Most Affordable 11.2CH Immersive Surround Preamp is a Receiver?

I'm really tempted by this,  Denon 6300 for $2615 AUD landed.  Yes you need a step down transfer ~$250  (I already have a 2000W version).

In terms of warranty I could ship it back twice and still be $1K ahead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZRPPFW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XGE4CX5AV74X&psc=1

Btw I would luv to get the Anthem 1120 but hard to justify the extra expenditure.

33 minutes ago, zmacka said:

I'm really tempted by this,  Denon 6300 for $2615 AUD landed.  Yes you need a step down transfer ~$250  (I already have a 2000W version).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZRPPFW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XGE4CX5AV74X&psc=1

Btw I would luv to get the Anthem 1120 but hard to justify the extra expenditure.

dont do it. grey importing this kind of thing is really not worth it. actually explore the cost of shipping back and you might be a little shocked. while shipping in on a volume is one thing shipping back to US is quite a costly affair and while you think shipping back and forth is great think of the implications of DOA and complete loss, damage in transit, get a quote for insurance to cover and see how costly that is  and then there is the large amounts of time not only in transit but trying to get things resolved and then there is also subsequent enabling of features, options etc which denon and marantz regularly do. we all who bought 2015 machines are due an update in next 6 months :)

we can have massive discounts locally. its matter of just twisting arms and being opportunistic. we are a different market here vs overseas. overseas they have greatly lost all their bricks and mortar stores and have to hit buy and pay what ever price the web says. here we have the great opportunity to talk to a human and there is no need to just hit buy on a web price locally as you will always pay less in person ! you wont even get the best price on the phone ! thats how different these markets are :) 

then there is also statutory and consumer rights which you do not get from grey importing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Step down transformers are not desirable honestly. 

This is something I've often wondered about. 

Surely step down transformers would,at least in some small way, negatively affect sound quality? 

I mean if upgrading speaker wire, interconnects, power cables, usb cables can (possibly) improve SQ in some way, wouldn't it work the other way too? Genuinely curious. 

7 hours ago, zmacka said:

You could fly to Singapore and buy it, the total cost plus the air ticket will be less than that. There was a sale on the 7200 for 2k or so recently for example..

9 minutes ago, petetherock said:

You could fly to Singapore and buy it, the total cost plus the air ticket will be less than that. There was a sale on the 7200 for 2k or so recently for example..

And then have zero and I mean zero after sales. Following purchase I can tell you local retailers in Singapore don’t want to have to do with anything with Aussie buyers after the sale. Will get zero communication with any issue.

Singapore buying isn’t what used to be many years ago. Something changed

4 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

This is something I've often wondered about. 

Surely step down transformers would,at least in some small way, negatively affect sound quality? 

I mean if upgrading speaker wire, interconnects, power cables, usb cables can (possibly) improve SQ in some way, wouldn't it work the other way too? Genuinely curious. 

If they are pure induction coil based transformers they shouldn't. Just lossy. But if they are the electronic amplifier type, then probably they could result in induced noise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petetherock said:

For delicate gear, and those that required a lot of power, I rue to use a step down. I did it before for a Velodyne sub that I bought on the cheap from USA, but for most stuff, I rather not get US / 110V kit.

Most if not all equipment should be 110/240v anyway.

On 04/11/2017 at 9:27 AM, zmacka said:

dont forget import duties & gst if you get nabbed

2 hours ago, powerav said:

Low power electronic stuff, yes. As they can use switch mode power supplies. But high power stuff like amps generally use induction transformers internally which convert specifically from a source voltage to a target.

Edited by Mobe1969

2 hours ago, powerav said:

On the contrary, many of the items you see online are not dual voltage, so do check.

FYI, the Marantz SR 8012 is out this month in USA, and should be out in Singapore soon. No known pricing, but Marantz is cheap in Singapore and Hong Kong. 230V.

• Like 1

I've decided to go with the Yamaha RX-A3070 local with 4 year warranty for $2399.  This review persuaded me.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/yamaha-aventage-rx-a3070-av-receiver-review.1652/

I probably will only mate it with a Emotiva A-500 to power my Ceiling ATMOS speakers.  That should be heaps of grunt for that purpose.

Edited by zmacka

1 hour ago, zmacka said:

I've decided to go with the Yamaha RX-A3070 local with 4 year warranty for $2399.  This review persuaded me.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/yamaha-aventage-rx-a3070-av-receiver-review.1652/

I probably will only mate it with a Emotiva A-500 to power my Ceiling ATMOS speakers.  That should be heaps of grunt for that purpose.

Being a Yammy fan from way back I've been eyeing this for a little while now. Btw how long have they been on the market now?

Interested in getting a bit of user feedback,

1 hour ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Why not get a refurbished yamaha 3085 for $1699.

Its basicly the same as the 3070 only half the price (refurbished).

Maybe wants the 4 years of peace of mind. Hard to put price on that :)

You mean 11.2?  (7.2.4).

I think the 3083 is a 9.2 receiver,  the RX-A3070 is a different series and supports 11.2 processing.  You need an external 2 channel amp to get the 11.2; the 3083 cant do that.

I think 12 months warranty from excel

Just purpchased a Marantz 6012 and Oppo 203. First impressions are, that I'm very happy with the unit. Need to do a lot of fiddling to get it correct and sound good. It didn't come with a proper instruction manual which I find very odd and annoying.

1 hour ago, zmacka said:

You mean 11.2?  (7.2.4).

I think the 3083 is a 9.2 receiver,  the RX-A3070 is a different series and supports 11.2 processing.  You need an external 2 channel amp to get the 11.2; the 3083 cant do that.

I think 12 months warranty from excel

Sorry yes, 7.2.4.

The 3083 does the same as the 3070 does it not?

11.2 processing but 'only' 9 amps built in?

Either way you'll need an extra 2 channel amp.