JVC X7000 HDR Issuee

Hey guys,

So I'm currently running JVC X7000 with an Integra DRX3 and can get my PlayStation Pro going with no dramas giving me a 4k signal. When I try connect the XBox One S I get audio but no picture.  I've tried so many things to get it going but just no luck. Even tried the same HDMI from game port from Ps4 pro into the XBox and still doesn't work. Any suggestions? 

Hey guys,

Quick question.. might be dumb but new on here.

So I have the JVC x7000 and recentlydid the firmware update to receive new colour profiles. How do you enable HDR mode? How do you check if its working?

After the upgrade my PS4 Pro doesn't read HER in settings. Says not supported by TV? HELP? 

playstation pro is unlikely to be giving a hdcp 2.2 UHD output have you got it set for hdmi 1.4 instead. whereas the xbox one will require hdcp 2.2 uhd. what hdmi cable are you using how long is it to the projector. 

welcome to the world of HdMI !

what is also a factor is media you are trying to send through what is it. what is the image format outputing from either device. 

Hey Al thanks for the reply. It's so weird this whole thing. I game on the PS4 Pro with no dramas. The intention of the XBox One S is simply to play 4K movies with use of the JVC x7000 eshift. Can't get a picture for some reason. Cable to projector is 10m high Speed which came with the projector. 

Doing my my head in 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steven_James89 said:

play 4K movies

yep well that comes wiht hdcp 2.2 and hdmi 2.0a/b requirement so pretty strict

15 minutes ago, Steven_James89 said:

Cable to projector is 10m high Speed which came with the projector. 

thats probably your issue. the jvc dont come with a hdmi cable supplied. what brand model cable is it ? chances are what ever you have it wont pass uhd signal partiucually at 50/60 hz. as there are few and far between in cables that will indeed support.

there are 3 cables can think off that will work e.g. office works comsol 4k cable at $69

the rui pro 4k uhd cable at some hundreds dollars

or korda prs that will only supper 4k uhd for uhd 24 wont support uhd 50/60

17 minutes ago, Steven_James89 said:

Doing my my head in 

yep it has dont that for all heading in this territory.. fortunately some have found solutions :D 

at 

bang on 10m the office works comsol  is probably cheapest working solution, though it is a thick stiff cable if wanting something thin and flexible at more cost the rui pro is the go... if what you have is no go...

Hey Al, thanks for the reply. 

Im.using the cable attached. Believe it's Comsol from office works. 

I just don't understand how the PS4 Pro gives me the right settings to plug and play but the XBox One S doesn't. I think it's a setting issue with JVC HDR.  Need to know how to enable it to read HER content. Ive done the upgrade already via the JVC site. 

Screenshot_20170809-064458.png

Steven I don't knows what that cable is, the comsol 4k uhd doesn't have that thing attached that your cable appears to have. Also ends look different. Also the comsol is a passive cable not directional as yours appears to be given arrows on it.

Below is current cable, yours might be different or older ?

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

There's nothing need to enable HDR at jvc it will detect it itself. The only thing to select is right colour space.

as mentioned the PS4 can't play 4k uhd discs like the x box can. Also you haven't told us what settings you are using on either ?

i would suggest find out what cable you are using. Or buy an office works as with their return policy can just return if doesn't help things.

Hey Al, thanks for the reply. The link you attached is the one I have. Just confirmed it. So is the cable in the link the correct one? Does it meet the specs i need? I had the projector calibrated and using the settings he set. I did the firmware upgrade and now have new colour profiles. Applied the BT 2020 one to the unit thinking it would enable hdr. Will need to take a photo and send it through here to show you its current setup. 

Also.. is the firmware upgrade all thats required or does a calibration through modem cable aswell? 

Sorry but appreciate the help.

1 hour ago, Steven_James89 said:

Hey Al, thanks for the reply. 

Im.using the cable attached. Believe it's Comsol from office works. 

I just don't understand how the PS4 Pro gives me the right settings to plug and play but the XBox One S doesn't. I think it's a setting issue with JVC HDR.  Need to know how to enable it to read HER content. Ive done the upgrade already via the JVC site. 

Screenshot_20170809-064458.png

That looks exactly like the 10m active cable I got from Jaycar. It will not reliably pass UHD content. I bought the Kordz PRS 7.5m cord and doing fine, although I will soon go to the Ruipro, just wish they did a 7.5m length.

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, blybo said:

That looks exactly like the 10m active cable I got from Jaycar. It will not reliably pass UHD content. I bought the Kordz PRS 7.5m cord and doing fine, although I will soon go to the Ruipro, just wish they did a 7.5m length.

Just been having a read elsewhere too and apparently Integra have said that their more recent models are "very finicky" with cables so it could definitely be a cable issue.

5 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Just been having a read elsewhere too and apparently Integra have said that their more recent models are "very finicky" with cables so it could definitely be a cable issue.

Yeah I had the Integra DCH-80.3 at the time but the Kordz worked and put it in my ceiling before any 50/60 content became available. I'm also using a 4:2:2 colour space with the Kordz, haven't tried going full 4:4:4 yet.

We are removing all our heating and cooling ceiling ducts from the room to install a RC split system soon, which will mean running cables will be even more difficult 

• Like 1

Hey guys! 

Great update here for you.

So did the firmware upgrade and all went well there after purchasing the specific cables from ebay. This waa done last week.

Last night I had the unit in BY.2020 colour profile then turned on my new Panasonic 4k player and Wham!! It fired up! No dramas aside from having to create a HDR setting and save the profile. Then create another profile for the PS4Pro. 

HDR is a bit dark but playing around with the settings to get it as good as possible. Still need to play with the 4K player settings. Opened up Logan and blew my mind.

Thanks everyone! 

• Like 1

HDR should not be darker in a normal scene, you should get etra pop and brightness from say, a flame in a otherwise dark room.

From memory I have iris on manual and full open for my JVC HDR profile, and brightness at around +12, but lamp on low and eco mode on. Didn't have to bump up brightness much on high lamp but didn't want the cooling fan going full bore, so low lamp mode is preferable.

47 minutes ago, blybo said:

HDR should not be darker in a normal scene, you should get etra pop and brightness from say, a flame in a otherwise dark room.

From memory I have iris on manual and full open for my JVC HDR profile, and brightness at around +12, but lamp on low and eco mode on. Didn't have to bump up brightness much on high lamp but didn't want the cooling fan going full bore, so low lamp mode is preferable.

The trouble with turning up brightness is that it reduces screen uniformity, especially with a setting over about +5. I've noticed it myself and read it in a review.

Edited by Satanica

29 minutes ago, Satanica said:

The trouble with turning up brightness is that it reduces screen uniformity, especially with a setting over about +5. I've noticed it myself and read it in a review.

That could well be the case, I haven't noticed it, but I'd prefer that to the fan buzzing away just above my head. I only recently turned the lamp down to low and haven't yet had a chance to borrow the "calibration" disc we used originally to set up brightness, contrast etc, so just going by a guestimate.

Just now, blybo said:

That could well be the case, I haven't noticed it, but I'd prefer that to the fan buzzing away just above my head. I only recently turned the lamp down to low and haven't yet had a chance to borrow the "calibration" disc we used originally to set up brightness, contrast etc, so just going by a guestimate.

I only really notice it myself when there are complete fade to black scenes and very dark space scenes. But it's those that we chose and love the JVC for.

33 minutes ago, Steven_James89 said:

Okay thanks for the heads up and setting options. So correct me if im wrong. But to switch to HDR Mode it can only be done by having the colour set to BT2020 profile? 

I called a setting profile (user 1) HDR in the set up so it's easy to use from the remote, but yes you do have to select BT2020 profile

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steven_James89 said:

Hey guys! 

Great update here for you.

So did the firmware upgrade and all went well there after purchasing the specific cables from ebay. This waa done last week.

Last night I had the unit in BY.2020 colour profile then turned on my new Panasonic 4k player and Wham!! It fired up! No dramas aside from having to create a HDR setting and save the profile. Then create another profile for the PS4Pro. 

HDR is a bit dark but playing around with the settings to get it as good as possible. Still need to play with the 4K player settings. Opened up Logan and blew my mind.

Thanks everyone! 

hi steve as I pointed you to in the other thread you created on this topic, best look in the thread below it should give some guidance in setup, HDR setup is not plug and play. jvc provide some recommendations and there are discs (e.g. any sony uhd disc bought) or the R&M files that are needed if want to go further with setup. along with a light meter to also set for output. we have no idea on your screen size or throw gain of screen or whether you have set output of the projector or its just wide open in iris. all things need to set to optimise :)

2 minutes ago, Steven_James89 said:

What settings do you run your HDR? Any chance you can give me a breakdown. Or even send some pics of your set up. I have the x7000 though so not sure what your running? I just need a standard baseline.. the JVC recommended settings were terrible. 

what ever settings someone else run is likely completely meaning less for you. HDR needs to be setup to suit your setup. screen, throw, output etc its not plug and play as has been suggested. refer link above for some tips.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven_James89 said:

Thanks buddy will have a read of this. 

Basically have 110inch screen 1:1 gain, iris is fully open in HDR otherwise very dark picture. Will look into calibration Discs.  Any you can recommend? One for HDR.

check the link pointed to. and other aspect is throw... doesnt matter if have a 110 inch screen if throwing from a long distance will have quite a drop off in output. lamp age also will cause drop off as with iris setting.

Throw distance from projector to the screen? can adjustments be made?

I've noticed also that since I did the update some scenes on (for example John Wick) look unbelievable however some scenes objects In the background are blury?

Is this a setting issue? happens when Im using the calibrated settings from Avical but with the updated BT 2020 colour profile?

Is it best not to mix and match? do you recommend using BT2020 only for the purpose of HRD content?

Thoughts?