100 Greatest Drummers of All Time.

Guest kab

Bernard Purdie

Phil Selway

Ahmir Questlove

Buddy Rich

Jim White

are some of my favourites and in no particular order. It's not about showmanship, but actually doing what's the right feel for the material - check out Steve Reich minimalist piece Drumming from early seventies.

And I'm not a drummer (for the record), but a guitarist.

• Like 1

In terms of Extreme Metal drummers, the below 3 would have to be right up there:

1. Dominator  (Nils Fjellstrom) ex Dark Funeral

2. Hellhammer (Jan Axel Blomberg) current Mayhem and ex Dimmu Borgir and Covenant

3. Nicholas Barker current Brujera and ex Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Eggcup The Daft

No Pierre van der Linden, either.

In fact, the usual lack of Europeans on a best of list.

Many of the jazz drummers are well down the list when they are included, when they are generally the better musicians. Where did they put Jack deJohnette? Forty something?

Phil Seamen is another missing name - understandably, though his name would come up if the drummers themselves were making the list.

No Ed Blackwell, either, that I could see.

Still, such lists are subjective. So it goes.

They have Keith Moon at number 2 

But left out Neil Smith from Alice Cooper 

Neil Smith and Keith Moon I believe were friends, tricksters and rivals

Steve just loved to call Keith and ask how many drums he had then go out to and buy one more than him just to tease him 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

I had to look him up!  ?, but agree

His work with the Golden palomino's and his drumming on Bob Mould's Black Sheets album.is sublime. 

Edited by cafe67

• 2 weeks later...

I skipped to the top ten and some great drummers there, not the order I'd like but rating musicians is so subjective to what music "YOU" like

the way most three piece bands structure their rhythm section normally sees the drummer being able to lay down more flamboyant licks and the bass player keeping the beat, Ginger Baker, Stewart Copeland and especially Mitch Mitchell were masters at it.

Not sure who arranged it but Keith Moons lead drumming on Happy Jack was his best, no disrespect, but if it wasn't for him being such a personality and death I don't think he'd be in the top ten.

my top ten would have included Ansley Dunbar and Sly Dunbar.

Edited by Powerglide

i have too throw this one in..

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
DGM's tribute to the mighty bass guitarist that was John Wetton. Compiled from a Fripp, Wetton and Collins session recorded prior to the making of Exposure, this is quite easily the best jazz-rock power trio that never existed, with the famous Wetton crunching bass well to the fore. Astonishing to think that John made his huge contribution to King Crimson in just three brief years before moving on to UK, Roxy Music and Asia. The comments section below leaves a space where we can collect tributes.
King Crimson
John Wetton

AUDIO SOURCE:Studio Monitor Mixes

DGM AUDIO QUALITY

audio-rating-white.png audio-rating-white.png audio-rating-white.png audio-rating-white.png audio-rating-white.png

AVERAGE CUSTOMER RATING

TRACK
TIME
play-control.png
John Wetton 

04:35

Edited by dirtmudd

• 5 months later...

i always thought Bill Berry was rock solid. I heard he didn’t need a click track to play with.  I like pop drummers anyway, as soon as I hear a drum solo I get bored pretty quick. The list is not serious anyway. Dave Grohl at 27? Pfft. Even Dave Grohl would laugh at that.

Despite my limited knowledge of drumming, I’d put Tony Allen and Jimmy Chamberlain, Chad Smith (I like the way he ends Purple Stain), as well, in my top ten. They sound cool so that does it for me.

Edited by deviltoob

• 2 years later...

A reasonably recent find on amazing drummers 

Enjoy a sample of a truly amazing talent 

Larnell Lewis 

Born in Toronto, Ontario, Lewis started playing drums at age 2 and was first introduced to drums in church. This is where he began to learn to play a variety of styles including gospel music, soca, calypso, reggae, zouk and funk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larnell_Lewis

• Like 1