Apple TV Owners & Discussion Thread

On 21/11/2017 at 3:20 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Do you mean 2m for interconnects between receiver and various players? With a projector it is pretty hard to have anything of use within 2m of it, unless you flip the hardware and run your longest speaker cables to centre and mains.

Fibbr - are you using these over 2m? Eg safe for a projector. Where do you source them from also?

And what do you mean by " run a conduit to the display device so you can upgrade to 8K"?

yes 2m leads from source to AVR

Yes, FIBBR over 2m stocking 2m 10m 20m & 30m they will be most useful.

the 2m more useful as they lift ground, you cant transmit a buzz typically through optic glass! (very handy)

We suggest that installs run a conduit up to PJ's .... all the way back the AVR position, this way you can replace the cable by pulling thru a draw wire, if you catch my drift?

1 hour ago, broadbean said:

Apple TV 4K seemed to let me select 4:2:2 using the same cable that defaulted to 4:2:0. Really can’t tell any difference. Switched to supposedly a better high speed cable, again defaulted to 4:2:0.

Can the AppleTV 4K do 4:4:4 anyway?

as per link i posted too, chroma upsampling for sake of it doesnt gain a lot apart from push cables.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/127223-4k-hdr-appletv/?do=findComment&comment=3802200

also keep in mind  depends on what frame rate the apple tv is running at. I suspect 50/60 hz as most streamers are these days in which case hdmi only supports 4:2:0 at 10 bit. if wanting 4:4:4 only supports 8 bit.

personally i wouldn't worry too much about things. its very unlikely you cable at under 2m is doing anything to hamper. 

10 hours ago, broadbean said:

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way it is, just a little annoyed it seems rather "complicated."

You'd think in this day and age these g damn devices would communicate and figure out what the best was each was capable of and default to that as a starting point. But it was like the 4k advent everything took a "dumbening"...

4 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

You'd think in this day and age these g damn devices would communicate and figure out what the best was each was capable of and default to that as a starting point. But it was like the 4k advent everything took a "dumbening"...

it is and has... its just broadbean obviously wants to fiddle and explore the bounds :) and no harm.

its just a whole new format and you cant expect everyone to have head around from get go ! 

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

its just a whole new format and you cant expect everyone to have head around from get go ! 

In some ways it's more complicated than USB-C. But I think they make it more complicated than has to be especially with competing standards and not mandatory on certain "standards". I was surprised to learn wide colour gamut didn't just mean higher colour bit depths. It makes sense when you think about it, but in the end, it's way too "technical", if you know what I mean.

10 minutes ago, broadbean said:

In some ways it's more complicated than USB-C. But I think they make it more complicated than has to be especially with competing standards and not mandatory on certain "standards". I was surprised to learn wide colour gamut didn't just mean higher colour bit depths. It makes sense when you think about it, but in the end, it's way too "technical", if you know what I mean.

has to be more complicated than usb C as hdmi is conveying copy protected info and working in with industry protocols as defined by hdmi org for the current version. wiht regards the aspect re the complexity of hdmi we have a whole thread re hdmi sucks :D so nothing as such apple tv per say. things should and indeed do just work in a plug and play fashion i have found unless not using the requisite cables as i have pointed above or if the gear question...is questionable and some of it has been in early days most resolved by firmware however as have found even some new gear eg the x box one X from a giant like microsoft can have some hdmi gremlins even though released so much later in the piece...none of the makers releasing first offs seem to have learnt of the mistakes of others gone ahead...

1 hour ago, :) al said:

has to be more complicated than usb C as hdmi is conveying copy protected info and working in with industry protocols as defined by hdmi org for the current version.

Thunderbolt 3 which also uses (the) USB-C (physical port) supports HDMI as well, and I would think at some point incorporates all of the complexity from there as well. Maybe!

ATM Kogan are selling 64 k versions of gen4 ATV for as low as $199 then if you get another vendor to load Kodi and Popcorn into it for another $70 or so it might be worth while buy? BTW what is Kodi and Popcorn streamers like and are they worth having?

Edited by agelessgoodguy
added text

The current eBay/Myer 20% off sale has the 4K 32GB Apple TV listed. Unfortunately there is only one transaction each (10 items) with a max of $300 discount. By the time I bought  a few other goodies there wasn't enough left to get the Apple TV 4K with the 20% discount. 

Edited by Spearmint
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spearmint said:

The current eBay/Myer 20% off sale has the 4K 32GB Apple TV listed. Unfortunately there is only one transaction each (10 items) with a max of $300 discount. By the time I bought  a few other goodies there wasn't enough left to get the Apple TV 4K with the 20% discount. 

Hey @Spearmint Just a quick OT reminder to check your inbox please :thumb:

by the way looks like apple has a beta update for the 4k ATV for match frame rate and match dynamic range. which means you can set it to watch SDR content in SDR rather than converting everything to HDR. and also a match frame rate which means we can watch 50Hz stuff at 50Hz rather than the speed up to 60hz the current one is doing.

so good to see that apple has a remedy in the pipeline on this. meaning with this sorted it could be a good christmas present :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Spearmint I picked one up this evening on way home. not sure when get a chance to setup. but good to hear on the amazon prime ap. though dent understand this code business, but am sure will make sense when get around to it.

I had an amazon prime account but it ran out, so will have to renew. do we get amazon prime here in au ? as was one of the reasons i let run out. hoping to update once they had here. ps am not running any vpns or anything.

So far I’m happy with the Apple TV, particularly using to phone or tablet as the remote.

With regards Amazon Prime Video, yes it’s been available here for a number of months. It costs (well did) $2.99USD per month for first six months, and then goes up,. Still cheaper than either Netflix’s and Stan, although the Amazon content is IMO not as good for the things I like to watch compared to Netflix. They have put up a 4K interview with the space station. I’ve only watched about 10mins so far to check the quality, will endeavor to watch the rest over the weekend.

• Like 2

That’s not too much and would be on top of our Netflix we have.

one thing I’m unsure if is prime in us buys more privilege ie better shipping and such so hence have held back till we get full benefit. But st small additional cost it seems might just look at renewing to check out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, :) al said:

That’s not too much and would be on top of our Netflix we have.

one thing I’m unsure if is prime in us buys more privilege ie better shipping and such so hence have held back till we get full benefit. But st small additional cost it seems might just look at renewing to check out

I'm with you there. There are a two things I'd like to see (Man in the High Castle and Grand Tour). I have such a backlog of stuff to watch as it is, last thing I really need is more. If however there was some real other benefit to Amazon prime for me, yes, I'd look at it then.

• Like 1

Prime video apps shows up automatically even on older 3rd generation machines. I already had a prime US account and just had to enter login info.

If anybody wants to off load a 4th Gen (non 4k) ATV in Melbourne I could be interested. I already have 1 but want to have another in my study for a cycling trainer app/game which has just been released for 4th/5th Gen models. Until I get a reliable NBN connection there is no point in me having the 4k version.

Series 2 of Grand Tour is available as of today for those interested. I'd suggest that was always in mind with the release of the Prime Video app on ATV.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 2