Sansui Alpha Series Amplifier Reviews

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I probably should be holding off on creating this thread but I've been so slack lately that I haven't had anything to post about and the lack of anything to write has me breaking out in hives so I tho

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or start a new thread for the Wilson Benesh Discovery stand mounts but since I've already got the Sansui thread I figure I might as well continue. I

I was listening to the Sansui 907 NRA on my ML2 Limiteds a while ago (quite a while ago I think, some time last year actually) and I was really enjoying the combo (check out my "Addicts Guide" thread

4 hours ago, Cafad said:

Thanks Huxxy, I managed to track down the gentleman who made that post that you quoted above and PM'ed him over on Audiokarma.  He does not know what the fault was as such but is of the opinion that if a particular 607 NRA is faulty then it simply will not work (rather than it doing anything drastic like emitting smoke or destroying speakers, which was what I was afraid of).  So if a particular 607 NRA works then it is either a unit without the fault or one that was fixed by Sansui for free back when it was current.

Also, on a related but different note, I think I should put a time limit on this offer of a 907 that I made for info regarding the Alpha 907 EXTRA.  I'll leave the offer open until the end of August 2018 (midnight, GMT +10 hours, August 31st for those who need more specific info), almost 2 months left for anyone who feels they might be able to score themselves a 907.

Hey cafad, sorry for not linking that forum. I wasnt trying to be obtuse, just only so much time and cut and paste on a mobile phone is painfull :)

I cant find the other article/forum i read somewhere in the tubes.... but recall it was like ~300 of the I were made before the problem was spotted.

And, sadly, I thought the trouble was rather self-destructive??

You're right mate, I found the source pretty quick.

I don't know just how self destructive this fault was but word is that it is a fault that doesn't hide for very long.  So any 607's that have been used for any length of time should be ones that are fault free.

Edit:

I dropped off the Extra and the L Extra to Andy for some technical TLC.  It seems the L Extra had some non-genuine parts fitted so I'm hoping this solves the whole "doesn't sound much like its brothers" situation that I thought I had found.  No news on the Extra yet.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I received an update email from Andy yesterday, the L Extra had a non-genuine relay fitted on the speaker board (now replaced with a genuine one), it has had some work done on the power amp select switch for unknown reasons and it has a rather nasty crack in the preamp PCB.  The PCB crack had been repaired but not well enough for Andy so he has re-repaired it.  

I had no idea it was that unwell. 

Still no news on the Extra.

• Like 2

It seems all the Extra needed was a few switches cleaned.  Both the Extras are now back home and sounding much healthier than they were previously.

IMG_0759.thumb.JPG.3d72a98e2c44e9b54ed8168745d94888.JPG

The L Extra no longer has a recessed sound stage and the mids aren't as soft as they were although the bass is still a bit on the soft side.  The Extra sounds very much like the 907i but a little cleaner in the top end and maybe a slightly lower noise floor.  So yes, the Sansui that shouldn't exist sounds very Sansui-like.

Also, and this is completely irrelevant to the sound side of things, the Extra seems to have been polished in recent memory as it isn't just a beautiful black face plate but a shiny and clean beautiful black face plate.  There are a few dings on the left top and left front edge but it's still a pretty face. Pictures just don't do it justice.

No progress on finding any info on it guys?  Time is marching on and my reward offer expires at the end of the month.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 3
57 minutes ago, Cafad said:

No progress on finding any info on it guys?  Time is marching on and my reward offer expires at the end of the month.

It's taking me longer than I thought to doctor the necessary info and photos, host it somewhere on the web, and wait for the google sniffers to catalogue it.

Once this happens... huzzah!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 06/08/2018 at 10:19 AM, pete_mac said:

It's taking me longer than I thought to doctor the necessary info and photos, host it somewhere on the web, and wait for the google sniffers to catalogue it.

Once this happens... huzzah!

That's a very cunning plan you have there Pete.  You've obviously put some serious thought into this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cafad said:

That's a very cunning plan you have there Pete.  You've obviously put some serious thought into this.

Desperate times call for desperate measures!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got word back from Andy today, he found nothing wrong with the MR (although he did clean all the switches and pots while he was looking, so that's a good thing) so I am forced to conclude that it is actually meant to sound a little more on the "harder and more detailed" side of the street.  Closer to the sound of the new Sony TA-A1ES (although not so close as to make it difficult to listen to, like the Sony was, I'm still disappointed about that) than the other Sansuis.

Now all I need is a switch clean for the 907i and a power button check for the KX and they'll be ready to move on to their next owners.  Oh, and I have to wait for midnight on the 31st to pass us by, just in case.

• Like 2

I made a few changes to my listening room over the last week.  I decided to try moving my speakers about in search of that mythical position where they 'disappear' and release all that magical sound stage energy as they slide sideways into a parallel dimension that is constructed purely of sonic bliss.

Or at least this was what I had been lead to believe would happen.  The reality was far less satisfying.  I spent a couple of hours moving speakers and stands left and right and back and forward and finding no difference that I considered to be worthwhile I even tried the position recommended by an on line calculator.  The on line calculator says that they should be about 4 inches closer together than they are in the pic below.

IMG_0776.thumb.JPG.801354c6d47837cf160d5f0ac7d796e5.JPG

This puts them far enough into the room to be a real annoyance.  Were I to find that this position opened a doorway to some sort of sonic nirvana then I could live with it, but if not then they would be going straight back to their previous corner possies.  After moving them about I decided to test run my Densen gear as I had put it up for sale and received a few PMs asking some questions about it.  I came to the conclusion that the speaker position above did indeed help the vocal sound stage but it only offered minimal improvements on instruments and then only on some songs.  I reached a similar conclusion with the Technical Brain, just before I put the Densen gear into use.

Then I decided that I might just put a Sansui back into action.  Why not?  It was, after all, a rainy Sunday and it didn't look like the rain was going to let up any time soon.  So, out comes the 907 NRA.  

I'm only going to give the new speaker position a little of the credit here, as I believe that 90% of the improvement I'm hearing over the NRA's previous performances is due to the use of the balanced outputs on the cd917 and the balanced inputs (of course) on the NRA.  And the improvement is not a small one.

The NRA rocks far harder with an extra 6db of gain, so very, very, very much harder.:)  

Only one thing could improve this afternoon, and I have several of those 'things' in the fridge, so this afternoon is looking good.

Sansui Forever!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Big news about Sansuis this last week guys.  News to me at any rate, two snippets of news actually. 

Not news to many others I imagine but bound to be news to a few so I'll address them both here.

I didn't realize that all the Sansui Alpha series amps are bridged designs.  So both the red and black speaker terminals are "hot".  I discovered this reading a thread over on Audiokarma.  This blew my mind some as bridged designs have some traditional issues, stability being one and enhanced distortion being another and yet neither of those seem to be personality traits of the Alpha series (or at least if they are then no one is talking about them).  If any techies would like to speculate on those topics please do, I'm not electronically knowledgeable enough to attempt it myself.

The second stems from the first and my misunderstanding of how the Sansui Alpha Integrated power amp sections are set up.  Having looked inside many 907 Alphas by now I was aware that each and every 907 up to the MR used 8 transistors per side, but the 907NRA uses only 4.  These are the same transistors as used in the B-2302 power amp and were specially made for Sansui.  I assumed that all the other NRA models used the same transistors, but they do not.  So I'm left wondering just how similar the NRA models sound to the 907.  

Well, like I said, they were big news to me.  To others maybe not so much.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, huxmut said:

Are they bridged and floating as in BTL ?

That would mean they need four amplifier sections ???

I believe so.

Yep, and they have them.  Two sections on each board.

au-alpha907i(4).JPG.fe31bbd85918be1c2588f70d69c45800.JPG

This is a pic from the 907i info sheet.  Draw a line down the middle and tell me if it looks like two separate sections.

Hopefully @skippy124   or @PeteMac  can help out with a little tech-head info :)

Seems this is a part of the diamond differential circuit design

https://audio-database.com/SANSUI/amp/au-alpha907dr-e.html

Furthermore, by + and - side having 4 amplifier stream compositions which had exclusive amplifier, respectively, a forcible sound is gained by the low distortion for the push pull scheme which + and - side drives from bothways on the same requirements.

Edited by huxmut
  • 2 weeks later...

So the non L Extra remains a mystery ?

Maybe it's a prototype/pre-production run that was used for testing or something along those lines

And the "L" was added between that and the final signoff for production to comence

???

10 minutes ago, huxmut said:

A "special" for an executive perhaps ?

Where's that petemac page with the info ?

:)

Maybe, or a unit built for advertising and promotional purposes.  If it was built to look pretty then that could explain the colourful heat sinks.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Maybe, or a unit built for advertising and promotional purposes.  If it was built to look pretty then that could explain the colourful heat sinks.

Did you see the write up on AK from member smurfer77?

My ex-sansui contact says that they and their immediate contacts don't recall a 907 Extra and was very interesting for them to see Cafad actually has one. It doesn't appear to be documented on japanese sites.

The "L", in the case of x07 series, may likely have indicated LAPT according to my source.

And while he or his own contacts couldn't (yet) dig up info on the 907 Extra, they thought it likely to be a small production run (maybe 1000) due to LAPT transistor production not meeting the schedule (with the idea being to get some 907 Extras out and then abandon that when the LAPT production caught up and move over to the 907L Extra).

Well, this theory will soon be either debunked or partly validated when Cafad's amp has a service and the output transistors are inspected.

The intriguing part is that Cafad's amp doesn't have a serial number and if it never had one it is still possible that it was a prototype (however, my contact speculates that is less likely than a small production run, although it's still possible an employee took one home). Cafad's amp also has some other interesting features, such as copper looking, instead of usual black heat sinks. This all makes it look a bit 'prototype', but I do note I have now seen several alphas on japanese auction sites with copper looking (to varying degree) heatsinks; it appears that certain black treatment they used (perhaps not on all alphas) can actually come off when the heat sinks run too hot.

• Like 1

Yep, Smurfer and I have been chatting via PM.  I hope his contacts can find out more.

I'm a bit disappointed (if that is the word) that the 907 EXTRA didn't require much work when it went to Andy's as all it needed was a switch clean so there was no need to disassemble it.  Which means that we don't know the identity of the transistors. 

I'll probably have to pull it apart myself in order to identify them. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Cafad said:

Yep, Smurfer and I have been chatting via PM.  I hope his contacts can find out more.

I'm a bit disappointed (if that is the word) that the 907 EXTRA didn't require much work when it went to Andy's as all it needed was a switch clean so there was no need to disassemble it.  Which means that we don't know the identity of the transistors. 

I'll probably have to pull it apart myself in order to identify them. 

You might be able to get a good look at them by removing the bottom panel of the amp. :)

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, huxmut said:

"Disappointed" is not the word :)

True.

Hmmmm, if I unscrew that copper clamping plate will I be able to put it back on without needing to re-apply any heat transfer compound?  

IMG_0803.thumb.JPG.068f57bdfc8300b45c3c6bbf573d8f4a.JPGIMG_0804.thumb.JPG.bdecedb428ce2897df201c43e2ca42be.JPGIMG_0805.thumb.JPG.12ae1ef5519e3ef585269746be156122.JPG

Because if so then I really shouldn't try until I'm properly prepared and equipped.

(Love all that orange metal, doesn't it look good?)

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 1

Be super careful Cafad.

If that is copper screws into copper heatsink then those screws might be close to impossible to remove without destroying them.

Fingers crossed they have a lubricant on them and will be fairly easy to loosen off.

Just thinking and posting without much consideration....

Are there any physical difference or electrical characteristics that could be checked and or measured to show a difference in those transistors ?

Edited by huxmut
1 hour ago, huxmut said:

Be super careful Cafad.

If that is copper screws into copper heatsink then those screws might be close to impossible to remove without destroying them.

Fingers crossed they have a lubricant on them and will be fairly easy to loosen off.

I think I'll be holding off until I get some advice from an expert.  I'm not a fan of trusting to luck.

• Like 1

I wonder, what is the next Sansui for this thread 🤡

hehehe, I'm excited for you @Cafad.

Snapper()'s comments aren't the only positive ones I've read on the www for the dark horse.

And to think a DAC and a Remote ....

Me too mate, me too.

Technically I don't have the remote yet, I have a remote but I'm not sure it will work.  However it is a big internet out there so there is always hope of finding an original remote.  If not, a Harmony may just find its way onto my shopping list.

• Like 1

I have a spare (Minty Condition) Logitech 650 that told me it likes Sansui's

Yours if you want ? Let me know.

Hahaha, just went and dug it up. Still has the plastic protector strips on it :)

Edited by huxmut
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, huxmut said:

More hints required ?

Cafad hopes it is Delightfully Good ;)

I always thought those initials stood for Dangerous Goods.

• Like 1

Yep, a definite rarity.  A 120/220/240 volt Sansui with both a built in DAC and a remote volume control.  I'm planning on doing a little DAC A/B-ing this evening, just for the heck of it.

The current remote that I have for the 917XR cd player doesn't work with it, but there seems to be an original remote on Yahoo so we'll see what we can see in the days to come.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 1