Jakey’s House of Horrors

Guest jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77

Well. New system new thread. The Monoblocks are home. Haven't heard them yet. Impressions to come. I have included a pic with my 550 hicap for size reference. They are serial number 1&2. Mint. I love them. 

20170811_174631.jpg

20170811_174643.jpg

20170811_174722.jpg

20170811_174841.jpg

20170811_180141.jpg

Edited by jakeyb77

54 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Wow!  Nice.  

Where did they come from again?  Because if they really are serial numbers 1 and 2 then that must mean...

They were a special build for one customer. Only 5 or so in existence. More like a bridged ME550 on steroids, despite looking like an ME850. 

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

Had a visit to Trevor's yesterday. Was great to say hello. 

I bought them off the guy who commissioned them. He's a home theatre builder in Sydney. He needed 8 and got ten built and kept 1&2. He's used them about 200 hours. 

Anyway with a little help from @gat474 they became mine. They were $8000 each when new. 

I guess there is some debate as the owner states the transformer was modified from the 555 and the internals were based on a bridged 1400 design. Anyway I'm not going to argue as I wouldn't know how to tell. 

They are 300 watts each. 

And will run my JBL S4600 nicely. 

His brief was he needed the wattage and dynamics  more than the flexibility as the speakers they were designed for didn't wildly change load. So there isn't such a huge energy matrix. I think I got that right but it's not my area. 

Edited by jakeyb77

5 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

They are 300 watts each. 

And will run my JBL S4600 nicely. 

At 8ohms and 91dB, these ME's are way overkill for the JBL's, better sell them to ME;).

What will happen is you'll see this massive bulge slowly travelling up the speaker wires towards the ME's, this will be the JBL's about to be consumed by the ME's.

Cheers George

Capture.JPG

• Like 3

Guest jakeyb77

Here is lids off. 48 X 4700 MFD ME branded caps in each one. Thats 225600MFD. The transformer is 14cm across and 14cm in height. 

20170811_195440.jpg

20170811_195336.jpg

20170811_195315.jpg

Guest jakeyb77
18 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

At 8ohms and 91dB, these ME's are way overkill for the JBL's, better sell them to ME;).

What will happen is you'll see this massive bulge slowly travelling up the speaker wires towards the ME's, this will be the JBL's about to be consumed by the ME's.

Cheers George

Capture.JPG

Hi George. I'm actually pretty concerned this is the case but we'll see. Hopefully they will be fine. If not I'll have to upgrade the speakers haha. 

Guest jakeyb77

Ok ok!! Gave them a run today and they sound brilliant. Volume went to 10 o'clock in the ME14 and that was enough lol. They took a little while to warm to as they are used to sitting around but just got better and better. Snares sound like firecrackers and every note is precise. Well defined soundstage too with the speakers disappearing and the vocals right in the centre. Heaps of headroom but sounded sweet at low volume also. 

Peter Stein told me that they were like an 850 but more dynamic. More suited for speakers that like power rather than current. As you know Jake I was really close to buying them for my atc's. Peter told me they'd be great for atc whereas not so suited for something like a Duntech which is what he designed the 1400 for. I'm guessing your JBL don't need current nor a whole lot of power but love 300 watts of ME.

Peter actually told me that one 1400 is better suited to demanding loads than two, apparently they harder the 1400 has to work the better it performs.

Guest jakeyb77
12 hours ago, darth vader said:

So when is the GTG Jake?

Things are looking sharp in Jakeville:thumb:

Maybe in the warmer months mate. Then I can open the house up. 

• 1 month later...

The rear makes it look like there are 16 output devices per monoblock. Are there 8 or 16 in these things? Oh, I guess there must be 8 and the lower sink is there because it's really an 850 style case. I think I get it. They certainly are pretty. 

Edited by treuben

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, treuben said:

The rear makes it look like there are 16 output devices per monoblock. Are there 8 or 16 in these things?

You'd have to ask Peter Stein. Only 10 were ever built so there is little info available. And I'm not that technical. They are mint they are rare and they are beasts. Otherwise I would never sell the 550.