surprisetech

New 3-way Speaker Build has finally started.

I'm curious about how you decided upon cap and coil values, and why a 2nd order filter couldn't work for your mid (did you try a series cap/resistor across the low-pass coil?).

Personally, I would have chosen a larger mid, for possibly more comfortable crossover to both the woofer and tweeter.

If you feel like sharing, I'd love to hear more about your design process. Sure others would, too.

Sorry to hear about the distractive year - know the feeling well! (I also had father issues).

Thanks for your fascinating update.

15 hours ago, BioBrian said:

I'm curious about how you decided upon cap and coil values, and why a 2nd order filter couldn't work for your mid (did you try a series cap/resistor across the low-pass coil?).

Personally, I would have chosen a larger mid, for possibly more comfortable crossover to both the woofer and tweeter.

If you feel like sharing, I'd love to hear more about your design process. Sure others would, too.

Sorry to hear about the distractive year - know the feeling well! (I also had father issues).

Thanks for your fascinating update.

Yes, happy to share my reasoning.  Every choice has it's pros and cons.

I went with this particular mid for a couple of reasons:

- It has extremely good off-axis response right across the pass-band that I wanted (and beyond).  I take particular note of 30deg off-axis response curves, as that is closest to the angle at which we do most of our listening. (unless using toe-in).  When originally researching midrange drivers I was surprised to see how many start to fall away soon after 1kHz on their 30deg response.

- Being primarily designed as a compact mid-woofer, it has very low Fs for its size, decent power handling and very similar sensitivity to the woofer.  Since I wanted a fairly low 350Hz crossover point, this all made for an extremely comfortable transition to the woofer using 2nd order filters.  Larger drivers that I looked at generally had higher efficiency and would have required attenuation.

- It has low inductance and an extremely tame impedance curve which is good for the crossover to the tweeter.

- It has very low distortion even at higher listening levels.

The only downside with this choice (AFAIK!) is that rise in the response above 3.5kHz that you can see in the driver response graph in yesterdays post.  Even in the 30deg curve, the peak at around 5.7kHz is 5dB above the level at 2k.  So up to that point, the 2nd order filter was merely flattening that peak rather than providing 6dB of cut.

I thought about filtering out the peak, but figured the cleanest solution with the most predictable results was to change the Mid low-pass and Tweeter high-pass filters to 4th order.  Values were obtained from the calculator on the mh-audio website which allows a good range of variables to be entered.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bree K
      These are a fantastic pair of speakers, with excellent sound quality. If you are looking at them, you should know them
      We just got some B&Ws, but these will give any speaker in this price range a run for their money. Sadly, we don't have room to keep them as a second system.
      Happy to audition on pick up from Camperdown, Sydney. Comes with front grills. Price is relatively firm at $850.
      PM me if interested. Thanks!
    • By HTFan
      As new pair of KRIX Neuphonix speakers in Black veneer. These are seriously as new and I have not used them for over a year.
      These speakers RRP for around $3500. I have the box/manual for the speakers ready to go.
      More info can be found at http://krix.com.au/P....aspx?p=44&id=1
      Price I'm after is $1500
    • By m1ttens
      Hey guys,
      I've got a bunch of things to get rid of as I may be leaving the country for work in a few months!
      That and I need a bit of a shift in my system due to the way I use it.
      If you guys see issues with my prices please let me know! I'd prefer pick up, however postage can be arranged as I have almost all of the boxes.
      (Will post pictures tomorrow evening!)
      1- Sonique Diamond 550 SE's in Jarrah $1900.00 ($2799.00 retail!)
      http://www.sonique.com.au/hifi/diamond.htm
      2- Rega P3 Yellow (P3 not Planar 3 or RP3 or P3/24) with Bias 2 cartidge $450.00
      http://www.drhifi.net.au/Reviews/Rega%20P3%20Review/Rega%20P3%20Review.htm
      3- Creek OBH-21 with OBH-2 PSU $200.00
      http://www.head-fi.org/t/25578/info-on-creek-obh-21-and-obh-21-se-amps
      4- Energy ESW-C8 $250.00
      http://www.energy-speakers.com/subwoofers/?sku=ESW-C8
      Incredible sub for small rooms! Great reviews!
      5- Sennheiser RS-120 $120.00
      http://www.sennheiser.com.au/au/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_wireless-headphones_504779
      It's some great gear! With the speakers I'll include a pair of 5m (?) Tara Labs Omni speaker cable with Banana plugs for convenience!
      With the sub I'll include my 5m Tara Labs coax lead (I think it's a higher end video one, but can't remember)
      Anyways, would prefer pick up, you can also come and have a listen providing we set up a time!
      As I have sold my amp, you'd probably have to bring yours.
      Cheers!
      -Andrew
    • By twwen2
      Item: ProAc Response 1SC in cherry
      Price: $1250 including postage to Australia
      Item Condition: 7/10 - see below for details.
      Reason for selling: Making space
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Direct Deposit
      Extra Info: The venerable ProAc 1SC. I purchased these last year from a forum member on SNA. They are in reasonably good condition, but do have some minor marks scratches on sides and top of both speakers (only visible up close). These are a very capable standmount speaker with a sound that is enticing.
      The speakers do not have their original box, but will come safely packed. Shipping within Australia is included in the asking price.
      Review: http://www.stereophi...oudspeakers/386
      Pics:

• By Oldknees2
      Looking at Selling the following speakers (currently on ebay as well). Looking for offer above $3950?
      Focal- JM Lab Electra Be 937
      Extremely rare - 25th ANNIVERSARY-LIMITED EDITION.
      Just 300 pairs in the WORLD!
      Electra BERYLLIUM LINE.
      UTOPIA finish,drivers and parts.
      Most audiophiles prefer them to UTOPIA DIVA due to sound and design with front loaded double 8" Bass drivers.
      Frequency response (-3dB) 35Hz - 37kHz
      Efficiency (2,83 V/1 m) 92dB
      Nominale impedance 8 ohms
      Minimum impedance 3.3 ohms
      Crossover frequency OPC(Optimum Phase Crossover) 300Hz/2800 Hz
      Drivers: Two 8" W cone woofer
      6" W cone midrange
      1" TCE Be pure Beryllium inverted dome tweeter(same used in UTOPIA Line)
      Maximum power 250 Watts
      46Hx11Wx19D
      Heavy-95Lbs each
      Classic Light Gold Burr Ash Finish
      Excellent reviews. Look and sound fantastic
      In excellent condition - cabinets mint. Removable grills good.
      No boxes
      These retailed in Australia for $14,000 / pair.
      Only selling due to downsizing. These have been rarely used and driven extremely lightly. Currently in a home theatre application.
      Pick up preferred. You can arrange a courier at your own cost, or I may be able to transport these to say Sydney if you twist my arm.
      ebay link : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271171388909?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_638wt_966