Cafad

Sansui Alpha Series Amplifier Reviews

I am not even slightly surprised they worked superbly. I have a pair also and I also will never, ever sell my pair,so I reckon your wife has great taste and judgement.
I also once had an Alpha 907 and this worked gloriously in my room,with the PM1s which are quite possibly the most under rated speaker around. Simply put ,the better the amplifier, the better the sound and frankly I really don't understand why they were discontinued,but am am certainly chuffed I managed to get a pair,with the dedicated stands,which makes an enormous difference.
Hopefully you have these also

Cheers
Unfortunately no dedicated stands.
Ive always wanted a pair of these pm1s but found them elusive.
Comparing them to 805d2s i find them more fun. Very lively and offers a very wide sound field. There was a time Jeff and i looked behind us thinking something was rustling...it was the speakers projection
If i had to compare to the 805d3s which ive also owned.. I would say the D3s excell in the midrange and you can drive them so much harder. But.....love these little things immensely
Our wives judgement should never be ignored!

11 minutes ago, slawrence436 said:

Unfortunately no dedicated stands.
Ive always wanted a pair of these pm1s but found them elusive.
Comparing them to 805d2s i find them more fun. Very lively and offers a very wide sound field. There was a time Jeff and i looked behind us thinking something was rustling...it was the speakers projection
If i had to compare to the 805d3s which ive also owned.. I would say the D3s excell in the midrange and you can drive them so much harder. But.....love these little things immensely
Our wives judgement should never be ignored!

A very good summary and kudos to your wife ( and mine also ). She loves the almost as much as I do. The reason you found them elusive is that the vast majority of owners just don't wish to sell them.

If you possibly can, beg,borrow or steal some dedicated stands, if you think they are great now just wait till you get them on their stands. All their great qualities are enhanced and multiplied by an order of magnitude. I was sceptical at first when I placed my order for them and complained about the price but honestly, they are worth every cent

Edited by rantan

A very good summary and kudos to your wife ( and mine also ). She loves the almost as much as I do.

if you possibly can .beg,borrow or steal some dedicatted stands, if you think they are great now just wait till you get them on their stands. All their great qualities are enhanced and multiplied by an order of magnitude. I was sceptical at first when I placed my order for them and complained about the price but honestly, they are worth every cent
Find me a pair ... .. Please

1 minute ago, slawrence436 said:
2 minutes ago, rantan said:

A very good summary and kudos to your wife ( and mine also ). She loves the almost as much as I do.

if you possibly can .beg,borrow or steal some dedicatted stands, if you think they are great now just wait till you get them on their stands. All their great qualities are enhanced and multiplied by an order of magnitude. I was sceptical at first when I placed my order for them and complained about the price but honestly, they are worth every cent

Read more  

Find me a pair ... .. Please

I shall keep a sharp eye open and let you know immediately If I see any for sale

I shall keep a sharp eye open and let you know immediately If I see any for sale
Thanks mate.. I have a suspicion they are unobtainable ...
I have to add... sorry for showing Cafads midlife crisis.. Sorry mate

It's alright mate, that's my other, non-audio, midlife crisis.:)

I did like those little PM1s in the mids.  I'm afraid they aren't linear enough for my needs in the top and bottom end but for more mid range centric music they are very, very good.

Hey have you thought of trying out one of Perreaux's Audiant 80i amps on those little PM1s?  That amp has an awesome mid range as well, and a built in DAC.  That combination would have to have a fair level of WAF approval.

2 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Hey have you thought of trying out one of Perreaux's Audiant 80i amps on those little PM1s?  That amp has an awesome mid range as well, and a built in DAC.  That combination would have to have a fair level of WAF approval.

Nice!!

At $3500 she'll love that :cool:

On 11/18/2017 at 9:00 PM, Cafad said:
It's alright mate, that's my other, non-audio, midlife crisis.

I did like those little PM1s in the mids.  I'm afraid they aren't linear enough for my needs in the top and bottom end but for more mid range centric music they are very, very good.

Are you offering to bring it down for an audition

Edited by slawrence436
spelling

I'm afraid I can't offer a demo on that one, I moved my Audiant on long ago, it is just an idea for you to mull over.  

Thank you Cafad for all the reviews and information about Sansui integrated amps the alphas. I am just starting my set up and bought a Sansui au alpha 607i and it sounds very good. I'm planning to get from a dealer here in the Philippines a Sansui au alpha 907i mos limited or alpha 907l extra or alpha 907 nra for an upgrade thank you again 

44 minutes ago, Dondoy Pastor said:

Thank you Cafad for all the reviews and information about Sansui integrated amps the alphas. I am just starting my set up and bought a Sansui au alpha 607i and it sounds very good. I'm planning to get from a dealer here in the Philippines a Sansui au alpha 907i mos limited or alpha 907l extra or alpha 907 nra for an upgrade thank you again 

I'm glad you found my efforts useful DP.  I haven't really begun the serious work yet, everything so far is really just preliminary listening, the real results won't be showing up until later in the year.  I have a few other amps to get through before I can focus on the Sansuis I've collected.

I've recently discovered that the volume pots on Sansui Integrated amps are actually 3 stage pots.  I don't know how many people are aware of this but I thought since I was not I might just let all those others out there who were ignorant of this know what it is that I have "discovered".

On the 907 integrated amps the volume control actually gets two bites at the input signal.

I posted this on Audiokama in the Sansui section asking a question about it so I'm re-posting the picture here as part of an explanation that came from that question (it was answered by Skippy so I felt a bit foolish about it, next time I'll just PM him or Pete_mac direct and save some time).

au-alpha907nra(3).JPG.79d340e65e02daa7db7e3b9a2d23760f.JPG

This is a picture that was included in the info sheet on the Alpha 907 NRA.

As you can see in the line drawing the volume control is wired into the circuit prior to the line amp section (which I believe to be the preamp section) and again prior to the signal arriving at the power amp section. 

So this means that if I use the cd input (third from the top) then the input signal will flow through the selector, past the processor loop, past the subsonic filter, balance and loudness controls, hit the volume control and then travel on to the line amp and maybe through the tone controls (not on my watch it wouldn't as I hold no truck with tone controls, but it could, in theory, if the situation required it) before flowing through another selector and then hit the second stage of the volume control.

However if I were to use the cd direct input the signal would bypass most of the above and only have to travel through the final selector and through the volume control and on to the power amp section.

So the Sansui Integrated amps actually have two preamp choices, an active one and a passive one.  This was news to me, an  I've done a fair bit of reading of other forums on Sansuis and in all that reading I haven't seen anything about this mentioned so I'm assuming it will be news to at least some others out there in internet land.

So, two preamp options, or two amps in one if you prefer.  But, and this is the important bit, which option sounds the best.  I had to know, so I hauled out the 907 NRA again and performed a quick listening test this evening.  I much prefer the active pre, it offers more breath to the vocals, more definition to the instruments and more presence to the bass so if any powered instruments or hard and/or fast drums are involved then the active pre is definitely going to be my choice.  On slower music the passive option is pretty good, but it loses out a bit on tracks with hard sung vocals, on the slow and soft stuff it works really well.  Personally though, I'm going to use the active from here on out.

Hang on, just thought of something, that passive performance is going to be very much dependent on the output impedance of the source so I may have to repeat this test with a source that is better suited to a passive pre.  I guess the obvious choice would be the Sansui Alpha cd 917XR. 

A good job for tomorrow evening I think.

Edited by Cafad

22 hours ago, Cafad said:

I posted this on Audiokama in the Sansui section asking a question about it so I'm re-posting the picture here as part of an explanation that came from that question (it was answered by Skippy so I felt a bit foolish about it, next time I'll just PM him or Pete_mac direct and save some time).

Oh ye of little faith...

3 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

Oh ye of little faith...

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time.