Cafad

Sansui Alpha Series Amplifier Reviews

I was just about to box up the 907 Alpha before sending it off to its new owner down south and I realized I wasn't certain if I'd taken a few 'lid lifted' pics (and if I had, had I taken enough?) so I gave in to temptation and here we are, nude Sansui pics for everyone to drool over.

Whoever it was that did the service and recap on this amp has done a great job.  Or maybe it has spent most of the last 3 decades vacuum sealed, either way it is in beautiful condition.  Not a single sign of any oxidation on any of the input plugs, you usually see something even if only a minor pit.  Even the balanced inputs appear as new.  The speaker binding posts still feel smooth and slippery so they could be new, or just incredibly well preserved, I really don't know.

IMG_0854.thumb.JPG.61d958ee775a1839934b0e32e48e8f93.JPGIMG_0855.thumb.JPG.5313be6d7ad4da3be472f592f5732369.JPG

And the rear plate is so clean and unscratched.

IMG_0852.thumb.JPG.39a81a6d5ac469e5015a5c793ffcf86d.JPG

Fifth foot present and accounted for.

IMG_0853.thumb.JPG.ef340f041343449a49cec9ddfb5f128c.JPG

Has someone polished those feet, or are they brand new?  Either way they look awesome.

IMG_0858.thumb.JPG.f208e81187143bd60ade04edcb007a19.JPG

IMG_0851.thumb.JPG.260d206901b8e38e31ae4c5e802519a6.JPG

I don't think any expense was spared here.  Nichicon fine gold caps throughout.

IMG_0849.thumb.JPG.c829cc10c265febb81961745d38af78c.JPG

The lid has a few light scuff marks on it, but underneath it is beautiful enough to bring a tear to the eye of even a Pioneer enthusiast.

I think it'll give that Plinius of yours a bit of a scare Blake.

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

And last but not least.

IMG_0860.thumb.JPG.dc5d0ebe6483667ab728dc22ef7b2f74.JPG

Those metal side cheeks come with tar paper inside them.  Acoustic treatment taken to a seriously high level.

IMG_0861.thumb.JPG.15a8fcc5673a149b4333c1a161c6dcfe.JPG

And pieces of rubber to reduce case and chassis vibration.  I love it.

Edited by Cafad
More pics, you can never have too many pics.

That's one seriously "near new condition" 907 ...

Remind me again why you're getting rid of these ?

😛

1 hour ago, huxmut said:

That's one seriously "near new condition" 907 ...

Remind me again why you're getting rid of these ?

😛

What are you saying?  It's only 31, it's in its prime!

Originally I planned to keep this one, for reasons that I think should be glaringly obvious, but then that 907 EXTRA without-the-L showed up and I decided to keep that instead.  It's heightened level of mystery intrigued me.

Arr yes. The Extra.

Extra mystery goodness. ummmmm.

Did you ever find out any more info in the other thread ? (AK?)

8 minutes ago, huxmut said:

Arr yes. The Extra.

Extra mystery goodness. ummmmm.

Did you ever find out any more info in the other thread ? (AK?)

Nothing concrete. 

At the moment we are split between a limited number production run prior to the 907 L Extra or a prototype unit.  I'm thinking prototype due to the lack of a serial number sticker but it is always possible that the serial number sticker is actually under that other sticker. 

Smurfer has a contact in Japan who is asking around so I'm hoping we find out more at some point, I'd love to know the full story.

My money is on it being a proto that made it out to a hifi show or similar trade/dealer event, and it somehow traded hands from there and has been locked away for safe keeping for a number of those years.

If only it could talk .....

On 02/12/2018 at 1:29 PM, Cafad said:

I was just about to box up the 907 Alpha before sending it off to its new owner down south and I realized I wasn't certain if I'd taken a few 'lid lifted' pics (and if I had, had I taken enough?) so I gave in to temptation and here we are, nude Sansui pics for everyone to drool over.

Whoever it was that did the service and recap on this amp has done a great job.  Or maybe it has spent most of the last 3 decades vacuum sealed, either way it is in beautiful condition.  Not a single sign of any oxidation on any of the input plugs, you usually see something even if only a minor pit.  Even the balanced inputs appear as new.  The speaker binding posts still feel smooth and slippery so they could be new, or just incredibly well preserved, I really don't know.

IMG_0854.thumb.JPG.61d958ee775a1839934b0e32e48e8f93.JPGIMG_0855.thumb.JPG.5313be6d7ad4da3be472f592f5732369.JPG

And the rear plate is so clean and unscratched.

IMG_0852.thumb.JPG.39a81a6d5ac469e5015a5c793ffcf86d.JPG

Fifth foot present and accounted for.

IMG_0853.thumb.JPG.ef340f041343449a49cec9ddfb5f128c.JPG

Has someone polished those feet, or are they brand new?  Either way they look awesome.

IMG_0858.thumb.JPG.f208e81187143bd60ade04edcb007a19.JPG

IMG_0851.thumb.JPG.260d206901b8e38e31ae4c5e802519a6.JPG

I don't think any expense was spared here.  Nichicon fine gold caps throughout.

IMG_0849.thumb.JPG.c829cc10c265febb81961745d38af78c.JPG

The lid has a few light scuff marks on it, but underneath it is beautiful enough to bring a tear to the eye of even a Pioneer enthusiast.

I think it'll give that Plinius of yours a bit of a scare Blake.

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

And last but not least.

IMG_0860.thumb.JPG.dc5d0ebe6483667ab728dc22ef7b2f74.JPG

Those metal side cheeks come with tar paper inside them.  Acoustic treatment taken to a seriously high level.

IMG_0861.thumb.JPG.15a8fcc5673a149b4333c1a161c6dcfe.JPG

And pieces of rubber to reduce case and chassis vibration.  I love it.

I showed the Plinius the pics. It's more than a little nervous ;) The 907 looks amazing mate...

I'm thinking the Plinius may move to do Dynaudio duties while the 907 gets paired with the honest, neutral pair of PMC's. Hopefully they will bring out the true sound of Sansui.

Edited by blakey72