Lenehan LK1 Kit speakers Reviews

Lenehan Audio

The angles on the front baffle would make it difficult.  The top half triangle would probably be OK, but the thin strip next to the main driver would be tricky.  Alternatively you could try some wood grain printed vinyl, but the directionality would make it awkward to wrap around the angles of the baffle & have it joined nicely.  I would think the ultimate solution would be to the make the entire enclosure out of hard wood or maybe just have a hardwood front baffle with the rest veneered?  Or you just paint or wrap the front baffle and have the rest veneered (not sure how the edge of the veneer would transition nicely to the baffle though)?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've been making some slow progress. I've finished the grills and moved the speakers to the main living area now they are more child resistant. Gave them a listen and discovered that the tweeter I thought I'd saved, was actually not. Fortunately I'm heading to the gtg on the weekend ? so should be able to grab a new one.IMG_20180802_181929054.jpg

Edited by BRM
Deleted quoted post
  • Like 2

So I've been making some slow progress. I've finished the grills and moved the speakers to the main living area now they are more child resistant. Gave them a listen and discovered that the tweeter I thought I'd saved, was actually not. Fortunately I'm heading to the gtg on the weekend [emoji16] so should be able to grab a new one.IMG_20180802_181929054.jpg.af97afee6975bef96be7f78aeb90fb95.jpg

Hi Dane. Bring the speaker down and we will fit and test. [emoji41]. Cheers Mike

Interesting....  Just did some more testing on the tweeter.  I tried with & without grills, swapped cables & speaker positions.  It seems as though the tweeter still works, but is a bit muffled and not as clear as the other one. A bit flat sounding with reduced reverb.

• 1 month later...

My speakers have been burning in nicely, and I'm really enjoying their sound.  I sorted out the issue above by cutting back the memory foam that was touching the back of the tweeter.  I wouldn't have thought the foam would audibly affect the tweeter.  However, after cutting the foam back, the treble seems much clearer, so I guess it must do.

I have the LK1's hooked up to a Cambridge Azur 751R home cinema receiver (configured as 5.0 or stereo, source dependant) which is fed via HDMI or optical from my Panasonic Blu-ray PVR.  The system mainly gets used for daily TV duties, the occasional Blu-ray or DVD movie and weekend CD listening.  My musical preference is guitar driven rock music and I've found that the LK1's are a great match.

They have a nice, natural punch and attack.  Electric guitars sound great and the bass is solid and present without being overbearing.  My 8yo daughter even noted new sounds in her music, asking me where a certain sound was coming from.  Cymbals and high frequency sound effects are nice as well.  Overall they're a nicely balanced speaker.

I am very satisfied and would highly recommend the LK1's.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got a chance to listen to them - ('tonight' didn't happen!)

I think it is fair to say that I didn't stuff it up :)  Very impressed overall, and this is with a modest 50W class D amp, streamed with Blutooth audio.  Levels of bass really shocked me, and the midrange was forward, but not overly fatiguing.    

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest, here is a waterfall plot of the LK1's in my open plan living room driven by a Cambridge 751R.  The speaker grills were removed.

Disclaimer: I'm new to taking room measurements, but I'm fairly confident I've setup & calibrated the mic & interface correctly (Dayton EMM-6 & Focusrite 2i2).

LK1 Waterfall.jpg

• 1 month later...

Upgraded my speaker cables to Canare Star Quad 4S8 (up from Jaycar Extra Heavy Duty). The bass seems more in control and the treble is clearer and more chimey. Interesting that my left and right channels are slightly different.

565796641_Dec28Left.png.3a2ba7e2b2380a6650078f31a00e5ce0.png

1711311432_Dec28Right.png.4a28ec344d8f9acaf0fa8c947e78684a.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Loving the sound from my LK1's.  Thought I better get around to finally covering them.  I've partially tolexed one of them, but still need to do the front and rear.  I'm not sure if I like the colour or not (I've gotten used to the pale mdf look).  Also it looks a bit darker in person, compared to the photo.  Guess I'll let it sit for a while to see if it grows on me.

IMG_20190128_191419071.jpg.099aab2578f162011547390340f3eef6.jpg

Edited by BRM
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Decided I wanted a more vibrant colour.  A bright blue seemed to be the best match.

IMG_20190217_151126764.jpg.33d7c30334c8f1ea1c381fb5795f18be.jpg

IMG_20190217_151415862.jpg.b900b10e394953f6ed789705f9046b85.jpg

IMG_20190217_151429329.jpg.82f11e49ea5e3d5bea1959f987b18553.jpg

Note for others:  If you want a perfect finish, Tolex isn't the answer.  The joins are quite difficult to do without having gaps or bulges.  Temperature seems to make quite an impact on the accuracy of joins as well.

Something about that texture makes them more interesting to look at.  I don't know if that colour would work as well without the whole "crocodile skin" effect of Tolex.  

They certainly stand out from your TV and cabinet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lenehan Audio said:

Hi Dane. That’s an awesome looking finish !! How are they sounding ?
Cheers Mike

Hey Mike.  They're sounding fantastic.  Exactly what I was after.  My change in cables made quite a difference & has made the LK1's more addictive to listen to.  Lately I've been loving the sound of electronic drum hi-hats on certain TV shows & adverts.  Brass & stringed instruments have also become more life like.  Bass is controlled & natural.  They're excellent all round.

• 1 month later...

Over the last couple of days I've managed some extended listening sessions.  I've been tweaking the settings in my AV receiver and came across a noteworthy improvement.  Previously I had the crossover set as low as my receiver would allow (40Hz).  However I've found that by raising it to 70Hz, the bass clarity of the LK1's goes through the roof.  Bass guitars and drums are more intelligible, punchy and clear.  In fact I think the whole audio spectrum has cleared up.  It's stepped the LK1's up to the next level.  They are an absolute joy!  I just want to keep listening to them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing a bit more listening, flipping between a 70Hz and 80Hz receiver crossover.  I like the fullness with 70Hz, but the bass sounds slightly wobbly.  Changing to 80Hz, the bass sounds just right and more controlled, however the fullness decreases.  I think I'm coming to the conclusion that to get the best of both worlds I'd need larger speakers or maybe add a subwoofer.  I think I've settled on a crossover of 80Hz.

Note: My open plan living room/dinging room/kitchen has a volume of around 129m^3 (4,500ft^3).