Toshiba HDSTB

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So has any one got one yet. I,ve ordered one and should have it in the next 2 weeks.

Gave up on the Rank Arena as their story kept changing .

Heres hoping !!!!

Angelo

Angelo does the Toshi have the RGBHB(XGA) socket ?

No the Toshiba doesn't have a RGBHV output. It only has Component, S-Video & Composite outputs. See:

http://www.toshiba.net.au/cgi-bin/toshiba/000179.html

The only HD STB's with a RGBHV output are:

DGTEC 2000A See:

http://www.dg-tec.com.au/

Panasonic QTR2140 See:

http://www.panasonic.com.au/sitelet/produc...40%7ECTVDIGRECR

Genix HD STB which I think will be an OEM STB for anyone wanting to put their name on it and sell it.

Mark

Tell us more Philip.

How is it for .... Channel changing times, switching outputs (576p to 1080i), enough connections, sound, remote unit, warranty, picture quality etc etc.

What have you got connected to it?

Look forward to hearing from you.

John

Well I am still very new to the S23A however:-

Was most impressed with the quality whilst unpacking.

The operating manual is very good, most impressed.

The S23 has:-

An LED clock (large digits)

RS232 Serial port

Component OPT

Composite OPT

Digital Audio Optical OPT

The R/C is of good quality

The a/c power cord has a feral magnetic core incorporated.

The overall manufacturing quality and finish are excellent

The S23 was connected via:-

(Sadly at this time I do not yet have a PDP which will be the last item to be installed in our octagonal home theatre.)

Composite video input cable (supplied (gold contact)) to a 4:3 TV.

(Also supplied is a gold contact component cable currently not being used)

Audio to a Yamaha amplifier via a Digital Audio Optical OPT cable. (not supplied)

Using the 'Auto' setup procedure only SBS and ABC Channels were located by the digital gold contact Bands 4/5 antenna facing Aurthur's Seat (Vic) repeater stations.

(Who said other stations were live at this site?)

The quality of SBS and ABC Digital video and audio from Authur's Seat was very good.

However to obtain ALL the Melbourne UHF Channels I auto re-tuned the S23 using a VHF antenna pointing to Mount Dandenong (quite a distance from here).

Remarkably all channels worked fine.

Considering that we are using an old Panasonic 4:3 TV the quality of the demo loops is amazing.

In particular Channel 9 HDTV, although all stations were very good.

My wife was in awe at the Dolby quality, in particular from Channel 7.

(..and she who must be obeyed is very hard to please)

It is going to take awhile to appreciate and master the potential of the Toshiba S23.

However it far exceeds anything that I have seen to date.

I was most pleased with the crop size in 4:3 mode.

Channel changing times are fine.

Operationally the unit is very user friendly.

Toshiba...well done.

My Toshiba S23A was purchased from Harvey Norman in Dandenong, Victoria.

The manager of the TV section is Anthony (phone 97069992 )

The staff service was excellent, even fresh cappuccino and freshly baked muffins.

I just can not praise the quality of service highly enough.

Thank you Anthony.

...and i will be buying a PDP in one month (Anthony advised me of a new model that is being released then) from Harvey Norman, Dandenong.

Well being an expert ay judo, karate, kung-fu, hypnosis, mental suggestion and many having many more attributes I did manage a very good deal.

I might add that the RRP is $999.

ENCEL would not budge from the RRP price.

Frankston HIFI best was $995.

Tried lots of other retailers, including other HN oytlets and the best price was $895.

Anthony at Harvey Norman Dandenong offered that price and would have one delivered to the store for me to pick up the next day.

He was tied up so that I was kept waiting, to placate me (I was starting my warm up kung-fu exercises)

Anthony dropped the price (remarkably) as a good will gesture.

Hi,

ENCEL would not budge from the RRP price.

I find it quite funny that Encel even sells a HD-STB after whipping the technology for the last few years!

Philip_P, Can you post some digital camera shots of the menus etc for us to look at? If you don't have anywhere to host them, email them to me, and I can host them for you.

Danny.

Danny will try and take digital pics when I can.

Always so busy here.

I didnt add S23 also has SVHS out.

Caveat: Please note that I have never had any contact with Anthony from HN Dandenong b4 my phone call on Friday.

I have only met him once, on Saturday last, at the time of purchasing the Tosh.

BTW Frankston HiFi tried too get me to buy a Strong STB not the Toshiba

Panasonic HD box has switches on the back to change resolution. Toshiba has button on the remote. It appears you cannot record from composite or svhs outs when set to HD resolutions - these outputs are disabled. So no recording a program while you watch HD unless you remember to drop the resolution down...this from a quick look at both boxes in Harvey Norman and a read of the Toshiba instruction manual...could someone confirm? Looks like I'll be keeping the old STB to timeshift programs...

Christopher

Panasonic HD box has switches on the back to change resolution. Toshiba has button on the remote. It appears you cannot record from composite or svhs outs when set to HD resolutions - these outputs are disabled. So no recording a program while you watch HD unless you remember to drop the resolution down...this from a quick look at both boxes in Harvey Norman and a read of the Toshiba instruction manual...could someone confirm? Looks like I'll be keeping the old STB to timeshift programs...

Christopher

Correct, CVBS & S-Video only work in non-HD mode. I'm keeping the old SD STB to record from so I can watch HD from the Panasonic.

Christopher

Correct, CVBS & S-Video only work in non-HD mode. I'm keeping the old SD STB to record from so I can watch HD from the Panasonic.

With regards to recording a 1080i signal to VCR, what about :

a) trying to record HDSTB---->HDTV----->VCR, where the HDSTB to HDTV signal is 1080i and the HDTV to VCR connection is composite, would this work using the video out (normally composite) on the HDTV?

:blink: I guess if scenario 'a)' worked, it would only do so with the HDTV switched on

and would not work with HDTV switched off (ie when I'l asleep and the Formula 1 is being broadcast 2:00am in morning).

Awesome! Toshiba box allows me to watch HD program (in HD mode) and do recording thru' its composite OUT. It's not explicitly describe in the user manual but then, it works. But then, i need a splitter to connect to both TV and VCR audio.

cheers

Thanks Birdress. I assumed since it wasn't explicitly decribed in the manual then you wouldn't get output from composite or SVHS outs when you toggle to HD output from component. It's enough to remember to leave the box on the right channel when I time shift...looks like I'll be getting the Toshiba box.

Christopher