Apple TV Owners & Discussion Thread

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/08/06/apple-accidentally-confirms-new-4k-hdr-apple-tv/#4a86fbdc20e5

if the article is correct, and good news it will be if it is indeed coming. far to many half baked devices around and quite hit and miss the support, hoping appleTV is a reasonably option as 4k source :)

"Apple Accidentally Confirms New 4K HDR Apple TV

After months of rumours and ardent sleuthing by the world’s gazillions of armchair Apple detectives, it now seems all but certain that a new Apple TV with 4K and high dynamic range support is on its way. And rather awkwardly for the infamously secretive tech giant, the source of this confirmation ‘leak’ is Apple’s own Homepod speaker.

Last night (August 6) iOS developer Guilherme Rambo tweeted that he’d spotted lines of code within the iOS system powering the Homepod that refer to an Apple TV capable of supporting not only 4K resolution and high dynamic range video, but also the Dolby Vision premium HDR solution and, even more intriguingly, the HLG version of HDR set to be used by broadcasters.

By adding Dolby Vision alongside support for the industry standard HDR10 format, the new Apple TV will deliver video capabilities which at least rival the Chromecast Ultra, and which outgun the likes of the Roku Ultra and Amazon Fire TV."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, PauliD said:

If you own movies on iTunes you get 4K HDR versions (if they exist) for free. That's nice. But new hardware sucks for recent buyers of the still kinda new gen 4 boxes.

we tend to hand me down paul. sell the very oldest, pass down the newest within family so not much lost in change over in real terms... "within the family" :D

if you want you can also sell off existing one and i see people selling their older units and still get reasonable money, the very older units are hackable. dont know the current just to be superseded :)

I have a hand me down Apple TV Gen 3 from my Dad who didn't use it. I actually gave it to him as a present to get iView on his TV. But using a iPad to push it to the screen was too hard for some reason. The Gen 3 is the least hackable. Kodi instructions of installing it is basically a guide to screen sharing from another Mac or jailbroken iPad. 

I posted in the Oppo 203/205 thread asking if a member who has one could test a Atmos MKV via USB to see if can do bitstream out from a file. Hopefully a response there will help me decide which way to go. But thats for the other thread :)

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Lynne Mangold said:

I placed a pre order for the 4k apple tv but have cancelled it due to the 4k only being successful on 4k itunes content. 

it doesn't switch over when you are displaying hd apps content. no youtube 4k either. 

This is the whole issue with Apple in general, so restrictive.

• Like 1

I purchased one of these today to replace our gen 2 Apple TV, which has provided sterling service for around 8 years now. Will retire the gen 2 to the bedroom.

i understand the sentiment re 4K content limitations, but given I'm using a plasma (non smart) tv, I'm hoping this provides a bit of a quantum leap in performance and will show its worth when I get around to 4K tv purchase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I purchased one of these today to replace our gen 2 Apple TV, which has provided sterling service for around 8 years now. Will retire the gen 2 to the bedroom.

i understand the sentiment re 4K content limitations, but given I'm using a plasma (non smart) tv, I'm hoping this provides a bit of a quantum leap in performance and will show its worth when I get around to 4K tv purchase.

be interested in your thoughts ray. I've hesitated getting one, we have a pretty paltry internet service and on the never never as far as nbn goes so 4k very highly unlikely and with previous gen Apple TV happy for now.

but who know we might get the nbn (we have the box on the wall outside but its connected to nothing, might be 6 months as they say. but they told us 3 months 12 months ago so who knows but maybe then :D

ps a couple of bummers i have read re the new apple tv is no atmos ? which is a pity and also no 24p which is also a pity. will mean like many streaming devices now they will be up speeding to 50/60 hz.

anyways i'll keep tabs... see who things progress. would be nice of atmos was a firmware update and 24p was engaged.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Wow, an incredibly bad joke of a product. Seriously, who wants 2:3 judder by converting 24Hz material to 60Hz? Welcome to 2009!

am sitting tight on my current apple tv. at present anyways dont see need for update.

our fetch mighty has some 4k streaming capability so will stick with that for now. lets see if appletv gets any updates 

the appletv as a product are very slick, though have no doubt on the 4k aspect probably got some sorting ! 

re the 60hz business, very unfortunately all the streamers even ones built in the players all do this for what reason goodness knows.....

• Like 1

will see below basically sammy uhd amazon firth box, etc all do 4k/60

I have a Samsung UDB-K8500 but it doesn't even sync properly with the RS400. It plays the disc fine at 4K/24 but gets out-of-sync (No Input) with the Netflix etc which defaults to 4K/60 on the player.
@claw had the same issue but was able to resolve it; unfortunately his solution didn't work for me.
Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread

For 4K streaming I'm using the Amazon FireTV box and the Bell FibeTV 4K box. Strange thing is that these work at 4K/60 with the projector.

poor guy also struggling with the sammy but i found it to work 4k60 for streaming. and did 4k 24 no props off uhd. 

in some ways i would wish oppo added the streaming apps to their current players. about only company i think would do streaming justice at 4k24

unless the 4k60 is something related to streaming media itself. wouldn't surprise me that all media is in that format rather than 4k 24 itself ?

FYI the TV iOS update adds finer control over AV settings in the gen 4 and 4K Apple tvs.  Go to your video settings.   Gen 4 allows colour options between c/m/y and rgb whilst allowing resolution and refresh changes.  The 4K box goes further allowing for testing of HDR performance and chroma mapping depth.  It's brilliant and long overdue.

watched Wonder Woman last night.  Now I'm not certain but I believe for rental you are restricted to 1080 resolution but you do get it delivered with hdr using the bt20.20 colourspace.  I confirmed this using the info section of my AV pre-pro.  

You only get the 4K product if you buy outright which is sad, would be good if someone could confirm this.  I've only read this in Fairfax press last week and staring closely at the tv suggests it was in fact 1080 upscaled to 4K by the box before being sent over hdmi.

only 5.1 sound but it does sound good upsampled to dts:x ?. The picture quality was superb and yes the HDR is spectacular.

my 4K Apple TV is set to 4K picture @24hz and 4:2:2 chroma mapping.  I also needed to adjust the gamma on my tv as the HDR 10 scheme initially appeared a bit washed out.

Edited by Lil Caesar

... Al well in typical fashion for Apple it's difficult to pick any major changes in appearance or performance vs the older unit, other than 4K and snappier speed thanks to the gruntier chipset.  Games will benefit the most I suspect.  

For a/v purposes Audio remains largely unchanged but the 4K refresh rate, HDR and chroma mapping options are great way to test cable and tv/projector performance and for us- the pre/pro sitting in the middle.

apple even refer to the HDR settings as a "cable test" in the app.

performance was seamless for me, everything just worked.  Apart from tweaking picture settings on my tv for HDR there are no complaints.  I have Nbn fibre to the premises and using Aussie broadband after ditching Optus.

average 60-70 mbs so no streaming performance issues but I still Change my atv settings to delay playback from instant to ensure smooth delivery.  I'd rather wait for a minute in advance than have something happen in a crucial scene ?

• Like 1