Sign in to follow this  
klomp

Sony Kvhr36m31

Thought I should start a thread on the new board for the new Sony 86cm.

I have one on order but don't have a delivery date yet.

Does anyone have any info to share about this TV?

I rang Sony and they said shipping sometime in September.

Does any store have a demo TV?

Yes Septemeber seems to be the go from what I read in the Sydney Morning Herald's TV Guide section.

RRP is $5,999. Is that what the people who have ordered are paying?

Based on the experiences with the old Sony HD model, I wonder how long it will take for negotiated prices to drop on this one..... :blink:

I have a Sony "Product Flash" in PDF format that I could share if I could work out how to upload it to the board.

Here is the text that I was able to copy from the PDF;

KVHR36M31 NEW PRODUCT FLASH

Super Fine Pitch 86cm FD Trinitron WEGA TV

New 86cm Widescreen FD Trinitron WEGA with the latest technology of Super Fine Pitch and WEGA Engine.

Available September 2003

FEATURES

86cm Flat Display Trinitron Wega TV.

Super Fine Pitch Tube

WEGA Engine

HD input (1080i/720p/576p)

Multi-system Analogue Tuner

PAL, SECAM, NTSC4.43, NTSC3.58

Two Tuner PAP

3D Digital Comb Filter (PAL/NTSC)

Power VM

Intelligent Picture

Sound

Nicam (B/G, I) A2 (B/G) Stereo System with 3D Woofer

7.5W + 7.5W + 15W Audio Power

Surround Type - TruSurround / Simulated Surround

B.B.E.

Tweeter (Front)

Intelligent Volume II

Advanced

DRC-MF V1 (DRC 1250, DRC 100 & DRC Progressive)

Memory Stick slot (JPEG & MPEG1 Playback)

3D Digital Noise Reduction

Cinema Drive Mode (3-2 Pull Down)

Terminals

AV In (3 Rear, 1 Front)

DVD Component Video Input (2 Rear)

S-Video Input (1 Rear & 1 Front)

Monitor Output (1 Rear)

Centre Audio Speaker in (1 Rear)

Headphone Jack

Additional Features

Fine Tuning

Auto Program

Teletext

Speed Search

Picture Rotation

Eco Mode

Child Lock

Game Mode

Dimensions (W x H x Dmm): 994x650x576

Weight: 90kg

Colour: Silver

Remote Commander: RM1007

Made in Japan

Optional Accessories

Matching cabinet : SUHR36

Details & Price: TBC *SRP $5,999.00 GST Inc

*Pricing, Design and specifications are subject to change without notice

With the new Toshiba's coming out around the same time and perhaps a Pana 200a (if it exists), there will be some nice new products to chose from! :blink: I'm still however looking for a 76cm model...

Regards,

Paul

Paul

What Toshiba's are coming out? What have you heard?

John

At the Sydney CES, Toshiba had some awesome looking HD crt's in 76 and 86cm. Over the phone I was given a slightly delayed release date of approx Sept/Oct or there abouts. I have a graphic in an Excel spreadsheet with a few basic specs if you want it.

I am under the impression from reading the latest sound and image magazine the new Sony HDTV is 76 cm. Just like how they called the old one 91cm which really meant 86 cm viewable.

Hi Guys,

I have read abit about the new US model (apparently they are fairly similar) on the avs forum and the US model displays approxiamtely 1400 of the 1920 lines in a HD (1080i) signal.

I didn't think that the model would even get close to this mark, Looking forward to seeing it in action soon.

Still abit disappointed that the display won't have a DVI connector, suprised more than disappointed actually.

I am under the impression from reading the latest sound and image magazine the new Sony HDTV is 76 cm. Just like how they called the old one 91cm which really meant 86 cm viewable.

I saw that article too - if it is actually 86cm viewable then it's a pretty dumb typo for the editorial section!

On another note, the US model has a RRP of US$2500 and is already selling for a street price down to US$1999!!! Do the math with the current exchange rate and ask yourself where Sony Australia get AU$5999 from ???

:blink:

I've also been waiting on this model for several months now. Personally was a little disappointed with the specs, esp. with the inputs... though I probably expect too much. Sony generally stick to their release dates, unlike Panasonic who we are now to believe will have the 200A's in a few weeks too.

I too was originally wanting a 76cm, for price & size (86cm leaves me with 5mm on each side), but have doubts over the advantages of HD at smaller sizes.

I was told a month or so ago that Sony would be supplying a HD STB for around $500 with the purchase. Anyone have any idea which model box? I'd guess it would be a DGTEC since they wouldn't do deals w/ Pana or Toshiba. I gotta hope it's not the 2000A since I don't really want another one ;-)

BTW w/ prices you'll find Sony AUS have huge upmarks (in case you never noticed), so be sure to beat the price down.

Hey everyone

This is my first post on the forum!!

Long story short - wanted a true HD capable tv, (plasmas too expensive and at entry level are SD anyway). Initially looked at the panny 86, but it looked inferior to the sony 86.

After much shopping around, it came down to either the Philips 86 or Sony 86. Found out after an extensive instore testing session that Philips will only take a max 576p input. Really not good enough in terms of future compatibility, I thought.

So, settled on the Sony, talked the store down to $4600 cash. They checked their stock, then found out that it was going out of stock. The sales rep talked to sony, and found out about this new model, comming out mid-september.

Having been able to find absolutely no info about it anywhere... (where is that link on the sony site???) and even speaking to 2 different people at sony about it, who know nothing about it, its great to finally get some info on it!!

It has pretty much everything I was hoping for, bar the exclusion of a VGA input and DVI...but it wasn't a huge purchase factor for me anyway.

Re:the Digital Box that comes with it. My sales rep told me that the Tv will come with a free HD box, VIA REDEMPTION from SONY. E.g...it won't affect the sales price of the TV at all. Which is great. The guy (this is at Bing Lee) told me they'd be able to give me a well discounted price straight off the bat as well (down from the $5999 RRP).

Anyway, so glad this site exists!! Thanks for all the info guys.

Cool, thanks for that info, if that's true then it suddenly makes the TV much, much more attractive money wise. I was thinking if I get another 2000A I'll sell it to some poor bugger and make a profit on it either way... :blink: I wouldn't get rid of my old one since I believe it's the only reliable unit DGTEC ever manufacturered.

Anyway back to the nice shinny TV a few of us seem to be waiting for. Yes it is strange that there's been little information on it, I would of at least expected to seen it in the most recent Pulse magazine. I was fairly stuck in choosing since I need 720p support and that slims out the competition a lot.

Zinzan I spoke to a few people at Sony all who were willing to give info, even when it was sort of unofficial. Also got onto a reseller support line which proved useful. There are a few people on their support lines who suck, but for the most part they have some of the best phone support from my experiences.

damn thats real disapointing how this thing hasnt got DVI. This is partly the reason why advertises are pulling out of DTV and why things have been so slow. We havent got the damn Digital Gear here so people cant buy them to show their interest in the technology. :blink:

Forums are the best places to get info these days - Went in to Sony style @ Fox Studios (Syd) asking about the new set and they had no idea. I got blank looks as soon as i said 'CRT' - god help them.

ANYWAY...if the Oz model is as good as the US model then i think this TV will cause some waves in the DTV push because the superfine pitch tube is going to display a wonderful pic.

I have the Sony page link at home for the Oz product specs (not yet published but hidden on Sony.com.au) and also the US 2 page promo sheet on pdf - i'll post these when I get home.

Hey again everyone.

I found the link on the sony site - http://www.sony.com.au/product_detail_cont...odCod=KVHR36M31 This was from a post at HtCentral - http://www.htcentral.net/community/viewtopic.php?t=761

The incorporation of the super fine picture tube is great. As i understand it, it's like going from 0.27mm dot pitch on a computer monitor down to whatever the next (much better) level is (0.23mm??)

So...the lack of the DVI input....according to this article here - http://dvi.baumannpaper.com/#_Toc51306019 about why DVI is so amazingly great...it really does seem like we're missing out.

However, as Hoffy said...is there any equipment on the market in Australia that has DVI outputs?? No HD boxes or DVD players that I know of, so I suppose it's understandable that sony wouldn't bother including it in their Australian model (too bad I guess that the models aren't the same in every country, like Philips, who release one model worldwide).

One question though, that hopefully someone can answer. The DRC-MF on the sony, with Prog scan, 1250 lines and 100hz....does it do all these 3 things in conjunction with one anther (effectively bringing 576i sources like DVD and foxtel up to an "hd" standard) or is it that you have the option of the 3?? It seems to me that this tech is doing what HTPC's do (rescaling the image, making it progressive, high refresh etc)....but if it can only do one or the other....like rescale (1250 lines)...whats the point if its still interlaced?? If someone could clarify this stuff for me, would be a big help. Thanks again guys.

Zinzan,

Very valid points in deed. Not much has DVI outputs accept computers at the moment (here in good old "10 years behind everyone" Australia). lol

But my reasonsing is... in about 6months time everything will have DVI inputes (or maybe HDMI inputs). And that'll mean in just 6 months a 6000$ HD TV set will become very painfully out of date simply becuase it has no future proofed input(s)! and thats just insane. Granted we are in the middle of an input change. But DVI is no new interface...!!

Cheers for the links :blink:

Hmm... it's black... sorry 'Silver with black frame'

The fine pitch is why I had waited 4 months for the fine pitch panas, and now 3 months for this Sony. I plan to run a PC on it, so the 720p support is welcomed but you can understand our desire for DVI.

HoffY, I don't think it's such a big thing as technology continues to evolve and old equipment is continually outdated. I'd suggest a bigger problem would be later with a possible introduction of D5/1125p(1080p) - think of it like now if channel 4+3 started selling 576p TV's and you couldn't get 9 or 10HD. As for DVI, yes it looks better but w/ high quality cables and just general viewing the differences become less apparent. I can't imagine any company in Aus. putting DVI for a while unfortunately.

Zinzan the DRC-MF V1 processing that Sony has three different processes available. So you only get to choose from one of them. To quote from Pulse:

"MRC-MF give you 3 different options - DRC1250 reduces visible scan lines, DCR100 uses real-time field doubling, DRC progressive creates a still image with minimal flicker"

Basically different images are more suited to different modes. Of course these are mainly useful for things like Foxtel which looks awful regardless.

I don't think it's such a big thing as technology continues to evolve and old equipment is continually outdated. I'd suggest a bigger problem would be later with a possible introduction of D5/1125p(1080p)

Well my meaning wasnt to say that things are continually outdated. Thats just life and how humans technically evolve. Just like we learn to wash with clean water and brush out teeth. But basically my meaning is... why take a baby side step when you can take a decent step forward? Especially when things are already "out" and in use or "just their".

As for DVI, yes it looks better but w/ high quality cables and just general viewing the differences become less apparent.

Well general viewing evolves to. Once we had 34cm TVs and they were considered big. When HD gets into the masses everyone will be wanting 12foot screens... and you dont start to see the advantages of HD until its seen on large screens. And then... DVI (or pure digital connections) prove their worth very obviously.

Everything is early days of course. But its fun to hope and speculate high up boss types will make "no bull" decisions for once. :blink:

One of the Problems with SONY HDTV's I have found is they are still using OTHER Peoples wide screen tubes..(they dont make any themselves yet but are tooling up to do so as we speak)... All previous WS TV's used spanish made/uk tubes and they werent up to scratch...

Lets hope this NEW one if their OWN tube this time

As to the DVI question I import a DVD Player from China that uses the Sigma 8500 chipset and it supports 1081 and DVI...

It makes a huge difference on DVD's ...

Wayne

Don't get me wrong, I do thing DVI is a big feature we are missing out on but my point was I don't think it's worth waiting for looking at the Aussie market. Probably be at least 18 months before we get some decent DVI equipment. I do think the range we get to choose from is crap but unless you have a cheap way of importing a 90kg item... let me know ;-)

Agreed about the tube, I'm hoping it will be comparible with their PC monitors, which from my experience have been very good. Of course I still gotta see this thing in action since it's price tag is up there.

In regards to the HDSTB offer, contacted Sony but was told there's no word on it yet... I'm thinking it *may* be a post-rugby world cup promotion, if so, guess that means more waiting if I buy it.

Don't get me wrong, I do thing DVI is a big feature we are missing out on but my point was I don't think it's worth waiting for looking at the Aussie market. Probably be at least 18 months before we get some decent DVI equipment. I do think the range we get to choose from is crap but unless you have a cheap way of importing a 90kg item... let me know ;-)

hehe. Yep deadly true. :blink: