Sign in to follow this  
wedgetail

Tannoy Monitor Golds with active crossovers?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience running Tannoy Monitor Golds with active cross overs? Specifically Rod Elliott's (ESP) p09 linkwitz-Riley design. 

I think the original cross overs are getting a bit wooly and tired so as an refresh I might upgrade them to an Active set up. I like the idea of ESP as I can buy the PCB of with comprehensive instructions for a good price and have had good luck with a previous project (p05b+p06).

But I can't find mention of this combo son it sure if it really would be an upgrade... cabs are GRF-Rs I built 

Edited by wedgetail

You will need to consider that the Tannoy crossover  has nulling components to reduce the effects of resonances in the HF horn diaphragm and  also has  contour controls to suit different conditions. Perhaps  a  mini  DSP  active crossover unit  would be worth trying.

The problem with basic analogue active crossovers is that they are less sophisticated than the passive crossovers they replace. A capably designed passive will usually shape the response beyond what you get with simple textbook high and low pass filters. As a result, they will typically sound better. In order to realise the benefits that Rod talks about in his articles, you need an active crossover that is a good fit for both the drivers and the enclosure. In other words, a custom design. You can do it more easily with MiniDSP, but keep in mind that the skill required to design active and passive crossovers is the same.

thanks guys, particularly Ian. There's more to it than I initially though of course... I might look at upgrading the exisiting ones then

Absolutely upgrade the old ones.  You will have to delicately drill out the rivets in the covers, that is the hardest part.

Replace all the caps and resistors with new quality units.  The autoformers and coils are just fine, don't touch them.

Most say to bypass the switches and hard wire- I disagree.

Keep the switches, just give them a good drowning in electra clean or the like.

...And you will again be a very happy man!

On 8/22/2017 at 12:33 AM, wedgetail said:

Just wondering if anyone has any experience running Tannoy Monitor Golds with active cross overs?

Yes, I've had all of the Golds and most of the HPDs. In the latter years they were all run actively but with a DSP xover and it was a large improvement.

As others have pointed out you'll need to know how to design and implement it, it won't be plug and play.

Even better is to make them a 3 way with a larger driver taking the midbass down, say <200Hz, as the Tannoy cone is also the waveguide for the CD and you want it to move as little as possible.