Most Affordable 11.2CH Immersive Surround Preamp is a Receiver?

9 hours ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Sorry yes, 7.2.4.

The 3083 does the same as the 3070 does it not?

11.2 processing but 'only' 9 amps built in?

Either way you'll need an extra 2 channel amp.

Rookie,  seems you are right.  Also interestingly this model RX-V3083 isnt mentioned on the US site,  so I wonder if it it is a re-badge version. 

Warranty is the main difference here 4 year for AVENTAGE receivers 2 years for the rest.  

I wondering if it has something to do with quality of internal components.  Little evidence of this apart from:

https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Difference-Between-Aventage-RX-V-Series-Yamaha-__I.169081__N.81089

Just as I had thought things were clear ??

Edited by zmacka

Yes 11.2.

I honestly dont think there is any difference other then the extra foot and extra warrenty period (which lets face it, consumer laws would have that covered anyway).

The retal price between the 2 is just $300, i think that covers the extra warrenty period.

That link saying the avartage are built to lower tolerances doesnt say anything, its like they dont no either and just made up some dribble to make you for out for the 3070. The extra foot? Theres your "lower tolerances" lol.

Im still tempted....

On 24/10/2017 at 7:54 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Not enough powered channels. That is the older model? 

Iittle inside info on the non advantage Yamaha models because these are sold in the box mover stores the less warranty is so the box mover stores can charge for the extra warranty. They want Yamaha to only give 1 year.

Edited by powerav

Interesting thread. I run the Emo XMC-1 processor into 5 Emo monoblocks but have fairly recently upgraded to a Oled 65" TV and thus looking at 4K processors/receiver with pre outs.

XMC-1 is upgradable but would be 500 dollars or there abouts for just the HDMI board and I think it only gives 1 HDMI port at 4K, Atmos upgrade converts the zone 2 outs, and more money, plus the unit has to be shipped back to Emotiva for the Atmos upgrade, so there is another $500 just for shipping, and best you get is 2 Atmos speakers from what I understand.And this upgrade is not released yet either. 

Might make more sense to flog off the XMC-1 which is a terrific unit for HT and also great 2 channel sound for possibly the Marantz 6012 at this stage. 

How well does the Marantz do 2 channel? And what are people thoughts on this changing from XMC-1 to just a full blown receiver with all the 4K bells and Atmos bells and whistles? A no brainer? I do love my XMC-1 though ........

Cheers

Am open to other brands as well, as long as not many thousands in dollars

Edited by Itsmoi

1 hour ago, Home theatre rookie said:

If your forking out over 2000 cookies for an avr, you would be reasonable to expect it to last at least 5 years issue free.

Regardless of what warrenty the box mover store (or manufacturer) offers, Australian consumer laws would have you covered. :)

I don't disagree about the ACL/warranty its just the hassle and time of going through the process.  So if you are prepared to be without your AVR for sometime its something good to rely upon.  

Btw I have seen this process in action and it took like 18months (repair not replacement) to resolve.

But I still think there maybe merit and truth in the higher tolerances of the components.  Having some knowledge of supply chain management,  leaving ACL aside  its all about the $ and the OEM hates paying for repairs inside warranty.

13 minutes ago, Itsmoi said:

Interesting thread. I run the Emo XMC-1 processor into 5 Emo monoblocks but have fairly recently upgraded to a Oled 65" TV and thus looking at 4K processors/receiver with pre outs.

XMC-1 is upgradable but would be 500 dollars or there abouts for just the HDMI board and I think it only gives 1 HDMI port at 4K, Atmos upgrade converts the zone 2 outs, and more money, plus the unit has to be shipped back to Emotiva for the Atmos upgrade, so there is another $500 just for shipping, and best you get is 2 Atmos speakers from what I understand.And this upgrade is not released yet either. 

Might make more sense to flog off the XMC-1 which is a terrific unit for HT and also great 2 channel sound for possibly the Marantz 6012 at this stage. 

How well does the Marantz do 2 channel? And what are people thoughts on this changing from XMC-1 to just a full blown receiver with all the 4K bells and Atmos bells and whistles? A no brainer? I do love my XMC-1 though ........

Cheers

Am open to other brands as well, as long as not many thousands in dollars

Xmc will do 7.2.4

39 minutes ago, brabs said:

Xmc will do 7.2.4

Ok, thanks, my error, misunderstood what I was reading

Looked up some old posts on Emo forums, Atmos upgrade about $500, the latest HDMI board around the same, so a $1000 US, plus shipping to and fro for the upgrades when they get released $400 to $500, and with Emo, well, you never know.

Looks like the cost to get XMC-1 upgraded to 7.2.4 would set me back around about $1700 to  $2000 depending on what the exact prices are going to be. More than the unit cost me initially.

The cost of an Marantz-SR 6012 roughly

Edited by Itsmoi

2 hours ago, Itsmoi said:

Ok, thanks, my error, misunderstood what I was reading

Looked up some old posts on Emo forums, Atmos upgrade about $500, the latest HDMI board around the same, so a $1000 US, plus shipping to and fro for the upgrades when they get released $400 to $500, and with Emo, well, you never know.

Looks like the cost to get XMC-1 upgraded to 7.2.4 would set me back around about $1700 to  $2000 depending on what the exact prices are going to be. More than the unit cost me initially.

The cost of an Marantz-SR 6012 roughly

Wow, expensive upgrade hey!

would it be worthwhile you think?

i was going to get an xmc when the  Atmos is finally on board with a 40% Off  voucher . But found an Atmos pre locally. Is it possible to have the upgrade done locally. Did you get it from the USA or local distributor?

Mine was imported by myself, before the distributor came here.

It seems the HDMI board has become self install, but it needs to be returned for the Atmos upgrade.

Not sure what the distributors here are capable of doing when it comes to warranty repairs etc.

And yes, with the great cost of this I have doubts. The RMC-1 is going to be big bucks to when it comes out , retail price 5K US i believe, so likely 8 grand locally :( so not really an option for me.

The XMC-1 retails for about 4500 locally, is gen 2, but I think the main difference is a newer HDMI board, but there is an another one in the making currently. And who knows when it actually gets released too. 

Starting to lean towards selling the XMC-1 and just get a AV receiver with all the bells and whistles  required and be done with it.

7 minutes ago, powerav said:

I'm sure I just read on the emotiva facebook page that you can upgrade the processor yourself.

That is only the HDMI board that has become a self install option, I am on the reserved list for when they get released. Was just saying so in my post while you posted yours :)

Atmos upgrade requires a return

3 minutes ago, Itsmoi said:

Atmos upgrade requires a return

Arghhh, I hate that, turns me right off, the same reason I sold my Elektra 3 channel, need to return to manufacturer for as something as simple as slotting a few cards in and a bit of soldering maybe.

5 minutes ago, joz said:

As simple as slotting in a few cards!

no it's not 

I've taken one apart, it's all there ready to go. Looks very easy.

They should advertise these so called upgradable products as "fully upgradable by sending product back to manufacture at your own cost and be prepared to wait for how ever long it takes".

changing the XMC out for a receiver with all the bells and whistles is going to be a backward step in sound quality. One thing the XMC is perfect for is the sound it sends to our external amps. Personally I dont give a toss about atmos. After installing many systems and hearing them in show rooms i still dont get what the big deal is about it. A good 5.2 system sounds damn fine to me!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itsmoi said:

Mine was imported by myself, before the distributor came here.

It seems the HDMI board has become self install, but it needs to be returned for the Atmos upgrade.

Not sure what the distributors here are capable of doing when it comes to warranty repairs etc.

And yes, with the great cost of this I have doubts. The RMC-1 is going to be big bucks to when it comes out , retail price 5K US i believe, so likely 8 grand locally :( so not really an option for me.   

I guess you have at the least upgrade for life Itsmoi ? If you want the atmos dtsx upgrade as well as the hdmi 2.0b board Ide sell the XMC1 and get your 25% off the RMC1from the US  and wait till  next year, makes it much more reasonable :winky:

When the atmos and hdmi 2.0b boards turn up the RMC1 will be getting those boards as well.. As digitalhome said a receiver is a backwards step. Some boards are easy to replace like hdmi ; others like atmos decoders etc are on the main pcb which is a separate issue as its something where warranty issues and returns can arise ; its not easy to get too for a start.. They like to check the diagnostics to be sure ..

10 hours ago, digitalhome said:

changing the XMC out for a receiver with all the bells and whistles is going to be a backward step in sound quality.

8 hours ago, cwt said:

I guess you have at the least upgrade for life Itsmoi ?

Yep, the sound quality is great, and why I have not done the receiver bit. I am fully aware of the good sound quality.

And yeah, I run 5.2 as well, except the subs are the master/slave combo from Seaton Sounds Submersives.

I am curious about Atmos and the Dts X too though as I would like to take full advantage of the latest sound tech that come with UHD's.

I guess I could break it down and just get the HDMI board upgrade first since that being a self install to get atleast the 4k pass through happening, and look at the other stuff later.

And yes CWT, I am in the lifetime program, but I am not sure how that works, if it works with our own distributors, unless they do not import the RMC-1 and Emo sells direct to me. Still going to be an expensive unit, must hope for a rise in our dollar vs the US dollar ehe.

7 hours ago, Itsmoi said:

I am curious about Atmos and the Dts X too though as I would like to take full advantage of the latest sound tech that come with UHD's.

I guess I could break it down and just get the HDMI board upgrade first since that being a self install to get atleast the 4k pass through happening, and look at the other stuff later.

And yes CWT, I am in the lifetime program, but I am not sure how that works, if it works with our own distributors, unless they do not import the RMC-1 and Emo sells direct to me. Still going to be an expensive unit, must hope for a rise in our dollar vs the US dollar ehe.

That's another good option Itsmoi ; upgrade just the hdmi card itself and sell the XMC1 ; very few 7.2 pre pros with the latest hdmi2.0b ports out there .

Last mention was pre pro's were still on the buy from the US is fine list due to the UGFL and people with 40% off cards on file with them I imagine ; this was confirmed by brabs at the time  . This was recently added to in april by Cathy :) 

Just in!
Exciting new addition this afternoon. For our customers in Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, and Singapore, you are now able to checkout through our shopping cart directly. This is a super convenient way to purchase your gear directly without having to request a quote.

Yes ; timing is everything with the exchange rate . 

1 hour ago, cwt said:

That's another good option Itsmoi ; upgrade just the hdmi card itself and sell the XMC1 ; very few 7.2 pre pros with the latest hdmi2.0b ports out there

Wasn't thinking so much as off selling, just do the HDMI upgrade first and when the finances look ok, do the Atmos upgrade.

To actually get on topic about the Marantz , been doing in depth review reading and do not think that model is for me. Not good enough I think

Could look at the RMC-1 too, because I suspect when the Emo boards come out for the XMC upgrade, the RMC-1 would get a release too, but wait and see. Hopefully that might negate upgrading the XMC altogether, just sell as is, then buy the RMC with the money I get back for the XMC and the 25% discount. Could be doable. All up in the air, but i think the best option is to stick with the XMC for the time being.  Can't be far off,.....famous last words...  But good to know I can buy pre pro direct from Emo and not get gouged here.

XMC-1 retails for like 4500 ish here, meh

And now I know where I seen your name before, on the Emo boards :)

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 9:58 PM, zmacka said:

On the 6012 watch for a HDMI issue.  Two Australian supplies I contacted (when I was looking at it) have had returned stock for that issue.

Hope its all ok for you.

So far so good. No issue what so ever.

1 hour ago, Home theatre rookie said:

How does this compare to the yamaha 3070?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LPP7YMU?psc=1&smid=A2763VQ7SN6URD

It's a processor with no internal amps, so you would need a power amp e.g. a used Elektra Theatron. Note, most US AVRs and processors will be 110V and will have no local warranty or parts support.