'Live TV Calibration' Sony A1 OLED Adelaide

To celebrate the release of Sony's new A1 OLED today, I have arranged a 'live' calibration of a 65" A1.

If you've ever wanted to get a bit of an insight into what happens during TV calibration and/or just want to drool over some new TV tech, you're welcome to attend.

I will be at The Good Guys at Hectorville from 12.00 this Thursday 10/08. If you do come in please give me a tap on the shoulder and introduce yourself.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tony

as you may know, I'll be interested in something like this soon - perhaps when some discounts start to happen.

I have a preference for Panasonic brands - the SONY will need to be significantly better/cheaper to change my mind.  Certainly removes the need for a reprogram of the remotes, which is worth something for us.

I dislike LG, even if they are a good product today (I understand all OLEDs use LG panels).

If/when I next see you,  I'll be asking your advice, with a latter calibration.  Sometime over the next 8 months.

By the way, is it better to wait a week or three before calibrating a new TV?

Benje (James)

2 hours ago, Kensell21 said:

Do I have to be sitting down to know the price?? emoji44.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 inch RRP $4999  --  65 inch RRP $7499

That's more expensive than the Panasonic EZ950U models which are RRP $4199 and $6599 but cheaper than Panasonic's TOTL 65 inch EX1000U model which is $8899.  I'd like an OLED set if (when :() my Kuro dies but the 65 inchers are still too exxy for me.  Hopefully in a year or two ...

Edited by brumby

1 hour ago, brumby said:

55 inch RRP $4999  --  65 inch RRP $7499

That's more expensive than the Panasonic EZ950U models which are RRP $4199 and $6599 but cheaper than Panasonic's TOTL 65 inch EX1000U model which is $8899.  I'd like an OLED set if (when :() my Kuro dies but the 65 inchers are still too exxy for me.  Hopefully in a year or two ...

Just have to be Savy mate, I had Kuro 509a, the ex wife ended up with it. Now have. 65" LG OLED for $4300. Well worth IMO, asking price was $5999. Good thing about LG OLED is that all of the panels are the same, the base model and the flagship have identical picture quality.

Fair enough, Matt.  $4300 is about what I paid for my Kuro 50" ten years ago (when the RRP was about $6k ;)).  Problem is that I was earning then and I'm retired now.  As long as the Kuro works, I don't have any burning desire to upgrade it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brumby said:

Fair enough, Matt.  $4300 is about what I paid for my Kuro 50" ten years ago (when the RRP was about $6k ;)).  Problem is that I was earning then and I'm retired now.  As long as the Kuro works, I don't have any burning desire to upgrade it.

I would have been quite happy to keep mine too,  fantastic telly!!

Im pretty happy with the OLED, I think it crushed blacks a little though. It's not that much of s step over the KURO. Going for 50 to 65 is where you'll see the most improvement.

Edited by metalheadz

5 hours ago, metalheadz said:

I would have been quite happy to keep mine too,  fantastic telly!!

Im pretty happy with the OLED, I think it crushed blacks a little though. It's not that much of s step over the KURO. Going for 50 to 65 is where you'll see the most improvement.

Have you got a 6th generation LG? I do. I ran some basic brightness and contrast calibration on it and it needed a couple of extra notches to remove most black crush. 

10 hours ago, Satanica said:

Have you got a 6th generation LG? I do. I ran some basic brightness and contrast calibration on it and it needed a couple of extra notches to remove most black crush. 

Yeah i gen 6. I've also done a basic home calibration using HD basics disc. I've turned off all the extra processing too. I did leave a little bit of motion smoothing on as panning was riddled with judder.

Thanks for the tip, I might try scaling them back a little.

Edited by metalheadz

3 hours ago, metalheadz said:

Yeah i gen 6. I've also done a basic home calibration using HD basics disc. I've turned off all the extra processing too. I did leave a little bit of motion smoothing on as when it was off panning was riddled with judder.

Thanks for the tip, I might try scaling them back a little.

I think I have Brightness 52, Contrast 64, OLED Light 70, Gamma 2.2. For motion resolution improvement I have De-Blur on 10 and De-Judder on 4.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I think I have Brightness 52, Contrast 64, OLED Light 70, Gamma 2.2. For motion resolution improvement I have De-Blur on 10 and De-Judder on 4.

Thanks mate, I'll give these a whirl when I get home. I have a pro calibration booked in pending enough numbers for a Canberra visit.

16 minutes ago, Benje said:

It appears that discounts of 20% to 25% from the RRP is being achieved on these OLEDs already.

Do your research if you are interested in buying one.

It's much the same with any retail price, there should always be 20% margin you can batter. I do anyway 

21 minutes ago, Benje said:

It appears that discounts of 20% to 25% from the RRP is being achieved on these OLEDs already.

Do your research if you are interested in buying one.

yes i have posted in the oled thread with both video pro and myer discounting either models of the sony oled. i went past a jb hifi yesterday and they hadnt even got theirs out the box.... and discounting has started already :D 

Yes, it means that the $6500 TV might be somewhere in the $4500-$5000 range.

No doubt it will be less again in the future, and some other features might get fixed/added.

At some point in time, the price will be right.

On 16/08/2017 at 3:42 PM, Benje said:

Tony

as you may know, I'll be interested in something like this soon - perhaps when some discounts start to happen.

I have a preference for Panasonic brands - the SONY will need to be significantly better/cheaper to change my mind.  Certainly removes the need for a reprogram of the remotes, which is worth something for us.

I dislike LG, even if they are a good product today (I understand all OLEDs use LG panels).

If/when I next see you,  I'll be asking your advice, with a latter calibration.  Sometime over the next 8 months.

By the way, is it better to wait a week or three before calibrating a new TV?

Benje (James)

Hi Benje,

Apologies for the late response, I'm just starting to catch up on everything now.

I haven't calibrated any of the Panasonic OLED's yet, but they are getting great reviews and given their prior history with plasmas, I would be very surprised if they're not excellent performers.

While it's not strictly necessary, it never hurts to clock a few hours on the panel before calibration, with somewhere around the 100+ hour mark being ideal.

Hope you're well, talk soon...

Tony

• Like 1