aaron tweeters that have a rust like scale?

Hi all, could anyone let me know if these Aaron Ats4 tweeters should have a "scale like" look to them. Picked the speakers up recently and since testing them at home can confirm that they are actually working but look very strange. Like a rust coloured scale on both domes. Im abit lost with these speakers as they dont sound bad but im used to my vintage yamaha ns-200m that i love in a small drum room and unfortunately (or fortunately ) for me everything i listen to in comparison is lacking and these aarons sound abit muddy compared. If someone has owned the ats4's opinion would be appreciated. Cheers

ps. im not sure how to attach photos to show.  doesn't seem to want to give me the option

I owned ATS4s for quite a few years from the late 90s. They were the first pair of what i would class as decent speakers I owned. I gave them to my boss for mate's rates and he still enjoys them now. I can't ever recall anything untoward on the tweeter. I had one fail though and they were cheap as chips and easy to source online, we're not talking bespoke high end here fortunately so if you're concerned you shouldn't have any problems finding a new pair.

If you want to add photos, then the box you type your reply in has a paperclip to the bottom left that says 'Drag files here to attach, or choose files(which is a hyperlink)" you can then upload from your computer.

It looks like the original doping/treatment in the dome has deteriorated over time. Do you have any way of measuring the speakers? This would be the best way of objectively determining if the tweeters are seriously compromised.

SS

thanks for the replies guys. I dont have a multimeter but will get one i think. If I was measuring them, how and what do i look out for?.

I dont know the history of the speakers just picked them up fairly recently. cheers

I should have been more specific with regard to the "measuring". A measurement microphone and matching software would be needed to measure the speaker's audible response, this is outside of a multimeter's area.

Regards,

SS

I have two pairs of ATS2's - the ones with the gunge the same as you have pictured work perfectly, the ones that look as new are stuffed.

I am sure the tweeters did have some form of coating from the factory, I recall it was mentioned in one of the Hifi mag reviews but these don't seem to be on what's left of the website anymore. http://www.aaronhifi.com.au/resources/index.php