Apple TV Owners & Discussion Thread

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, Quark said:

Wow, an incredibly bad joke of a product. Seriously, who wants 2:3 judder by converting 24Hz material to 60Hz? Welcome to 2009!

For that money is it to hard to deliver a source direct mode like even my humble toppy 2400 Rob ? Hopefully theres a firmware upgrade possible..

• Like 1

After a week or so of ownership, I can't recommend this product.

The issues I have found;  the menu is buggy and no improvement on the gen 2 or 3 imo, the remote is frankly flat out bad, the screen time sometimes stays on. Even with decent internet and a faster processor it seems to take longer to display normal 1080p content.

i only realised after purchasing this that downloads or rentals will never be 4K, which is exceedingly disappointing, as I basically never buy movies on iTunes rather rent. I seriously hope they rethink that plan as well.

Pending attaching this to a 4K tv and watching a 4K movie, this is pretty disappointing frankly, much like the iPhone 8 and its limited improvements over iPhone 7, apple seem to be significantly running out of developmental momentum, ie resting on their laurels and banking $ from a devoted customer base, I'm out at this point..

@Ray H thanks for headsup, definitely sounds like one to sit out. i was hoping this one would be dandy as streamer and fill the gap of missing streamer functionality on the oppo. never mind I see amazon fire tv is out and possibly other  things will come along. am busy enough with uhds lobbing at a fast rates of knots to keep up so probably give a miss till streaming side of these things gets sorted :)

ray what do you plan to do ? keep using or lob back to apple. if already got a atv previous gen i would have probably returned. thank goodness i didnt get one. almost pre ordered.

I agree re the iPhone too. another one to sit out. apple will get the message....

@:) al

Gday Al, I will keep it and hope they fix some of the issues via iOS update. Sadly about the  best thing out of this is that we have been able to move the gen2 to our bedroom tv, which is handy. Probably should have just stuck with an amazon fire or even chrome cast ultra perhaps as you mentioned. 70% of the use is Netflix and Stan etc.

regards,

Ray

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ray H said:

@:) al

Gday Al, I will keep it and hope they fix some of the issues via iOS update. Sadly about the  best thing out of this is that we have been able to move the gen2 to our bedroom tv, which is handy. Probably should have just stuck with an amazon fire or even chrome cast ultra perhaps as you mentioned. 70% of the use is Netflix and Stan etc.

regards,

Ray

makes sense ray, do keep us posted how things progress. am sure will eventually get on top of things...

14 hours ago, Ray H said:

After a week or so of ownership, I can't recommend this product.

The issues I have found;  the menu is buggy and no improvement on the gen 2 or 3 imo, the remote is frankly flat out bad, the screen time sometimes stays on. Even with decent internet and a faster processor it seems to take longer to display normal 1080p content.

i only realised after purchasing this that downloads or rentals will never be 4K, which is exceedingly disappointing, as I basically never buy movies on iTunes rather rent. I seriously hope they rethink that plan as well.

Pending attaching this to a 4K tv and watching a 4K movie, this is pretty disappointing frankly, much like the iPhone 8 and its limited improvements over iPhone 7, apple seem to be significantly running out of developmental momentum, ie resting on their laurels and banking $ from a devoted customer base, I'm out at this point..

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that rentals are not in 4k, but they are. Check out the info here https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207949

yes you can rent 4k titles or purchase them but they can't download them. some people have reported where apple have stated the title is in 4k but after they have purchased them and played them they have found them only to be in hd. however making a complaint to apple they were able to secure a refund. 

Yes it's not ideal - the "apple elegant" approach to unifying video display but remember under the tvios update to version 11 you can tell the system to use a particular resolution, bit depth / colour palette and refresh rate.  

this update us available on both the atv 4K and gen 4 models.

of course no-one wants to have to change the global system settings every time you wish to view different content but the ability to do so is there.

hopefully they see reason and reinstate native resolution, refresh rate and colour palette dependent on source via an update.

forcing pseudo HDR bt20.20 colour pallette on sdr material is overly ambitious to saythe least.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, broadbean said:

I'm planning on getting one, and noticed Apple Store no longer sells their own branded HDMI Cables. Does this mean we needed "higher quality" HDMI Cables as well?

depends on length. if just 1-2m any high speed cable will do. honestly any. for lengths 2-6m or so will need premium certified :)

5 minutes ago, :) al said:

depends on length. if just 1-2m any high speed cable will do. honestly any. for lengths 2-6m or so will need premium certified :)

If that's true, that would be great! Well, I suppose no harm trying what I've got first... Thanks!

Just a warning on 4K devices and distance, we have had feedbacks from installers all over the country, 4K and distance is a bloody disaster. Copper cables just not cutting the mustard. We have found that Tributries seem to work, to an extent.

there is a compnay in the states that certifies the cables - http://www.dpllabs.com/ this seems to be a good reference.

The Lumagen video processor we use to do 2.35:1 project with is VERY finiky with HDMI cables, Jim whom is the CEO says only use a 2m (minimum) lead when connecting devices, he explained that HDMI has an EQ built in for under 2m leads. Seems to be right, every time we use 2m+ leads things seem to work. We have taken on FIBBR HDMI cables and have exhaustively tested, these seem to work without batting an eyelid. Which is a godsend really. I was in on a CEDIA USA course only a few months back and the kings of the industry still curse the problems that HDMI causes, when you are on to a good thing stick to it!

Otherwise run a conduit to the display device so you can upgrade to 8K when that comes out and gobbles up more bandwidth.

• Like 1

Do you mean 2m for interconnects between receiver and various players? With a projector it is pretty hard to have anything of use within 2m of it, unless you flip the hardware and run your longest speaker cables to centre and mains.

Fibbr - are you using these over 2m? Eg safe for a projector. Where do you source them from also?

And what do you mean by " run a conduit to the display device so you can upgrade to 8K"?

Edited by Mobe1969

5 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Do you mean 2m for interconnects between receiver and various players? With a projector it is pretty hard to have anything of use within 2m of it, unless you flip the hardware and run your longest speaker cables to centre and mains.

Fibbr - are you using these over 2m? Eg safe for a projector.

An d what do you mean by " run a conduit to the display device so you can upgrade to 8K"?

for upto 2m as been mentioned prior and with some experience anything goes as long as high speed. over 2m get a premium certified. these max out at 6m. 6m to 10m the office works comsol 4k is solid and works for 4k uhd 50/60. over 10m you have to use fibre and there is only one to recommend at this stage and thats the ruipro. go with anything else at your peril. if can keep to 6m for a projector you can use premium certified at relatively affordable cost. if can keep to 10m can use the office works comsol at relatively affordable cost. if going over 10m is when its going to cost you with the ruipro

conduit, most people suggest if running cables in a new setup to put 3" conduit in for cable runs eg pvc pipe. even 50mm 2" isnt good enough as soon can get clogged with more than one cable needing to run.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mobe1969 said:

Ah, OK on conduit. I did put one in but only 38mm, so it will be a tightish fit on the corner.  I didn't have any options due to wall thickness.

prob be ok with the one cable. problem tends to be when trying to run more than one or have one follow the other in to replace. I had to pull one hdmi out last time around to replace with the one am running now. and thats without conduit. though i have easy access for cable runs to change over. 

• Like 1

In retrospect I should have done the conduit slightly different.

I was intending on pulling a hdmi plus an ethernet cable through at the same time, have the router at the receiver/AppleTV/UHD/console end. I figure as long as I bind them and wrap/bag the end of the HDMI cable to smooth the angles it shouldn't get jammed, I should be OK.

I'll look at a ruipro for the projector. Cheers

Finally plugged in my Apple TV 4K today, found there was a cable test and offered me 4:2:0. Will try another cable tomorrow to see if it supports 4:2:2. I don’t know what they exactly mean - had a quick scan on Wikipedia, not sure if I’d notice the difference!

7 minutes ago, broadbean said:

Finally plugged in my Apple TV 4K today, found there was a cable test and offered me 4:2:0. Will try another cable tomorrow to see if it supports 4:2:2. I don’t know what they exactly mean - had a quick scan on Wikipedia, not sure if I’d notice the difference!

how long is your cable ?

re chroma or colour sampling the below might help,

Color Subsampling (4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4)

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

• Like 2