Sign in to follow this  
darth vader

Projector advice for a newb...

Hey guys, I'm thinking of stepping into the world of projectors and screens.

I've noticed a few cheapie ones that pop up in the ad's here. My gut feeling is to stay away from them. As with anything audio/hifi/HT, better is better, but I dont know where to start.

I've got my TV based HT set up working ok. LG oled does a good job, the old Pioneer LX-71 could be updated, but it sounds great even if its a bit old.

But for movie nights it would be great to roll down a screen and have a "small big screen experience"

So, I'm after a bit of advice on what to look for in a projector and what to stay away from. I imagine resolution and lamp life are up there in the list. Do projectors have a "refresh rate" as such? (like htz on a screen?)

What to look out for in screens? powered/non powered? 

Budget wise, I'd be talking low 4 figures...I'm after something that works well and gives a good picture when its being used, but I dont see it being an every week kinda thing. Hard to justify big $$ for the anticipated use

Hey Vader,

There are positive and negatives to any Hi-Fi system. Personally I love my current setup.  Not the cheapest but I enjoy every second I get to spend in the room. There are good projectors and bad ones. Are you going to use it for gaming or movies or a bit of both. 

I have a JVC x7000 and compared to other units like Sony or BENQ or Epson, this is by far the best picture wise with its awesome deep blacks and 4k eshift Upscaling technology. You could look at a JVC x5500 for around the 5k mark. Some places are doing great deals with the whole setup. Look around and do your research.

If in doubt.. use the force. 

Ps... don't get an electronic screen. I'm a massive fan of fixed screens =) once it's in place you never have any ongoing costs. 

=)

20170615_234221.jpg

Hi Steven

Thats a nice set up you have there. Unfortunately my kids would lay waste to that mini bar set up, lol.

I'd be looking at it for movies more than gaming. The JVC projectors do seem to have a good name. I would be thinking $5k might be a bit of a stretch though. Whats your thoughts on second hand projectors?

If there is just one thing I would change - it is the recliner :) I must have the centre sweet spot and it is wasted on the cupholders

AWESOME design btw. 

Love how it all ties together in a smaller room. Always struggled to see how I could get a proper theatre if the missus ever downsizes to a smaller townhouse. This is great inspiration.

13 hours ago, darth vader said:

Hey guys, I'm thinking of stepping into the world of projectors and screens.

I've noticed a few cheapie ones that pop up in the ad's here. My gut feeling is to stay away from them. As with anything audio/hifi/HT, better is better, but I dont know where to start.

hi darth its a step if can pull off will never look back. it took me some while to get my head around and a lot of help from friends already travelled the path. even changes to my room ! but pulled off in the end. and i reckon if I can in my homely settings anyone can.

i would stay away from the cheapie ones..... with your LG oled after that you will be disappointed i feel in those vs say  contrast and pure picture quality of JVC. if not jvc the epson are a bit cheaper and something i lived with for many years and can also achieve great results

I've got my TV based HT set up working ok. LG oled does a good job, the old Pioneer LX-71 could be updated, but it sounds great even if its a bit old.

But for movie nights it would be great to roll down a screen and have a "small big screen experience"

it what we do. we tend to use the TV for everyday no critical stuff, watch the news some random tv etc. and the screen comes down for movies, other big scree events such as sport, concerts etc.

So, I'm after a bit of advice on what to look for in a projector and what to stay away from. I imagine resolution and lamp life are up there in the list. Do projectors have a "refresh rate" as such? (like htz on a screen?)

What to look out for in screens? powered/non powered? 

unlike steven i would have no qualms suggesting drop down screen. they have their place and work perfect in dual screen non dedicated room setups (can see the lounge room link of mine in my signature to see how works in mine).  The mistake people make here is they buy cheap motorised screens which are just a bother in years to come. my screen techniques electricinema has been fault free and no cost in ownership for many years now its seen 4 projectors over that time and yet the one constant and cant see that changing any time soon. I know quite a few others with screen technics and very happy too. great local made product. if not going for that there are some good quality chinese ones e.g. red leaf and grand view and like that are about half the price.

what to look for in a projector ? whether it will achieve the output required for throw distance and screen size want to run. screen size is a factor of resolving detail and immersion. there are good rules of thumb for this and coincidentally seem to work well audio wise for this to. so if you know your viewing distance can work back to kind of screen size be looking at. so importantly have to pick a screen/projector combination that will fit in to do what after.

Budget wise, I'd be talking low 4 figures...I'm after something that works well and gives a good picture when its being used, but I dont see it being an every week kinda thing. Hard to justify big $$ for the anticipated use

you are probably like the telly looking at $5-6k minimum realistically. otherwise looking 2nd hand. something like an older jvc x35 saw one go the other week for $1800 grab a screen for $1-2k and good for low 4 figures. :) just wont get things like 4k uhd and all that but the picture from the jvc will still be jaw dropping ! 

Things needed to know before [GOOD] advice offered by anybody.

Size of room?

Where you intend to place PJ in said room?

Proposed seating positions?

Is fixed screen or drop down type envisioned?

Are you wanting to playback 3D movies?

Is room going to be able have some measure of light control ? [as Dark as possible]

Is room duel purpose ?

@Tweaky, I'd imagine I'll try to have good ambient light control on the room. I'm imagining a drop down screen with flat screen TV behind, no 3D, got sucked into that a few years back.

I'm not sure of projector position, seating etc. I'm moving house soon and trying to get my head around whats going to work best. I have the choice of a small room in the house or a part of a shed/garage. The house will have sound level restraints, the garage will be a bit more flexible in that respect and I have a the provision in the garage to line it out and customise more so than the house (hence the low-ish budget for PJ/screen)

I'm imagining the room will be dual use, 2 ch and HT.

I really dont know the limitations. I'm guessing the bigger the screen and further away the PJ, the less resolution there will be for any given PJ?

@:) al Had a look at the JVC x35 and it seems like it would fit the bill if I could find one around that price range S/H.

Bit worried about bulb life and cost though, anything to look out for there?

darth best know until exactly what the new place is like or be counting chickens. what can fit in as a projector and screen will likely by the sounds be very much determened by the surrounds and whats possible.

light control is essential. if can't black out a room forget about a projector or consider it just for night after dark duties. 

rooms dual use can work very well. again can check link to my setup

x35 isn't just to be just there for the taking, as with any 2nd hand thing will have to look out. as mentioned one just sold last week. also i think have to be realistic on price. consider what the oled cost you. and you are looking to create a bigger screen experience with some complexity. 

re screen size and resolution. there are rules of thumb e.g. viewing distance can be 2.5-3x screen height. as mentioned this works i have found really consistently well with the rule of 3rds i.e. sit at 2/3 room length. if go too big a screen size possibly the projector wont have enough output to light up. go too small a screen size and will have heaps of output but at other end many projectors without output control or maxing out their control will be too bright. watch a screen from too close e.g. under 2.2x screen heights and likely most day to day material and anything bar most pristine will start to look average. watch from too far e.g. 3.5-4+ x screen heights and loose any resolution advantages i.e. dvd will look like high definition struggle to pick difference.

my suggestion wait till know more of your setting. look at the rooms, find one suitable e.g. light control and something akin to sensible arrangement. see what can setup for viewing distances... then can work from there to give screen size and kind of projectors will fit to do the job. 

Thanks al, you've given me some handy ratios to work with. I can take a good look at the spaces I have available and work backwards to a degree.

Once I have a better idea on what the plan is with the room/s, I'll bump this thread again.

In the meantime I'll keep my eyes out for a projector.

:thumb:

definately keep an eye out for a pj and continue your research ( screen size limits, gaming lag rates, expectations vs use hours vs $$ outlay)... once you have an exact budget and know what low 4 figures actually is.

i only have entry level stuff but i feel you should buy absolutely nothing until you know what room you will have, the seating setup, the room sizing, light situation and the budget.

as for screens probably the last thing to buy (2nd hand is fine as screens hold their value worse than new cars) once everything is set up.. you can project onto a wall and actually "see" the screen size that fits your eyes.

just my 1 cents worth :-)

Our lounge is smallish and the wall in front of the sofa is a window wall. So we bought a screen on a tripod. About 100" I think. 16:9. 

A bit of pain when you have to move it around but that way it takes up little real estate & no eyesore in the lounge.

Fixing one on the ceiling was not practical with my unit.

thats ok.. we all start somewhere.

sounds like it is not a dedicated ht room so i would suggest researching some entry level pjs.

the new epson tweh5600 will be released soon or the existing ehtw5300 (but the newer model sounds very nice. also as a benq user i would suggest the w1090 or w1110. they both give a 100" image at 2.5meters.. lens to screen. something to research anyway.

Guest EZYHD

DV you might glean some ideas on my last HT with PJ, drop down motorised screen hidden in ceiling void.

Fininsed copy.JPG

PJ copy.JPG

Edited by EZYHD

On 8/14/2017 at 11:40 PM, darth vader said:

I'm after something that works well and gives a good picture when its being used, but I dont see it being an every week kinda thing. Hard to justify big $$ for the anticipated use

I added a Screen Technics drop down screen and JVC Projector to my living room about a year and a half ago and it that time I've clocked up over 1000 hours use of it.

They are used not just for movies but for TV series too which most are beautifully produced these days and hi-definition sport out of a Foxtel IQ3 box.

I bought a new spare globe the other day ready for when the current one is no good.

So you never know, you might end up using it a whole lot more than you think you will now.

2 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I added a Screen Technics drop down screen and JVC Projector to my living room about a year and a half ago and it that time I've clocked up over 1000 hours use of it.

They are used not just for movies but for TV series too which most are beautifully produced these days and hi-definition sport out of a Foxtel IQ3 box.

I bought a new spare globe the other day ready for when the current one is no good.

So you never know, you might end up using it a whole lot more than you think you will now.

PJ does all in our abode too. There is no ugly TV in the room. 

41 minutes ago, Happy said:

PJ does all in our abode too. There is no ugly TV in the room. 

Are you worried about the hrs on the lamp / cost of lamp at all?

1 minute ago, darth vader said:

Not too much. It does cost me about 2 centuries for each lamp but we no longer go to any cinema. We don't watch TV stuff every night either. 

Oh I also play retro games with the PJ too.

31 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Darth if using as second screen then am not sure be such a bother. I know people who use as only display and replace bulbs every other year been doing 10+ years