Budget Power Set Up Please

Hello,

I am quite newbie in stereo set up and started setting up stereo set up recently. I now got a (1) TT, (2) DAC & Preamp, (3) CDP, (4) Streamer, (5) Inte Amp and (6) 2 x Powered Monitors which means that I have 7 plugs are needed.

I also have a computer, a printer, a laptop and a phone charger. 

My room has 2 wall sockets so I used 1 wall socket is plugged 1 x power board to accomodate all of non-audio gears.   The other wall socket is plugged with another 1 x power board to accomodate all of audio gears.

Power boards are quite cheapie ($30 each) and was told that it will protect electrical surge. 

I read several threads in this forum and direct to wall socket is the best if house has clean power. However, I only have 2 wall sockets so cannot accomodate all of those direct to wall.

I was also noted that DC blocker was recommended but not sure how it works and which one to get.

Q1) I was thinking to get Furman AC 210 power conditioner and plug each end with each power board. Will this make any positive difference or just keep the current setup illustrated above?

Q2) This may be out of topic and what do I do with audio gears when I do not use?

Can I just switch off from power board to turn all of audio gears at once or do I switch each individual component off with power switch at the back of each component?  Else, should I just let them set idle by pushing power off with remote (power LED turn dim but not completely turned off)?  Not sure what the best way to turn off without damaging gears.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :) 

Guest Eggcup The Daft

If you listed the actual components (not just the type) this question might make more sense.

The thing that leaps out at me is that you appear to have a lot of duplication. If you are starting out, three distinct sources makes little sense. Similarly, do you need a preamp, integrated amp AND powered speakers? Fewer, higher quality components will work better for you.

In what format do you have most of your music? That is the place to start. Lose the source or sources you use least for now, plenty of time to add them back later.

Do you really like the active speakers? If not, get some boring passive ones and save some power points. If you do, ditch the integrated and use the DAC pre. Even if you end up replacing with a phono pre and still need the same number of sockets, you lose a power amp section and save on power.

As far as the second question goes, it depends on the equipment. I don't have anything that draws a lot of power so my equipment stays on in standby mode. If your amp is Class A and drawing a lot of power, to give one alternative, then it should be off when not in use.

You only need a DC blocker if you have a DC problem. You only need a power conditioner if you have a power problem. Do you have reason to believe that you have either of these? Is the system noisy, or does it sound a lot better when the non-audio equipment is turned off, or the fridge motor isn't running?

If this is a room in your house, get in an electrician to add more power points for the audio equipment and check that the power is clean.

@Eggcup The Daft Thank you very much for feedback. 

I have an Inte amp (Yamaha AS701) because I used to have passive speaker to pair with but just move to active monitor (JBL LSR305).

I now currently use the Inte amp as turntable phono amp and headphone amp to power HD600. I can get separate units for each later down the track and at present, just have one Inte amp to serve both roles.

I do not think that any of my gears draw much power so I think that I am okay with standby mode as you mentioned. :) 

I cannot notice any noise from my system other than turntable (I think that it is surface noise from vinyl) and I could not tell much difference when other non-audio equipments turned off.

I could get an electrician to add more power points in my room but what happens if there is power cut? Isn't it better to have power board with surge protection to protect gears in case?

Edited by Spider27

Great. Thank you :) I read it fully and below was very  helpful.

On 06/06/2017 at 3:29 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Retailers suggest such things, because:

1) They make money on 'surge limiters'.

2) They sell rubbish equipment and try to deflect the problem away from reality.

Quality equipment doesn't need surge limit protection. The only exception being nearby lightning strikes. The solution is to ensure the TV antenna is disconnected. Problem solved. If you REALLY want surge protection, then have one fitted by a qualified electrician, at your fuse box. It's the only solution that will do something (though I remain unconvinced of it's usefulness anyway). 

None of which should be necessary when using quality equipment. 

Have a surge limiter fitted at your fuse box, if you really want to spend money on something that MIGHT be helpful. 

A good idea. Separate power circuits are a good idea.

But really, it is all so unnecessary. 

Since my house does not have TV Antenna (all of wires goes under via Fibre Optic and I do not watch any cable TV), I guess that Ido not have to worry about power surge but focus on quality equipment that usually have good power protection.

And, not sure any more if powerboard is good idea after reading below;

Safety tip: When you use a power board or double adaptor, each device plugged in creates a new parallel circuit, but the total current for all of the devices must flow in the one house circuit. The current drawn by multiple devices in the circuit means that it is possible to exceed the maximum current draw allowed by the circuit fuse or circuit breaker. If the fuse or circuit breaker fails to operate then this can cause wires to overheat because even good conductors do provide some resistance to electric currents. This is why it can be very dangerous to piggyback double adaptors or to plug too many devices into a single power point. Usually, but not always, power boards have their own built in circuit breaker.

The diagram below shows the way most circuit breakers work.  

circuitbreaker_02.gif?w=480&h=207&as=1&l

Not quite sure what separate power circuits that @Zaphod Beeblebrox suggested. Does this mean create separate line goes through inside house solely for audio gear connection in the room?  :wacko:

8 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

breakers work.  

Not quite sure what separate power circuits that @Zaphod Beeblebrox suggested. Does this mean create separate line goes through inside house solely for audio gear connection in the room?  :wacko:

Correct, though the line comes from the breaker box, under the house, or through the walls. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Correct, though the line comes from the breaker box, under the house, or through the walls. 

Thank you very much.   Shall I get 1 x dedicated line from breaker box and put multiple sockets on the wall like this?

I would need at least 6 sockets (1x TT, 1x CDP, 1x Dac, 1x Amp, 2x powered monitor). 

power sockets wall.png

Guest Eggcup The Daft

I'm feeling a bit hypocritical now... I do have a dedicated line (by accident, due to the way our unit was wired) but it only goes to one pair of sockets and I use a Thor powerboard, which is old and probably due for replacement, for most of my components. The board improved sound when I got it, but there was a longstanding mains issue in the street that I didn't know about, which became obvious when the power started going off every few months. That was fixed last year and this thread's reminded me I must revisit this...