Cambridge Audio CXUHD 4k player

they usually share the media tek chipsets wiht oppo, so good to see thats continuing. interesting the simplicity of it

I wouldn't go by uk pricing on this kind of thing, wait up to see what its like when lands here.

be interesting to see when they have a full player wiht analogs etc as they have done with previous players.

I have a Cambridge CXU. I'm very happy with it. I do not use any analog connections at all. HDMI to my TV,  the other HDMI to my processor Krell Foundation 4K UHD I run as 6.1. Not walls enough for 7.1.

I see no problem with no analog connections. For what?
(I did use analog in the beginning with my almost 15 years old processor that do not have hdmi connections)

I might purchase a CXUHD since I see more and more h265 stuff out there and my TV support UHD.

EDIT: I miss the front USB connection that my CXU has and I use all the time. I hope that USB sticks can use a short extension cable for quick access .

Edited by Pewe
edit

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Or most people buying a player like this will have better DACs in their processors / receivers?  That's what I thought was behind it. 

No analogue circuitry at all so it's a pure digital path.  Should be pretty awesome in the right set up

48 minutes ago, Chris Disbrey said:

Or most people buying a player like this will have better DACs in their processors / receivers?  That's what I thought was behind it. 

No analogue circuitry at all so it's a pure digital path.  Should be pretty awesome in the right set up

Digital transports make a lot of sense Chris as avr's and pre pro's lose their old school multi channel analog inputs :cool:

As atmos  surround channel counts go up past 7.1.4 back panel real estate will become more and more precious ; so something has to give and that's analog inputs both video and audio .. imho nice :)

Some ce's are more proactive than others so its a way to see which ce's are more future oriented in a way .. 

• 11 months later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

With the demise of Oppo (and extreme rise of 203/205 prices) is the CXUHD worth investigating?

My current blu ray player is a pana Bluray recorder. Picture is good, but sound is average.  TV is a Pio Kuro Gen 9. HT amp is a Pio SC-LX73. 

Also I like the idea of a universal player for bluray, CD and SACD. 

From reading the SC-LX73 manual it is capable of playing full SACD audio over the HDMI connection.

Interested in getting your thoughts?

TIA

3 hours ago, Jeffwbrown said:

With the demise of Oppo (and extreme rise of 203/205 prices) is the CXUHD worth investigating?

Also I like the idea of a universal player for bluray, CD and SACD. 

From reading the SC-LX73 manual it is capable of playing full SACD audio over the HDMI connection.

Certainly is ' the nice thing is it has 1 less source of emi/rf in its chassis with its leaving out the multi analog dacs and associated analog stages . Which is something it shares with the new pio bdp lx500 which does the same :)

If you want an alternative the pio universal is very well built and matches aesthetically your pio SC LX73 . It also probably has the proprietary anti jitter pqls for bitstreams from the bdp lx500..

https://www.pioneeraudio.com.au/products/udp-lx500-universal-disc-player

If you want to take advantage of dolby atmos dts-x uhd discs though you will need a new avr with hdmi 2.0a hdcp2.2 if you want to pass through any uhd disc  sources ; and also decode the object codecs. 

If you don't want to buy a new panel as well to handle UHD sources too a sd universal player will improve your sacd dvd-a etc ; nice oppo's turn up frequently here ..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just curious if anyone knows if the CXUHD is still available in Australia as of February 2019.  I visited a dealer yesterday asking about them, as was informed that the Australian importer is no longer bringing them in - apparently because some of the components were shared with the now defunct Oppo 203/205 the CXUHD is due to be finished.

However, this is not what is stated on the UK Cambridge Audio website, so I wonder if it is just a local decision, or perhaps the dealer I visited has decided not to stock them for whatever reason.

Cheers and thanks

John

Edited by Jonboi

Give Synergy Audio a call, 03 9459 7474, pretty sure they're the only distributor here in Aus.  I have the CXUHD, picked it up from them directly and called them with a query another time, they're helpful and easy to deal with.

• Like 1