Thomson Digital TV Set Top Box A$93 incl GST

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again,

The Thomson is not the perfect STB, but now we have guaged it's reliability against both itself & many other brands in terms of signal hold, we will continue to benchmark others against it.

DGTEC would have had terms to recieve accolades for being the first HD manufacturer to market, but their seemingly 'don't care' attitude to customer support requests & their inaction over what appears to be a build quality issue, have really let them down. These reliability issues have shown on their products since the earliest releases & continue with their latest products. At least the 2000B model appears to be a little better in terms of reliability.

Absolutely give DGTEC that credit. If the Thomson had similar problems, the footy would be that and I would've bought the DoggyTec. But obviously things didn't work out that way! Give Thomson full credit for their old box, even though I am still waiting for an online software upgrade -not send it to Melbourne to have them scab tens of dollars from me where other brands have theirs on Inet.

:blink:

"Ghost Recon have nothing when compared to me and their service... bwahahaha"

The problem with the Thomson DTI352TH is you are only able to upgrade the software under Windoz NT. It does not work under any other version........ The latest version of the software is 3.0. As a result can only be done in Melbourne or if you purchased it from Videopro in Brisbane - Contact the service centre and they will do it for you.

An easy way to tell if you have the latest version is unplug the antenna lead if the message about loss of signal comes up with a red background then you have ver 3.0. If it is grey you have the old version.

http://www.videopro.com.au/support/

Not sure if this is going to be the same for the new DTI500AU. One this for sure is that this new unit tunes in the stations a hell of a lot quicker then the DTI352 and the signal strength meter seems to be relatively logical.

Yes I have one of the first lot, paid A$699.00 in June-2001. Had it for 2 years and It's got the old software. So it's a little bit of a pain but works fine. Paid A$299.00 for a second unit early this year. Also looking at the new one with a hard drive. But I would like a HD box also... Looks like I'll wait for a HD-hardrive STB, maybe next year, but who knows.

Having a 16x9 TV for three years the STB has been one of the best things I could have purchased, and the picture quality is fantastic. The TV picture was (pre STB) very bad for us. Now it's 99.9% fine, just a few pixels now and then.

All in all, people that are looking to buy a STB these days are very lucky to have so many good boxes to choose from. And at very good prices, if your comparing to the old days. :blink:

Hi again,

LaPlaya's post just goes to show that things are much improved pricewise - the comment about having an HD STB is something we were discussing the other day - how long are the drive mechanisms going to last in these units, given that a hard drive in a set top box will probably be doing a lot more starting & stopping that a PC drive. Bearing in mind that a PC hard drive generally does somewhere between 3-5 years on average, there's going to be some interesting things happening down the track once bearings start going in the things.

You also need to be thinking carefully about what happens once you fill the drive up with stuff you want to keep.

You also need to be thinking carefully about what happens once you fill the drive up with stuff you want to keep.

I have a cupboard full of VHS tapes which will never be played again (must have a dozen tapes of Star Trek TNG eps, plus a lot more crap from the 90's). There's very little on TV now that is worth keeping. It'd be at least a couple of years since I last taped something and actually kept it. My VCR is only acting as a time-shifter now.

I figure that after I get a PVR, if there is anything I want to keep, I can transfer it to my PC and burn a VCD (or DVD when I eventually get a burner).

I'm looking forward to throwing/giving away all those ancient old tapes, not to mention getting some storage space back! Not only that but the VCR wil be sold and I'll get some shelf space back there as well.

Hi again,

Definitely agree there, but you need to remember that there are a lot of people who want to keep stuff they have taped & after you've filled a drive, there's not a lot you can do if you have no way of transferring it to some other format to save.

The problem with the Thomson DTI352TH is you are only able to upgrade the software under Windoz NT. It does not work under any other version........ The latest version of the software is 3.0. As a result can only be done in Melbourne or if you purchased it from Videopro in Brisbane - Contact the service centre and they will do it for you.

When you say "Windows NT", does that include Windows 2000 (which is NT 5.0) and Windows XP (which is actually NT 5.1)? Because if that's the case - and I can't see why it wouldn't be - then there would be a great many people out there who could do the upgrade themselves...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with that Neon! The Thomson is my second box now and it wasn't under Warranty as I bought it 2nd hand, when Digital boxes were unheard off being in 2nd hand stores!

So I am more than willing to take the risk of stuffing it up when upgrading the firmware. The simple solution is to stop the money being ripped off and make the Web-sites put up an agreement which you have to supply ID and so-forth. Have an agreement that if the user has stuffed it up, then the user agrees to not blame the store and let the download of updated firmware. If uncomfortable with the operation of upgrading etc, then send your box to wherever to get it done.

I noticed DgTec don't give the downloading option anymore - is that now going to be a struggle too, to get updates? :blink:

• 2 months later...

Digicruiser,how did you go with the upgrade for your Thomson DTI 352TH?

I agree that an upgrade should be easily available on-line,CD-ROM or similar.It is ridiculous to expect the consumer to send the STB to Melbourne.

I would be interested in any progress on this matter.

Regards

Tim

I didn't! :P

The Thomson is now just there for recording from as me new Toshie plays the main role now. This does mean it frees up the Thomson to be sent and be upgraded but couldn't be bothered at the moment. Maybe I'm still wishing them to stop ripping off money where other brands and models can get it for free over the Internet. The 352 is "getting a little old" so it shouldn't matter if I choose to take a risk to do it myself. I think they just want to suck money as the excuse would be that they had been doing this all along for this box.

I wonder how many still have ONLY a 352 as their main box? Anybody wanna do a poll to test that out?

Still it has been a very reliable box, just the software sucks a bit.

Cheers... :blink:

I'll place my vote: I have a Thomson and a DTV card.

The Thomson is used for watching and is also hooked up to the VCR. I bought the Thomson as a short term solution last Jan when the price dropped to $300. I will eventually get a better box but I still can't decide what to get. The foreshadowed Topfield HD twin tuner unit sounds promising. If and when I do the Thomson will get moved to the TV in my study. The amp there only supports Prologic anyway.

The DTV card is used mostly for recording. The free WebScheduler utility is a wonderful tool.

• 15 years later...