) so I would be looking for a good installer. Though when compared against a Sony plasma (c. $11.5k) it was a much sharper and more colourful picture.

So - should we wait to compare against the new Pana??? Not sure, but leaning towards the Sony at this point - heck I can buy some decent speakers for the money saved on not buying a plasma.

Looking forward to hearing from Angelo on the details of his review...

cheers -- Zephre --

Saw a new sony only the floor straight out of the box at JBHiFi Melbourne today. Problem was I was on lunch and in a hurry and there were no bloody assistants around to give me a price!

I'll work on them soon for a good price and post it here. Here's hoping the price plummets, along with the way all tv's have been in the past few years.

Ah thats crazy!!

As i understood it...the "free" hdstb was a promotion from Sony, i.e. redemable through them, and hence shouldn't affect the price the stores can you the TV at. At least...that is what I was lead to believe by the rep at Bing Lee.

I purchased a Sony 4 year Extended Warranty for my KV-EH36M31 (older Model) for $250. So my unit will be in warranty for 5 years.

See:

http://www.sony.com.au/content.asp?go=exte...y.asp?article=6

See Sony Warranty Conditions here:

http://www.sony.com.au/content/consumer_su..._conditions.asp

and:

http://www.sony.com.au/objects/other/AV-Ex...rantyTerms.html

I don't have any regrets. I guess it comes down to value for money. Which one do you think offers the best value for money. I guess that is the question you have to ask yourself.

Mark

I too have the extended warranty for my KVEH36M31 through Myer/ Grace Bros/ Megamart for $189 total warranty 5 years.

More importantly Myer offer the 3 strikes policy that is if the set requires repair on more than 3 occasions it is classified as a lemon & a full refund applies.

Now lets see,speaker covers peeling off- Strike 1.

Robert R