Richter Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi everyone,

Although I started Richter Acoustics in 1985, I still get people asking about my speakers, so I thought that I would join up and respond to any queries in that regard.

I am well out of the industry now with my ow food manufacturing company and also involved with industrial design.

I have attached a photo of my daughter Alexia delivering  a knockout blow to Brad Serhan of Orpheus loudspeakers...

lex n Brad_0002.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

First speakers I ever bought and still going. I had to save a long time from my part time job to get the $2500. Friends thought I was nuts.  But couldn't find anything better at the price at the time.   Have had a few repairs but doing duty now as rear surrounds.  Yes I need to vac the cat fur and give em a wipe down.

IMG_5272.JPG

Edited by Steam
  • Like 3

Hi Ralph, welcome.

I am infamous for chopping and changing my audio gear but the one thing that has remain constant is my Richter Wizard Mk4's and Unicorn centre.

Would love to see Richter go back to that Mk4 styling.

Welcome Ralph !

we still have our original richter set. Harlequins, unicorn, hydra abd mk1 thor

all still going strong and like new when I got for my first 5.1 av setup about 20+ ? Years ago

i don't think richter today is a patch on the old stuff which is sad

ps I still have your original flyers on each one of our Richter's explaining their designs

intersting to hear in food industry ! And in industrial design to things I've been involved with all my working life

• Like 1

Welcome Ralph.

You shouldn't be surprised that people remember you. It goes without saying that you are an Australian legend and icon in audio.

I have owned several of your original designs over the years and I have also sold your speakers at some retail stores when I was in the audio trade for many years. The customer reaction to your speaker was outstanding and I have sold many pairs to people who I still know and they are mostly still in daily use.

Regrettably the new Richter speakers are a poor imitation of your designs and would sell mainly due to the Richter label. Yourself and Brad are indeed icons in the industry and if you ever decide to make more speakers I would love to hear them.

I am sure your expertise and reputation will serve you very well here.:thumb:

Cheers

• Like 2

Dear Rantan,

I am very touched by your kind remarks. I am very aware that there are were some tremendous designers in my era. Brad Serhan and Scott Krix are two that come to mind immediately, but there were many more. It was an era of great fun. And most are still around today making first class speakers.

I think the sheer excitement of the industry at that time was adrenaline for me. I always looked forward to each day as a fresh 'play in  the sandpit'.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ralph waters said:

Dear Rantan,

I am very touched by your kind remarks. I am very aware that there are were some tremendous designers in my era. Brad Serhan and Scott Krix are two that come to mind immediately, but there were many more. It was an era of great fun. And most are still around today making first class speakers.

I think the sheer excitement of the industry at that time was adrenaline for me. I always looked forward to each day as a fresh 'play in  the sandpit'.

Hi Ralph. It was indeed an era of great fun. Everything was new and there was a wealth of new products emerging.

I vividly remember buying some of Brad's Orpheus speakers when he was building them in his bedroom at his parents house at Lillyfield. I should have kept them and your Wizards. I'm not so sure that the industry is fun anymore, maybe its just me getting old, but I doubt it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, powerav said:

Hi Ralph, welcome.

I am infamous for chopping and changing my audio gear but the one thing that has remain constant is my Richter Wizard Mk4's and Unicorn centre.

Would love to see Richter go back to that Mk4 styling.

The Mk4's had the curved cabinets yes?  

I have no idea if they sounded better than the Mk3s or Mk5s but they certainly looked the goods IMO.  Loved those curves!

3 minutes ago, powerav said:

Why are people saying the newer models are poor, I just need to understand.

Mate, with respect, this is a welcome thread for Ralph. If you have opinions maybe it is better in another thread yeah?:)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, powerav said:

Why are people saying the newer models are poor, I just need to understand.

I will take a stab at an answer 

Let me say upfront that I haven't owned any old or present product 

But this can be an answer to sum up any product that has changed over time 

Build quality - Against build at a price point 

Made for Stereo - Against made for surround sound 

Target market - has changed so what is produced may be perfect for that - but not suitable for HiFi stereo ? 

45 minutes ago, ralph waters said:

Well I am really surprised that anyone would actually remember me. It is just so good that there are many people enjoying their original investment.

Ahh, I remember sitting in front of the Paladins with you, thinking crossovers etc. Damn, I've done that with Brad too. Good times. New Aussie HiFi back then.:)

Guest Muon N'

Welcome, Ralph :thumb:

My first speakers were Richter Harlequin Mkll's, a mate still has a pair of the same and loves them.

Good to have you here.

Guest Muon N'

@ralph waters

I have a question that has bugged me for years, the tweeter in the Mk11 Harlequin's I never worked out what it was...make ect'. Do you recall that tweeter, Ralph?

Loved the Audax mid-woofers in them.

@ralph waters

I thought I'd dig out some of the material you included with our Richter Harlequinn which we still have, its an amazing amount of material and extremely informative. and what a speaker the harlequin is, as one of the reviews reading back said its amazing that a speaker like this sold for $799 ! when would expect to pay some $1400 to $1700  a pair. I dont know how you did it ! such and ingenious speaker and certainly they were the pick for me back then and looking back wow it was 25 ! years ago I got them. You mention in one of the flyers that these speakers should be just fine 20 years from now given the high quality components used, well your reputation is testament to that in 25+ years later they still are like new :) ps while they were handed up to my parents eventually when I upgraded to some missions, I needed to spend some 2.5-3x what the richters cost which is really saying something,

36515653626_43362b87fe_b.jpg

36562151475_9dd4ee5c74_b.jpg

36393733542_206393435b_b.jpg

36515657846_6f2ea47576_b.jpg

36562156545_cf92eeaa0e_b.jpg

35727061404_5a82db1943_b.jpg

36515655206_c8c4b1c76f_b.jpg

36165191130_02ee2ecf54_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hi fellers, I tis great that the old speakers are still going strong...each speaker model had a number of iterations, but I am pretty sure that the MkII Harlequin had a Audax silk domed tweeter. I could be certain if you took a photo close up and posted it. 

I spent a lot of time listening to components 'in the raw' before deciding which devices would go on to be tested. It was a pretty easy test as most tweeters sounded pretty ordinary. After sifting through maybe a dozen or so devices you usually come across one which is a stand out winner.

I recently conducted a series of listening tests on a number of Vifa tweeters. Each tweeter had very similar response curves. For some reason, one of them sounded vastly better than the others. Now I find that remarkable.. The other tweeters were very competent, but for one reason one model just stood out.

I think the essence in good speaker design is to start with the most sensitive and discerning test instruments available. They are located each side of your head and I found they came in very handy!!

Oh thanks for posting the Richter literature. I have almost nothing from that era, but it is a pleasure to revisit this material.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ralph waters said:

Oh thanks for posting the Richter literature. I have almost nothing from that era, but it is a pleasure to revisit this material.

i'll post some more of it that i have lying around from other model richters we have :)