Jakey’s House of Horrors

Guest jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77

So I opened the new ME850 today. Thought I’d see how it’s faired over the years. Foam everywhere. It’s all perished and the fan is free floating. I wanted to get it serviced anyway so off we go.
IMG_0718.jpgIMG_0719.jpgIMG_0720.jpg

i feel your pain jake,had my 750 done 6 months ago by ron over at winovate ,done a great job,that is the only drawback with later model ME amps the bloody foam rot a bit like JBLs with foam surrounds you know at somtime you will have to replace them.

Guest jakeyb77
 i feel your pain jake,had my 750 done 6 months ago by ron over at winovate ,done a great job,that is the only drawback with later model ME amps the bloody foam rot a bit like JBLs with foam surrounds you know at somtime you will have to replace them.

Yeah not too fussed as I thought it may be the case. As you said gotta be done sometime.
At least gives me a chance to get it back to spec as well.

don't run it too long without the foam in place jake as you are probably aware that the fan is focused  on the heatsinks to keep the trannies at a constant temperature,without the foam the air is all over the place.

Guest jakeyb77
 don't run it too long without the foam in place jake as you are probably aware that the fan is focused  on the heatsinks to keep the trannies at a constant temperature,without the foam the air is all over the place.

Cheers Ray. Not running it at all. I’ve left it off the rack. Messaged Ron to see what his schedule looks like.

all good jake,ron is the man, as i said he done a beautiful job with the interior foam as well as the front filters and a new fuse holder,checked and adjusted bias om mine,very happy.

Guest jakeyb77
11 hours ago, lusk said:

Awesome amp the 850, wish l never sold mine.

Is that free floating fan legit? l'm sure l've seen that brand before from china.

Same fan that’s in my SE300 monoblocks. So yep, all original. 

BEDDEADE-E31E-478E-91C9-C37BDB338CFC.jpeg

BEBA736A-1536-4823-84D6-A72D9EC3A324.jpeg

Edited by jakeyb77

38 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

@Zaphod Beeblebrox kindly lent me a ME pre some years back and have always remembered its gorgeous sound.

If I were to build a killer ME system for my crap rock recordings, what would it be?

@Jakeyb77 love your mono's & JBL set up mate, would love to hear that one day.

The problem when using ME amps with poor quality recordings is well known. The computer adage: GIGO (Garbage In - Garbage Out) applies. ME amps (and preamps) are designed to be ruthlessly accurate. I would advise you to think carefully. You may be better to look for an amplifier that can disguise the faults in such recordings. ME amps, generally, will not fit that purpose. However, the best ME power amp was the ME1400 mono. Sadly, they are almost impossible to find. I doubt there are more than one or two pairs on the planet. Maybe none, as several were re-manufactured into stereo amps. Fortunately, a standard ME1400/1500 amp is very close in sound quality and both amps are relatively plentiful. Be advised that the ME1400/1500 requires the very best loudspeakers to be used. Paired, obviously, with an ME preamp, you will have a system of serious capability. What speakers would you be using?

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
31 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

@Zaphod Beeblebrox kindly lent me a ME pre some years back and have always remembered its gorgeous sound.

If I were to build a killer ME system for my crap rock recordings, what would it be?

@Jakeyb77 love your mono's & JBL set up mate, would love to hear that one day.

Always welcome if you’re in town. As with others if you ever want to pop over.

going to run the monos with the 4435 when I get them. Slowly gathering all the parts. They are 96db sensitivity so wont be an issue I expect. Haha. 

49 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

The problem when using ME amps with poor quality recordings is well known. The computer adage: GIGO (Garbage In - Garbage Out) applies. ME amps (and preamps) are designed to be ruthlessly accurate. I would advise you to think carefully. You may be better to look for an amplifier that can disguise the faults in such recordings. ME amps, generally, will not fit that purpose. However, the best ME power amp was the ME1400 mono. Sadly, they are almost impossible to find. I doubt there are more than one or two pairs on the planet. Maybe none, as several were re-manufactured into stereo amps. Fortunately, a standard ME1400/1500 amp is very close in sound quality and both amps are relatively plentiful. Be advised that the ME1400/1500 requires the very best loudspeakers to be used. Paired, obviously, with an ME preamp, you will have a system of serious capability. What speakers would you be using?

Hullo dear Trev, hope all is good for you and yours.

The mighty Lenehan ML5, also very revealing!

Amps- am sad. :( All gone.

17 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Hullo dear Trev, hope all is good for you and yours.

The mighty Lenehan ML5, also very revealing!

Amps- am sad. :( All gone.

I don't know the ML5, but if it has been developed by using very low output impedance amplifiers (ie: NOT valve amps), then the ME1400/1500 may be a good match. In general terms, the ME1400/1500 works very well with speaker systems employing large, heavy bass drivers. That said, I have a couple of clients using ME1500 amps with speaker systems employing 130mm bass drivers and the amps perform very well indeed. 

What do you mean by: "Amps- am sad. :( All gone."?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I don't know the ML5, but if it has been developed by using very low output impedance amplifiers (ie: NOT valve amps), then the ME1400/1500 may be a good match. In general terms, the ME1400/1500 works very well with speaker systems employing large, heavy bass drivers. That said, I have a couple of clients using ME1500 amps with speaker systems employing 130mm bass drivers and the amps perform very well indeed. 

What do you mean by: "Amps- am sad. :( All gone."?

OK thanks for the advice Trev.

Was alluding to your comment re- all the 1400 monos being gone. However, if the standard is close then good-o.

Mikes speakers are  a low load apparently (am not an electrical type person, sorry).

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Was alluding to your comment re- all the 1400 monos being gone. However, if the standard is close then good-o.

Mikes speakers are  a low load apparently (am not an electrical type person, sorry).

Sorry but not ME related.

Had someone here on Sunday hence the reason why the 1.7 was back on line!  

He brought his NAD375 that’s supposed to have the capability to drive 2 ohms....  Can never make out NADs specs but I believe it was a 150W/4 or 8 ohms whatever that means....   haven’t had the 1.7 on for st least 18 mths and I thought it was a but tinny in the SQ dept.  any how this member enjoyed his music and made some comments.  B4 we rapped it up I said you need to listened to what the Magtech does.  I couldnt remember in my head what it would be like because I haven’t had the rig on for most of this year!  The Sanders Electronics ajust took the SQ to another level!  Then we put the diy ribbons with 2 Eton drivers/channel Listening to a few tracks we played before and then I get the comment: “ I’m really now spoiled”. 

I can just imagine what it’ll be like with an ME 1500/1400, 850 in the house.  

Now who said electronics didn’t make a difference?   

Edited by Addicted to music

@georgehifi might chime in later today with a report on his 850 when he puts it back together. 

Resistor upgrade 

DC servo cap upgrade 

& another modification that George will comment on. 

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Like 4

Guest jakeyb77
16 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

Yummy. You are lucky to own a piece of Australian history. Let me know if you ever get bored of them :)

It’s not likely but never say never. And I do consider myself very lucky to have been pointed toward these. Thanks @gat474

Edited by jakeyb77

No worries @Jakeyb77. If you do decide to sell them or your 850 be sure to think of me first.

I still rue the day I decided not to buy the 300’s and then I backed it up by passing the Adelaide 850 to a local sale a few months ago! Once I’m serious and financial again I’ll do something about an 850.

Guest jakeyb77
18 minutes ago, gat474 said:

No worries @Jakeyb77. If you do decide to sell them or your 850 be sure to think of me first.

I still rue the day I decided not to buy the 300’s and then I backed it up by passing the Adelaide 850 to a local sale a few months ago! Once I’m serious and financial again I’ll do something about an 850.

Always first on the list mate. 

9 hours ago, Darren69 said:

NO worries. There's not much between the ME1400 Monos and the regular ME1400/1500 (which are internally mono anyway). Don't forget: The ME1400/1500 was fitted with a split wound (one winding for each channel), 5,500VA, double C core power transformer. The only possibility of crosstalk was when demand approached the 5.5kVA mark. By that time, you would have lots more things to worry about (like blown fuses and circuit breakers). 

That said, I thought you had some nice mono amps?

10 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

NO worries. There's not much between the ME1400 Monos and the regular ME1400/1500 (which are internally mono anyway). Don't forget: The ME1400/1500 was fitted with a split wound (one winding for each channel), 5,500VA, double C core power transformer. The only possibility of crosstalk was when demand approached the 5.5kVA mark. By that time, you would have lots more things to worry about (like blown fuses and circuit breakers). 

That said, I thought you had some nice mono amps?

Indeed I do, you know them more intimately than I do. :D 

Hope your back is OK!!