Most Affordable 11.2CH Immersive Surround Preamp is a Receiver?

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I am a newbie in this home theatre settings and need inputs from you guys.

I wonder if anyone has any review of the Marantz 6012 and perhaps compare it Yamaha 3070 and Anthem 1120. If I am using Yamaha I presumed i need another stereo amp in order to get 7.x.4

My aim is to have dolby atmos at my room 7.1.4, with usage probably 70% movies and 30% music. Any input is welcome or should i buy cheaper amps with lesser channel and run second power amp for the two front speaker?

5 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

You will need an extra power amp to get additional channels to do 11 channels for Atmos on the 6012

Is it the same case with Anthem 1120, probably the safer and most economical way is A3070 with stereo amp?

1 hour ago, Reverbs said:

Is it the same case with Anthem 1120, probably the safer and most economical way is A3070 with stereo amp?

Anthem 1120 has 11 amps, 5 x 140W, 6 x 60W, so no need for additional amps.

14 hours ago, Reverbs said:

personally i think with most avrs external amps are well worth adding. 

the 1120 has a declared consumption of 570w which is not a heck of a lot in power reserve especially where splitting over 11 channels ! and thats not allowing for anything up sleeve but the thing working flat chat. I would use a stereo amp at least to take some load off :)

Reverbs,

I have a Anthem 1120 in Atmos configuration.

I first used it in 7.1 configuration and it superceded an Anthem 710.

Improvements were immediately noticeable.

I now have it in Atmos configuration.

I was able to pickup Anthem's mid range 5 channel Anthem power amp 2nd hand for a good price.

Use that for centre, side and rear channels, 1120 for Atmos effect speakers, and use my normal power amp for main R +L speakers fed via my pre-amp processors bypass option.

Again a lift in performance.

It may not have as much power spec'd as some but it is how that power it is delivered and the room correction software Anthem use is one of the best.

Edited by woogie59

• 4 months later...

Fwiw, remembered posting in this thread about the XMC-1 modular upgrades. Have gone ahead with this and fitted the new HDMI V3 board a couple of days ago, needed to run a few firmware updates, but seems to be working ok on my Bluray 4K and my computer serving as HTPC, it's doing HDR etc. Both working as it should. Shipped cost was about $675, but likely to attract 10% GST now on top of that. No Atmos, but atleast 4k compliant now

Cheers

• Like 1