Sony Kvhr36m31

Hoffy, I personally think 76cm is as small as you'd want to go for 1080i/720p HDTV's in a small room, 86cm in a regular room. However if Sony did put out a HD 76cm variation then it would give some more options to the quite a few people who are cash straped - putting out HD displays closer to $3k will get more people into HD which is what we all want.

Yes for sure i totally agree with you there. If it helps show a bit of HD and help it on its marry way then by all means. But my reasoning was that the smaller the set.. the less "HD Greatness" you actaully get to "see" and be "wowed" by and just doesnt show off HD for what we know it can do - is all. :blink:

PS. you may start a thread on the Pana's if you like as i'd love to have a thread to check out for info as i'm interested in them greatly. Know a guy that will do a great deal "mates rates" for me on pana's only :P And i mean GREAT!!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoffy - As chronomagister said, the positive thing about a 76cm HD set would be about $ savings, and fitting into smaller rooms too.

But I suspect you're right, in that 76cm is probably right on the borderline for HD not being worthwhile. Then again, even 86cm sets look small in showrooms :blink: I'm sure the size has much more impact once it's in your lounge room...

Even though the KVEH must be available at run-out prices now, I'm really looking forward to seeing the KVHR in action. If it's as good as the press around it says, it will be tempting even with the premium price.

:blink:  How ever did you convince Sony to replace the KVEH?

How long have you had the KVEH set? What's it's condition etc. etc.

I havn't actually received my KVHR yet so I don't want to say anything that might jepodise this! I've been told to expect delivery mid september.

I have had ongoing problems with my KVEH for the past eleven months. The geometry is very bad resulting in straight lines appearing "bent". I have not experienced any of the "normal" problems associated with this set and I havn't found anyone else with problems similar to the ones I experienced so I am convinced that the KVEH is a great TV, I just got a lemon. It's been back to the local service centre once and they have been out on site a number of times. Fortunately I documented everything. This documentation seemed to make all the difference.

Hello People,

Just logged in to see the great news of the new SONY 86cm WSTV.

I have been waiting for the new release ever since I read of problems with the old SONY (Scrolling bar Issue), I was very close to buying the Philips 86cm Pixel Plus, but now I will definately wait to see if this NEW SONY has improved from the last one.

Does anyone know if they fixed the problem that the old SONY had with the bars scrolling across the screen ?

Thanks dinobuzz

I personally think 76cm is as small as you'd want to go for 1080i/720p HDTV's in a small room, 86cm in a regular room.

How do you define "small" & "regular"? With a bit of re-arranging I can get a max viewing distance (from set to sofa) in my room of 2.7 metres. I've seen 86cm sets and though they look good in the stores I'm a concerned they may be a bit too much for my viewing distance and I should stick to a 76cm set. Any opinions?

Why woudlnt you take a larger display as you can get your hands (or wallet) on? REgardless of room size i would have thought the bigger.. the better :blink: (well unless the display was larger then your room.. butyou get my point i hope).

(they say best viewing distance is 5 or 7 times the vertical hieght of the display...)

How do you define "small" & "regular"?  With a bit of re-arranging I can get a max viewing distance (from set to sofa) in my room of 2.7 metres.  I've seen 86cm sets and though they look good in the stores I'm a concerned they may be a bit too much for my viewing distance and I should stick to a 76cm set.  Any opinions?

I'm looking at a max. distance of 2 metres, a regular distance of around 1.2m and at times I'll be around 40cm away since I'm not intending one of these units for a living room, since I do media work in this room. So you're lucky, at least you won't have to move your neck to see the whole picture :P

As Hoffy seems to do a good job to suggest, bigger is better. If you can fork out the cash then try to get the larger size. In the long term you'll be thankful. The same goes for 19"/21" monitors, it's costly but does make a difference. The other advantage of 86cm is you get two more choices, the old & new Sony sets.

checked in at local clive peter's to check on release and apparently they are getting them late this month...don't know if this is the case everywhere else but if it is it will be very dissapointing 

I've already said there's some major stock shortage on this one... and it seems to be worse than I thought. Anyone in Adelaide wanting one will probably be waiting at least a month. Even the suprisingly helpful person at Harvey Norman said his manager would probably be ordering some in this weekend. Whether that means they are on a 2 month queue or not I don't know.

Maybe the Pana 86cm CRT will be in store before the Sony now... :blink:

EDIT: Kev, I consider this room small, it's 2.5 by 3 metres. 2.5x2 of walking space and the end metre is a large bench.

dinobuzz

Its a totally different TV .

I,ve seen one operating and it looks fantastic. The T.V  its self has a wild looking cabinet to match the P.Q. of the tube.

Angelo

:P Angelo, I'm guessing you had the privelige to preview this tv in a pre-release or something...if not (hoping :blink: ) does that mean the tv has been released?

:blink: Groover,

Thanks for your feedback, man I have been hanging out for this NEW SONY TV, I read months back how you had issues with the OLD SONY, and I have been hanging out ever since for SONY to bring out a new TV, from your description, its sounds fantastic, do you know of any in depth knowledge about any issues with this one ?

I was just about to buy the Philips Pixel Plus, but NOW I think I will wait till this NEW SONY is available. And I'll be rushing out to buy it.

Thanks dinobuzz

dinobuzz

Its a totally different TV .

I,ve seen one operating and it looks fantastic. The T.V  its self has a wild looking cabinet to match the P.Q. of the tube.

Angelo

:P Angelo, I'm guessing you had the privelige to preview this tv in a pre-release or something...if not (hoping :blink: ) does that mean the tv has been released?

Yes to the first

No to the second.

Angelo

Hi Angelo,

Given your experience with so many brands of TV, how would you rate the new Sony in comparison to the other makes and models you have seen, or owned :blink: . How does it compare to the older Sony model? If you were in the market for another HD set would you consider the new Sony?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Regards,

Ian.

dinobuzz

Not everyone has / had problems with the kveh tv. I've had mine since December and its being working like a charm. The HD picture is unreal, even the ED picture on ch 70 looks good.

To everyone else

If the new model is too expensive get the older one at a bargain price, you won't regret it.

ps. No I don't work for sony.

over and out. :blink:

... had a quiet chat with a sales droid in J&B P'matta last weekend. An indicative price of $4999 was mentioned. (Nothing written down of course!)

Given that everyone is offering the footy as part of the offering - courtesy of a Sony redemption - it seems like it'll be easy to get a price well under 5K with the footy included (and I'm not talking rugby promotions). :blink:

I'm looking forward to hearing from the local gurus as to how this set stacks up against the Rank 86.

If it's on par then at least having a decent distribution network will allow for some competitive pricing.

-- Zephre --

$5999 plus a 'free' footy is a joke...anyone that pays retail for this set will help folk like me bargin it down like I'm shopping in Bali!

I really think the superfine pitch will close the deal for me...i think it should blow people's socks off - can't wait to see it.

It will be funny however seeing Hardly Normal displaying this set hooked up to a SD Teac STB and feeding a crappy fuzzy analogue signal into it with a $5999 price tag on it and watching people try and work out why it costs so damn much :blink:

Had to laugh. Harvey,s in Adelaide were going to offer the new Sony with the 5000i footy and the rugby pack for $5999.

But because they have had so much trouble with the new footy. The Sony Reps are so worried what the 5000i quality they are trying to change it to the 2000a footy.

Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

If you try real hard you will get the new Sony for $4890 without all the stupid footies

Angelo :blink:

To Top