Cafad

Sansui Alpha Series Amplifier Reviews

Posted (edited)

It seems all the Extra needed was a few switches cleaned.  Both the Extras are now back home and sounding much healthier than they were previously.

IMG_0759.thumb.JPG.3d72a98e2c44e9b54ed8168745d94888.JPG

The L Extra no longer has a recessed sound stage and the mids aren't as soft as they were although the bass is still a bit on the soft side.  The Extra sounds very much like the 907i but a little cleaner in the top end and maybe a slightly lower noise floor.  So yes, the Sansui that shouldn't exist sounds very Sansui-like.

Also, and this is completely irrelevant to the sound side of things, the Extra seems to have been polished in recent memory as it isn't just a beautiful black face plate but a shiny and clean beautiful black face plate.  There are a few dings on the left top and left front edge but it's still a pretty face. Pictures just don't do it justice.

No progress on finding any info on it guys?  Time is marching on and my reward offer expires at the end of the month.

Edited by Cafad

57 minutes ago, Cafad said:

No progress on finding any info on it guys?  Time is marching on and my reward offer expires at the end of the month.

It's taking me longer than I thought to doctor the necessary info and photos, host it somewhere on the web, and wait for the google sniffers to catalogue it.

Once this happens... huzzah!

On 06/08/2018 at 10:19 AM, pete_mac said:

It's taking me longer than I thought to doctor the necessary info and photos, host it somewhere on the web, and wait for the google sniffers to catalogue it.

Once this happens... huzzah!

That's a very cunning plan you have there Pete.  You've obviously put some serious thought into this.

4 minutes ago, Cafad said:

That's a very cunning plan you have there Pete.  You've obviously put some serious thought into this.

Desperate times call for desperate measures!!

Got word back from Andy today, he found nothing wrong with the MR (although he did clean all the switches and pots while he was looking, so that's a good thing) so I am forced to conclude that it is actually meant to sound a little more on the "harder and more detailed" side of the street.  Closer to the sound of the new Sony TA-A1ES (although not so close as to make it difficult to listen to, like the Sony was, I'm still disappointed about that) than the other Sansuis.

Now all I need is a switch clean for the 907i and a power button check for the KX and they'll be ready to move on to their next owners.  Oh, and I have to wait for midnight on the 31st to pass us by, just in case.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sloper
      Goodaye all

last weekend we had a bit of a vintage shootout, this was brought on by demonstrating my Kef Concerto's to a potential buyer.

Anyway the Amps.
      Sansui Au101, daily family room listener, been capped and modded.
      Sansui AU505, just finished capping and mods.
      Sansui AU505, my study amp, capped and modded a little differently, bit more base.
      Marantz 2240, just serviced.

Speakers
      Marantz 920's restored
      Linerar Design K2400 recapped
      Kef Concerto's recapped.
      TDL RTL3 little unfair on these as they have a mismatched tweeter and the crossovers need capping.

l have the ability to switch amps instantly for the connected speakers from my Ol dac.

First up the Concerto's were connected to the Au505 and Marantz.
      Well the Concerto's came alive on the AU505 the base was clearer and tighter sounded great.
      Had to take a little base off.
      Then l switched to the Marantz, amazing sounded even better, just left it as it was.
      l had only used the Concerto's on a AU101 and the base was ho hum.
      Reconnected the 920's these are my favourite sounding speakers, l like them useing the AU505 amp but l can switch to the Marantz.

So at this stage the Concerto's were no longer for sale.

Then off to the family room.
      The Concerto's and TDL's connected to the Sansui AU101 sounded ok but the base was ho hum.
      The Linear design's sound great.

The Sansui AU101 got kicked out and the new Au505 in its place.
      On the Linear Design speakers it sounded the same, may a little better on the base.
      Dragged out the Concerto's, base was tight and clean mid and hi's were perfect.
      l knew it was right when the wife says these sound better.
      So off to Fantastic furniture for some cheap side tables to bring the Concerto's to listening height.
      These also switch to the surround sound amp and you can hear a improvement in that too.

Left the TDL's out for now as there is replacement tweeters on there way and new caps going in.
      The 920's stay in the study l dont want the heathens using them.

As for the Concerto's there staying and may get a black vinyl wrap as the brown looks dreary.
      Linear designs go to mums for storage ( 2 cars there already)
      Sansui AU101 goes up for sale.

So in daily duty we have 3 AU505's 2 with TU505 tuners a Marantz 2040, Marantz 920 speakers, 4 TDL Compact speakers, Kef Concerto's.
      Sounds great to me and thats the important thing.

regards Bruce

• By brenwa76
      Item: Sansui AU-5500
      Price: $325
      Item Condition: Good with signs of wear.
      Reason for selling: NLR 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal + 2.6%, EFT
      Extra Info: Lovely sounding vintage beast that seems to punch well beyond its rated power output of 38WPC. Works well, has been cleaned internally, some signs of surface corrosion around the RCA terminals. Has been used at least weekly for the last two years as a pre-amplifier with the SR Valve Amplifier also for sale.
      Prefer local pick up, but happy to pack it up carefully for shipping if required.
      Cheers

Pictures:

• By Cafad
      I've been searching the net for info on Sansui speakers (real ones, not fake badged ones) to go with my Sansui amplifiers.  I have heard (many times now) that while Sansui amps are widely acknowledged as being very well engineered and built their speakers are widely regarded as not particularly special.  I figured that there must be a few models that were worth searching for though so I did.
      It looks to me like there was a push from Sansui in between 1987 and 1990 to design and sell some bookshelf speakers that were a bit more interestingly designed than most.
      Info in links below.
      http://audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/speaker/sp-100i.html
      http://audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/speaker/sp-300s.html
      http://audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/speaker/sp-1010.html
      http://audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/speaker/sp-alpha2000.html

So I set out to find one of these above, or something very close to them. And I did, find one of them that is.

Pics (because no one reads these posts for the words) below have been copied from the auction listing.

Now I don't really expect these SP300S speakers to beat my Lenehans or anything but I am certainly hoping that I will enjoy listening to them.  (and I do love the idea of having an "All Sansui System" 💕 )
      I do have one concern however, the auction listing did not mention including the speaker cables so I am currently planning on using them with a separate cable running from the ground back to the negative input on the amp.  If anyone has a better idea please let me know.  I could always get a custom set of cables made if needed but I'll hold off on that until I know if it's necessary.

Beyond that, if you've got some Sansui speakers post a pic or two below, because there just aren't enough pics of Sansui speakers on the net as it is.

With a call out to some of the well known Sansui SNA fans, @pete_mac, @skippy124, @BLAH BLAH, @Sansui77  Got any speaker pics guys?
    • By skippy124
      Item: SANSUI G-4700 VINTAGE STEREO RECEIVER
      Price: $325
      Item Condition: VERY GOOD CONDITION - HAS BEEN SERVICED 
      Reason for selling: SURPLUS TO NEEDS - DOWNSIZING
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Up for sale is a Sansui G-4700 Pure Power DC Stereo Receiver in very good condition. It has been recently serviced and is operating perfectly. The tuner section works very well an includes a digital display of frequency, tuning, signal strength and AM/FM indication. It also features a quartz digital lock to ensure that the station tuning does not drift. The amplifier section is rated at 50W per channel, both channels driven and features LED peak power meters (brief specs are can be found at the bottom of the description). There are Aux and Phono inputs was well as tape playback and recording inputs/outputs. The overall physical condition is very good, with some marks/blemishes commensurate with age/use - see photos. Note that the tuning indicator has been replaced, there is a small mark on the front panel neat the Power/speaker select switch, there is some of the chrome finish missing on the left hand side of the front panel (not visible from the front), and some minor chips on the wood finish on the left had side bottom edge of the wood cover - all of these minor cosmetic issues are shown in the photos below.

This receiver is capable of powering bookshelf to floorstanding speakers, and sounds great on any inputs - CD(AUX), Phono, and via the radio on AM/FM. 

Local Pick up preferred at this stage.

Auditions welcomed (and recommended)

Specifications
      Tuning range: FM, MW
      Power output: 50 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
      Frequency response: 10Hz to 70kHz
      Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%
      Damping factor: 30
      Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)
      Signal to noise ratio: 76dB (MM), 95dB (line)
      Channel separation: 50dB (MM), 50dB (line)
      Output: 150mV (line)
      Speaker load impedance: 8Ω (minimum)
      Dimensions: 433 x 155 x 355mm
      Weight: 8.6kg

Pictures:

• By Audionutz
      Item: Shunyata Anaconda Alpha 2m Power Cable - AUS Clipsal Mains Plug, with US 3 pin AC to IEC (C15) Adapter
      Price: $1165.00 neg
      Item Condition: Very good - a few wear marks as seen.
      Reason for selling: Not using
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal buyer pays fees, COD Only
      Extra Info:

RRP$4000 +

(See my other listing for the "VX" Version)

The Alpha cables are generally used for analogue sources and the Vx for digital sources. The Vx cords contain Shunyata's proprietary FeSi 1000 Noise Reduction Compound and were $100 more expensive at retail. Notwithstanding this these cables can be used wherever your preferences lie. The Alpha power cords use Shunyata's well-known complex hand weaved Helix geometry.

The ultimate in high end performance!
      Do you own an exceptional piece of audio equipment? It deserves to be fed by an Anaconda power cord. Why? Because an Anaconda will improve the sonic performance of even the highest grade components by giving them access to virtually limitless and exceptionally clean AC power. Effortless dynamic range, stunning transparency and exceptional purity of tone, the Anaconda is unlike any power cord on the market. An enormous 8 Ga cable, Anaconda uses 13 ultra-high purity copper conductors hand-braided into the patented Helix geometry and terminated with proprietary Venom AC plugs; a combination which yields a cable lightweight and flexible enough to be wrapped around your arm, yet powerful enough to be used on even the most demanding high-current amplifiers!
      “Adding [Anacondas] to an already high-performance system may well prove to be a more cost-effective sonic upgrade than replacing components.” –Paul Bolin, Stereophile August 2004
      Specifications
      Patented 6x6 Helix geometry
      Hand-Braided
      13 conductors with an 8 gauge aggregate
      Cryogenic CDA-101 pure copper
      Shunyata Venom AC & IEC (Silver plated, cryogenically treated)
      Flexible 1.0" diameter

Pictures: