Most Affordable 11.2CH Immersive Surround Preamp is a Receiver?

4 hours ago, digitalhome said:

Hey rookie, what about the best value option right now. Grab the Integra 80.6 Pre/Pro in the classifieds for around $1800 and add a 7 channel Emotiva power amp ( BasX A700) for about $1000 brand new. You can always add more amplification later when budget permits.

Yep that's the winner.

I like how most like to talk down the Integra but then they state how total power is important, well the Integra 60.6 has 955W and the marantz 7 range and the Denon 6400 ha around 750 Watts, big difference.

If you just want affordable multichannel 11.2 with atmos, you can get the Onkyo or Pioneer locally for just over $3k, and they are powered on all channels. About the same cost as the above solution.

If you are ready to jump right now, you might be able to grab an Anthem 1120 for about 4K from Ebay at the Watmaugh Audio/The Audio Experts store (they are a long time Victorian speaker manufacturer / hifi store) using that Ebay 10% off coupon that showed today. And Cashrewards for the 1% cashback also.

29 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Yes but id need another amp to power the atmos channels would i not?

The idea is that you would have an excellent 7 channel system right away and the add some more channels down the track but yes I agree that with atmos it can get pretty crazy as you would need a 4 channel power amp to make 11 which are pretty rare or the more common 5 channel, which means a lot of boxes and cables everywhere. A simpler solution is a 9 channel AVR and then get the emotiva basix amp to power the surrounds.

17 minutes ago, brabs said:

Yes, that's correct, how many ceiling speakers are you wanting to do?

Good point brabs ; everyone wants the 4 ceilings and not 2 but for a smaller room 9.1.2 can be very good :thumb:Anthony Grimani an acoustician and CEO  talks about wide fronts from around 25m in.. Makes sense when we perceive sounds from the front better than the rear :)  

Just found out about this baby

http://www.nadelectronics.com.au/nad_au/home-theatre/t-758-v3-av-surround-sound-receiver/c-37/c-1102/p-1600

Not bad pricing

7 channels of real power NAD style 80W

DIRAC Live room correction

Preamp outputs for 11 channels. 

Modular HDMI input board

BluSound multiroom streaming built in

NADT758V3_2.jpg&width=1024&height=1024

Got the NAD today. Have to say it sounds better than the Marantz SR6011 that we had in the same room prior to this. 

Really really better. Better enough that it sounds as good as some of the 2-channel amps up to 1.8k in the same room. So no compromise on 2 channel.

DIRAC Live LE is a pain in the ass to use but when done right, it is phenomenal in the way the whole soundstage works. You can pinpoint sound cues so easily with DIRAC enabled. But the UI isn't very intuitive and we encountered a zillion errors before it finally decided to work. 

Part of it, I suspect could be due to the way DIRAC/BluOS is cobbled together on the v3. 

The MDC slot is used by the HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 board along with digital coax/optical inputs (2 each) and also pre outs for the Atmos .4 channels. 

So BluOS and DIRAC requires the use of this tiny USB dongle the size of a 4 port USB hub - into which the WiFi USB, Bluetooth USB dongles connect into. A spare USB port allows you to plug in the USB microphone jack into which the DIRAC microphone is connected. 

The drawbacks are - only 3 HDMI inputs and only WiFi streaming for BluOS. The upside is the WiFi works really well with the BluOS app, even with MQA which is often a challenge on some WiFi interfaces. 

So far worked fine with an Oppo 105 and Samsung FullHD LCD TV. Will be interesting when we get our 4K projector and hook it up to the Oppo 203. 

Sync times were pretty quick. Even switching from OSD to the regular display. 

1 hour ago, DoggieHowser said:

Yeah had a friend with an older NAD processor which had an HDMI board that was buggy beyond belief. 

Been told this is a Panasonic HDMI design so maybe there is some benefit to outsourcing. 

These hdmi cards seem to be the very latest hdmi cards that emo is about to use [I remember Panasonic being mentioned ? ] being hdmi 2.0b rather than just 2.0a so if HLG HDR ever comes with FTA tv they;re compatible ;):)

http://www.avsforum.com/nad-hdmi-2-0b-mdc-modules-and-ci-580-bluos-streamer-at-ise-amsterdam/

Nice to see dirac live turn up at a reasonable price point and hopefully our versions are like the US with full capability and frequency response trimming for $99 ;)

The T758 V3 and T777 V3 both come with Dirac Live Lite built-in and it can be upgraded to the full version for $99

Edited by cwt

8 minutes ago, J5000 said:

Looks like Audiotrends have the new Marantz 6012 on Special for $1870. Not badly prcied for a 11.2 processing channel Receiver. Will buy my thinks  

wow thats a great price. right off the bat. good on them to make more affordable. thats buying a lot of AVR for the money :)

On 30/10/2017 at 6:55 PM, J5000 said:

Looks like Audiotrends have the new Marantz 6012 on Special for $1870. Not badly prcied for a 11.2 processing channel Receiver. Will buy my thinks  

Great pricing. Tempted 

3 hours ago, jutta said:

Great pricing. Tempted 

They got back to me. They said it'll be at the price in the near future. But they don't have one out for viewing/demo otherwise I'd be driving there tomorrow. I know Carlton Audio Visual have one out so I'll have to go there to check it out. I don't know if these guys price match or not. My onkyo has done the old hdmi card and place no audio trick as of last night. So looks like I'm going to have to pull the trigger.