Lenehan Audio

Lenehan LK1 Kit speakers Reviews

So - if I wanted to have a wood veneer finish, does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this?  the tricky part would be the front piece.

The angles on the front baffle would make it difficult.  The top half triangle would probably be OK, but the thin strip next to the main driver would be tricky.  Alternatively you could try some wood grain printed vinyl, but the directionality would make it awkward to wrap around the angles of the baffle & have it joined nicely.  I would think the ultimate solution would be to the make the entire enclosure out of hard wood or maybe just have a hardwood front baffle with the rest veneered?  Or you just paint or wrap the front baffle and have the rest veneered (not sure how the edge of the veneer would transition nicely to the baffle though)?

Posted (edited)

So I've been making some slow progress. I've finished the grills and moved the speakers to the main living area now they are more child resistant. Gave them a listen and discovered that the tweeter I thought I'd saved, was actually not. Fortunately I'm heading to the gtg on the weekend 😁 so should be able to grab a new one.IMG_20180802_181929054.jpg

Edited by BRM
Deleted quoted post

Sponsor

So I've been making some slow progress. I've finished the grills and moved the speakers to the main living area now they are more child resistant. Gave them a listen and discovered that the tweeter I thought I'd saved, was actually not. Fortunately I'm heading to the gtg on the weekend so should be able to grab a new one.IMG_20180802_181929054.jpg.af97afee6975bef96be7f78aeb90fb95.jpg

Hi Dane. Bring the speaker down and we will fit and test. . Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike.  Shall I bring both speakers or just the one in question?  Cheers.

Interesting....  Just did some more testing on the tweeter.  I tried with & without grills, swapped cables & speaker positions.  It seems as though the tweeter still works, but is a bit muffled and not as clear as the other one. A bit flat sounding with reduced reverb.

My speakers have been burning in nicely, and I'm really enjoying their sound.  I sorted out the issue above by cutting back the memory foam that was touching the back of the tweeter.  I wouldn't have thought the foam would audibly affect the tweeter.  However, after cutting the foam back, the treble seems much clearer, so I guess it must do.

I have the LK1's hooked up to a Cambridge Azur 751R home cinema receiver (configured as 5.0 or stereo, source dependant) which is fed via HDMI or optical from my Panasonic Blu-ray PVR.  The system mainly gets used for daily TV duties, the occasional Blu-ray or DVD movie and weekend CD listening.  My musical preference is guitar driven rock music and I've found that the LK1's are a great match.

They have a nice, natural punch and attack.  Electric guitars sound great and the bass is solid and present without being overbearing.  My 8yo daughter even noted new sounds in her music, asking me where a certain sound was coming from.  Cymbals and high frequency sound effects are nice as well.  Overall they're a nicely balanced speaker.

I am very satisfied and would highly recommend the LK1's.