Sony Kvhr36m31

In regards to the HDSTB offer, contacted Sony but was told there's no word on it yet... I'm thinking it *may* be a post-rugby world cup promotion, if so, guess that means more waiting if I buy it.

As I understand it, the free STB is a promotion from Sony's marketing arm...so it depends who you speak to at Sony I suppose. Sony Marketing may not (given corporate beuracracy probably dont) have any contact with phone support etc.

Hmm...the main reason ive waited on the sony, and not gone the philips, is because of future compatibility. (the philips only taking 576p). But now...with no dvi input on the sony...seems like it could get outdated very very quickly, which puts me in a heck of a position - because i want an HD display now!!!!

How far off does everyone reckon hd-dvd will be? 3-4 years? maybe sooner? the format there will probably be 1080, right? (but will it be "i" or "p"). So something else to consider is that hardly any display devices at the moment will do 1080p...again puts the sony in a troubling position for future compatibility. (of course, i suppose it would be possible to give it a downscaled 720p image or something....wouldn't be perfect though).

So....should I maybe hold back on getting the new sony when it comes out?? Conundrums abound!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been waiting for over a year to buy a HDTV. We currently have a 1 x 1 pixel hand me down TV :blink: I've had enough of waiting. If you don't go for this Sony then what are u going to get? Once the sony is out, I will check it out and will consider. I will not be buying it at $5999. Will only consider it if it's less than $4500. Maybe around christmas :P

chrisB, yeah, thats the problem...if I don't go this sony, what am I going to get?

Groover...I'm not so much worried about what the actual tv can display...(although someone mentioned they think the sony does about 1400 of the 1920 lines of HD) but whether it will be future compatible....i.e. with HD-DVD...will i be able to get a signal into the sony?? one would assume that future hd-dvd players will come with component outs, but still.

I'm the same as a few of you, I put off buying a HDTV until the quota came into effect but bought the STB ages ago. Since I heard everyone was releasing 'fine pitch' models soon I've waited a few more months but I have to draw the line. I guess it's each to their own.

Zinzan inregards to HD-DVD, you'd expect that anything will be backward compatible. Component is the standard for HD, think of it like the new composite if you will. If you look at the current Blu-ray HD recorder it can output at either 480i, 720p or 1080i and outputs in YPbPr, but still has all the old connections. So nothing to worry about... you'll be able to play your HD-DVD whenever it's sold here on whatever TV you have... including those still waiting for their DVI TV :blink:

chronomagister,

On the picture, I see NO analog component video outputs.

I DO see a D1, D3, D4 (whatever that is) connector, and an iLink connector (compressed HD bitstream? or DV-only SD?), but no analog component outputs.

The Composite & S-video outputs are SD only.

Craig.

Sorry my fault for not pointing that out. The thing marked D1/D3/D4 is a D-terminal which is a Japanese version of component carrying the YPbPr signal plus additional information such as screen ratio, resolution and BS programming data. That model has an inbuilt broadcast satellite tunner hence no HD inputs only the one ouput and D2=480i(525i),D3=1080i(1125i) and D4=720p(750p).

Damn those CRTs have huge bezels. Is it just me beingspoilt by small bezels on the amazing Samsung LCDs or does huge bezels always seem to make displays look smaller? Must be some type of postage stamp effect.. very sucky (technical term there lol) :blink:

Yeah, I'd kinda agree with that Hoffy. It's a complete optical illusion though.

The Panasion 100A 86cm has no speakers on the side from memory, but the Sony KVEH36 does, and when i looked at them in the store, the sony looked "smaller". Measured actually screen size, and it was exactly the same.

Not really a huge concern though. I'm pretty much set on getting the new Sony KVHR36 now.

Yep for sure its an illusion. But a damn sucky one thats for sure. 6k is a lot to spend on a TV.. espeically one thats only 86cm in size. If it were 3k i'd seriously consider them. But gosh... its no wonder DTV's arent flying off the shelves when they are at such a price. Damn shame (especially when you look at direct U.S. converson rates.. somenes robbing us blind.. no two ways about it).

Well the US gets ripped off if you compare to some of the Asian markets... so don't feel so bad... or maybe feel worse. :blink:

As for how it looks, I really think it depends on the room. Most show rooms make 86cm look small, meanwhile I've got a 2.5 metre wide room and a space of 1005x750mm to fill in... so in this room it will probably look too large but... (since when was there such thing as too large? :P )

I think people should remember that DTV is meant to be cheap but HDTV isn't and won't be for a while. Of course most of us in this thread wouldn't see the point in SD DTV.

....(since when was there such thing as too large? :P )...

I dare say some of the ladies may be able to answer that :blink:

Seriously though... I think HD is not meant to be expensive at all. Its just "cool" and there for ppl put a high price on it. That combined with the fact its new. Which is also partly the "cool" thing i speak of. ehehe. damn them.

Well it looks as if we get shafted again here in AUS, but Sony couldn't really give a crap about this issue. Sony are a company that do not give a crap about the consumer or the reseller. Sony know that they will sell the stock no matter what, they have had this attitude for years and will continue to do so at their current rate.

While at this moment we have bugger all DVI based components there will come a time when we will and users who get this set will miss out in the future, pretty poor in my opinion.

Sony know that they will sell the stock no matter what, they have had this attitude for years and will continue to do so at their current rate.

Yes it seems to be going this way. Which is in the relms of the pont i tried to make. They put whatever they want on the market and it gets bought. Conusmers dont really demand much these days. The majority just put up with it and buy it anyway. Or at least they are oblivious to it all as they just want a TV then down the track wish they had bought something better or done a little more reasearch or forethought etc. Common story. I should know... i often have to listen tosuch cries and pain. hehe.

Of course Sony do listen in some markets of coures. Dont take things as such a blanket statement. :blink: Its just a completely weird decision to take the DVI off of a display thats already got the thing.

As for how it looks, I really think it depends on the room. Most show rooms make 86cm look small, meanwhile I've got a 2.5 metre wide room and a space of 1005x750mm to fill in... so in this room it will probably look too large but... (since when was there such thing as too large? :blink: )

I think people should remember that DTV is meant to be cheap but HDTV isn't and won't be for a while. Of course most of us in this thread wouldn't see the point in SD DTV.

I think I would have to agree.

It all depends on the environment.

Also, furthermore, I agree that HDTV won't be cheap for a while, SDTV is fulfilling this requirement for the time being.

Well we could go on all day about optical illusions. But at the end of the day 86cm for 6000$ is still very steap. And when it comes to HD you only really start to see the huge advantages it offers from displays that are much larger then a teeny weeny 86cm's.

Thats why SD is so "OK". Becuase 86cm is really SD teritory still. Struth even PAL offers a great picture at 86cm... :blink:

yeah but...

would say that an SD plasma looks better than an HD CRT? In terms of picture quality, and given their different sizes??

I won't be paying anymore than $5k for this tv. I'm quite sure that the Good Guys or Bing Lee or Retravision will go that low. If it comes with the free HD box as well...then you're looking at an effective price of $4200....which certainly makes it more reasonable sounding :blink:

So has anyone tryed to get a price for the TV yet??

I can usually get things fairly close to cost and I have been told the listed cost is going to be about $4600 and I can get it for $4800...but depending on the RRP when it is actally released this may be more or less than what I can get it for...but if it can be bought for ~$4500 with a free set top I think it is fairly good

Well if indeed you could get this display for 4500 thats a lot better for sure. But still... regardless 4500 is a car to a lot of Australians... not a TV.

If i could possibely get it for around that much where i live.. i'll seriusly considering it myself. Not to sure on my luck on this though.

motlking your pricing is about right if you happen to be a reseller, but even the large stores won't be able to get stock and I doubt any store will budge on the RRP until next year if there is that much demand. There is currently a backorder date for this product around 2 months, so once again Sony have shown their style by releasing a product without enough stock available... wonder if they'll hype it up and say how it has all sold out again.

Will be interesting to see if the SonyCentrals will have a showroom model for us to look at (normally they'll sell what's on the floor) and/or if they'll have their own private supply chain.