Can TT even digitally out to external DAC?

Hello,

This might be non-sense but very curious to find out if it is even possible.

Some of DJ style turntables (AT LP120, Sony PS-HX500) have USB output so it can be recorded into digital file.

What happens if it is connected to DAC via USB connection? Can it be digital out?

Keen to try active studio monitor but it usually has XLR connection and try to avoid using Mixer or Audio interface just to connect turntable since the rest of source will be hooked into DAC and DAC to Studio monitor.

My suspicion is that it may be possible but not ideal since main purpose of Vinyl is trying to avoid digital and pursue analogue sound and this defeat the purpose. :) 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

main purpose of Vinyl is trying to avoid digital and pursue analogue sound and this defeat the purpose. [emoji4] 

That's old school. Now it's about what sounds good. Love digitally recorded vinyl. Also love the vinyl sound throughly ADA converted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I don't think that's going to work.

USB is not a symmetrical interface: one device is a master and another slave. That's why the plugs are different.

Your problem is that both TT and DAC expect to be connected to a master.  Looks like you still need a computer to link them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Hello,

This might be nonsense but very curious to find out if it is even possible.

Some of DJ style turntables (AT LP120, Sony PS-HX500) have USB output so it can be recorded into digital file.

What happens if it is connected to DAC via USB connection? Can it be digital out?

Sorry, I know nothing about USB connection

However, it is certainly possible to feed the output of your phono stage into an A2D converter ... and then feed this into something 'digital'.  In my case, this will be a 4-way digital selector ... so I can select one of:

• digitised vinyl
  • CDP
  • DAB+ tuner, or
  • Foxtel box

... to feed into my miniDSP active XO.

2 hours ago, Spider27 said:

My suspicion is that it may be possible but not ideal since main purpose of Vinyl is trying to avoid digital and pursue analogue sound and this defeats the purpose. :)

Sometimes, the digital environment delivers advantages that you cannot get in the analogue domain! :D

Andy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

Sorry, I know nothing about USB connection

However, it is certainly possible to feed the output of your phono stage into an A2D converter ... and then feed this into something 'digital'.  In my case, this will be a 4-way digital selector ... so I can select one of:

• digitised vinyl
  • CDP
  • DAB+ tuner, or
  • Foxtel box

... to feed into my miniDSP active XO.

Sometimes, the digital environment delivers advantages that you cannot get in the analogue domain! :D

Andy

Great to know. Thank you. 

I only can find A2D converter which has digital input (optical/coaxial) to analogue RCA output. What I might need the opposite. RCA input to digital output to connect to DAC/Preamp. :(  May I know where we can get analogue to digital converter?

And did you notice any sound degradation by converting analogue to digital then back to analogue?

Thank you.... :) 

10 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Great to know. Thank you. 

I only can find A2D converter which has digital input (optical/coaxial) to analogue RCA output. What I might need the opposite. RCA input to digital output to connect to DAC/Preamp. :( 

Hi Jim,

By definition an "A2D" converter - aka "ADC" - has analogue in ... so it has RCA inputs.  Output is either a digital coax (RCA) cable or an optical cable.

So I don't think you have found an ADC ... what you have found must be a DAC!  :(

May I know where we can get analogue to digital converter?

I bought a kit - which you have to be a pretty good solderer to make.  (Very fine solder-points.)

But I have seen ready-made-up ADCs (but, sorry, don't have any names for you - Google 'ADC').

And did you notice any sound degradation by converting analogue to digital then back to analogue?

Thank you.... :)

Well, I am currently converting vinyl to digital back to analogue again because I have a miniDSP unit taking the output of my (analogue) preamp ... doing the (digital) active XOing ... and then converting back to analogue, to feed into my power amps.

And, no - I don't notice any sonic degradation.  :thumb:

What the new arrangement - with the ADC - will do for me, though, is:

• my vinyl will be converted into digital with a much higher quality A2D converter than what the miniDSP contains.
  • my digital sources (CDP, DAB+ tuner and Foxtel box) will avoid the current D2A conversion to feed into my preamp - with a digital conversion inside the miniDSP ... they will just feed (digital) straight into the miniDSP!  :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, andyr said:

Hi Jim,

By definition an "A2D" converter - aka "ADC" - has analogue in ... so it has RCA inputs.  Output is either a digital coax (RCA) cable or an optical cable.

So I don't think you have found an ADC ... what you have found must be a DAC!  :(

I bought a kit - which you have to be a pretty good solderer to make.  (Very fine solder-points.)

But I have seen ready-made-up ADCs (but, sorry, don't have any names for you - Google 'ADC').

Well, I am currently converting vinyl to digital back to analogue again because I have a miniDSP unit taking the output of my (analogue) preamp ... doing the (digital) active XOing ... and then converting back to analogue, to feed into my power amps.

And, no - I don't notice any sonic degradation.  :thumb:

What the new arrangement - with the ADC - will do for me, though, is:

• my vinyl will be converted into digital with a much higher quality A2D converter than what the miniDSP contains.
  • my digital sources (CDP, DAB+ tuner and Foxtel box) will avoid the current D2A conversion to feed into my preamp - with a digital conversion inside the miniDSP ... they will just feed (digital) straight into the miniDSP!  :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

Found the ADC. :)  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Way-Digital-Optical-Coaxial-to-Analog-Analogue-Audio-Converter-both-ways-/120883051703?epid=1689847728&hash=item1c2530fcb7:g:zyAAAOSwfjhZdyhd

If you want to throw a PC into the mix, it's easy

TT into pre  amp for line level (rather than using the USB) or TT line out for  an internally pre amplified type 

Line level into the PC sound card say ASUS Xonar STX , Analogue to digital conversion and recording interface

Out of the Sound Card in SPDIF or Optical to the DSP or DAC

Rarely run the TT these days without, making a digital version at the same time. :)

Enjoy

1 minute ago, 125dBmonster said:

If you want to throw a PC into the mix, it's easy

TT into pre  amp for line level (rather than using the USB) or TT line out for  an internally pre amplified type 

Line level into the PC sound card say ASUS Xonar STX , Analogue to digital conversion and recording interface

Out of the Sound Card in SPDIF or Optical to the DSP or DAC

Rarely run the TT these days without, making a digital version at the same time. :)

Enjoy

I am using Mac.. :) Can I still do it?

I don't think so with the ASUS Xonar STX, but if you boot from disk a Windows operating system it might. :P

Hardware is fairly well the same

Just now, 125dBmonster said:

I don't think so with the ASUS Xonar STX, but if you boot from disk a Windows operating system it might. :P

Hardware is fairly well the same

Not a good option for Mac user. :) Might stick to the other option  @andyr suggested.

Stick to the Mac I hear good things about them, It may have a line in on it, so would check that out

personally run an I Phone but that is where my love of apple ends, mainly because hardware is plentiful, you can scab it from the tip if necessary

Example of scabbed stuff, plug in the TT Pre amp to the line in and voila :D 

IMG_1836.JPG

That front end is ridiculously well sounding 

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Hello,

This might be non-sense but very curious to find out if it is even possible.

Keen to try active studio monitor but it usually has XLR connection and try to avoid using Mixer or Audio interface just to connect turntable since the rest of source will be hooked into DAC and DAC to Studio monitor.

My suspicion is that it may be possible but not ideal since main purpose of Vinyl is trying to avoid digital and pursue analogue sound and this defeat the purpose. :) 

Spider while at the DJ shop might want to explore these tascams and what need to hook up, under $100 will likely have you set :)

analog into it from phono stage, digital out to whatever have in mind.... these are quite innexpensive yet extremely high quality units i have found,

14092282392_34e82c46bd_b.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, :) al said:

Spider while at the DJ shop might want to explore these tascams and what need to hook up, under $100 will likely have you set :)

analog into it from phono stage, digital out to whatever have in mind.... these are quite innexpensive yet extremely high quality units i have found,

Thank you. I just checked the Tascam DR40 and not sure how it can be digital out. If I understood correctly, it is a audio recorder that has XLR input but cannot see any other output other than SD card for storage and mini USB for power.

Guest Eggcup The Daft

If you have a DAC that you can directly attach USB storage (such as a flash drive or USB HD) you should be able to attach the turntable to that input.

I know this can be done with the front input of my Oppo 105 (I know, that's a bit more than just a DAC, but it shows the principle). If your DAC has the flat USB-A input, or a digital input for attaching a phone, you might stand a chance. I don't know how common such things are.

Edited by Eggcup The Daft

5 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

If you have a DAC that you can directly attach USB storage (such as a flash drive or USB HD) you should be able to attach the turntable to that input.

I know this can be done with the front input of my Oppo 105, for example.

Unfortunately, my one has it but it is for upgrade (not sure what to be upgraded though). :) 

nad_m51_3.jpg

25 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Thank you. I just checked the Tascam DR40 and not sure how it can be digital out. If I understood correctly, it is a audio recorder that has XLR input but cannot see any other output other than SD card for storage and mini USB for power.

hey spider, as it says,

refer below on the Tascam DR40

http://tascam.com/product/dr-40/

" Transfer recordings to computer using the USB 2.0 jack."

and I ws happily using for making recordings making some precious vinyl stuff to digital so can enjoy in the car, on the go :)

alternatively if like it as is did can upgrade to below,

as I did with he Tascm UH-7000 that lets you do on the fly  if thats what you are chasing,

14188366853_c5450b024e_b.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveC said:

Not sure if you already have a TT but this one has analog and optical out:

https://www.projectaudio.com.au/products/essential-digital

My gosh... I did not even know there is digital version of turntable. :) 

Very curious how it sounds if it is optical (digital) out against RCA (analog) out.....

3 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

My gosh... I did not even know there is digital version of turntable. :) 

Very curious how it sounds if it is optical (digital) out against RCA (analog) out.....

its not, it just incorporate a A-D stage. all makers e.g. project, nad etc sell and with built in :)

• Like 1

Just now, Spider27 said:

I see. So it eliminate the need of external AD converter. Great to know. :thumb: 

heres some, if just looking for a simple box rega phono stage with usb out for $169 this stuff dont have to break the bank D: 

rega fono

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/rega-fono-mini-a2d?variant=16064091715&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8b_MBRDcARIsAKJE7ll9dhS0XBbIk8Hp7GEN9eDyofTYt2v36x4HEFAM-BvDs5n5PdYMMH0aAkF7EALw_wcB

from nad,

https://klappav.com.au/collections/nad/products/pp-4

from project,

https://www.aussiehifi.com.au/pro-ject-phono-box-usb-phono-preamplifier

• Like 1