Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

That someone can complete the indexes in the series names α907 DR, MR, XR  ...?

- DRD igital R ealistic;

- KX    - ???

- MR   - M aster R ealistic; 

- XR    - etra ealistic -  HRit should be here  Hyper Realistic              - here it is - Hyper alfa Balanced;

- NRA - N atural R ealistic Audio.

Edited by Leoncio
  • Like 1

I wasn't aware that the suffixes actually stood for anything specific, just model designations. 

I have seen DR referred to as "Digital Reference", but it was only once on a single site.

Marks found on Japanese Sansui forum pages, published on Polish "Sansui - my favorite brand." ("Sansui – moja ulubiona marka.")

Edited by Leoncio

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or start a new thread for the Wilson Benesh Discovery stand mounts but since I've already got the Sansui thread I figure I might as well continue.

I received a PM asking about my 607MR unit through the week, and the PM'er has decided to buy it.  OK, that's cool (and a little sad, because it's always sad when a Sansui moves on from my place) so last night I figure I'd better pull the 607 out of my second bedroom/storage room and give it a run to make sure it is fully operational.  

I've been playing with the Wilson Benesh Discovery 1's for a week now, with amplification supplied by the Technical Brain Integrated and I've made some serious progress.  The combo is now very good and may improve even more as I've discovered (sorry, unintentional pun) that the Discoverys need to be placed in the room in a completely different manner to my Lenehans.  They are currently about 2 feet further back towards the back corners than the Lenehans were and they sound so very much better for it.

I was going to continue with moving speakers and listening tests this weekend but I figured I could do that after a test run for the 607MR.  So out it came, and I pulled the step down transformer that will be going with it out of its box and set everything up.  I started off with a random few songs at low level to let it wake up from its long slumber in a controlled manner and then I was just going to run it in the background while I attended to other things.

However before I could get to any of that attending I realised that the tonal match between the 607MR and the Discoveries was damn near perfect.  It simply could not be ignored, so several select songs followed and the combo continued to impress.  The bass is nice and deep, not anywhere near as powerful as the TB of course but never-the-less it is captivating.  The mid range just sounds so good, there's this resonance with acoustic strings that just reverberates in my chest, it's like nothing else I've heard, vocals come across clear and clean and most of all very much in character with the genre of the song being played.  

Antonio Forcione's Acoustic Revenge was just beautifully rendered, not quite as powerfully as I wanted it to be but captivating enough to enjoy greatly anyway.

The guitar work on Baby Animals first album was exactly as good as I needed it to be the combination of all that guitar work and Suzie's vocals just does it for me every time but this time it was even better.

BRMSlash dropped over during all of this and I asked him to choose a song, he picked Cherry Lips by Garbage just to change things up a bit.  It... was... awesome!  By that time the 607MR was well and truly warmed up and ready to rock, punchy electronica inspired alternative rock filled my room.  The combination of  punchy mid range electronic-ish blasts and airy snaps both raised my eyebrows and widened my eyes,   A ton of fun for both of us.

So I'm still running the little MR this morning, just to see what else I can enjoy before I box it up for transport.  And when I do box it up I think I'll have to try another Sansui on these WB speakers, maybe I'm on to something here.

Enjoy the weekend everybody.

IMG_1193.thumb.JPG.5c4900d8a4cdd4726edeadd0ced55fda.JPGIMG_1196.thumb.JPG.3e8551516e1edb1264160a70d647c02c.JPG

• Like 9

great read there mate.  Love seeing the Droplet in use as well.  One of my fav CDPs that I've enjoyed over the years. I couldn't fault mine when I had one.

Enjoy the 'discoveries' today..  I will keep an eye on this thread.

1 hour ago, lemarquis said:

Nice read Jeff. Yes, that Droplet is trying to steal the show...

It is a bit of a glory hog, but what can you do?  It has to be out front or it can't be used, top loaders have always demanded special treatment.

• Like 1

hola cafad muchas gracias por compartir tu conocimiento sobre estas bellezas, estoy interesado en comprar una de las series alfa, especialmente la serie 707, me gustaría saber cuál de estas tres según tu experiencia me recomendarías o cuáles son sus diferencias entre ellos 707, 707i, 707L.
mi presupuesto no es suficiente para la serie 907.
Gracias

Edited by Rodotech
error en palabras

8 hours ago, Rodotech said:

hola cafad muchas gracias por compartir tu conocimiento sobre estas bellezas, estoy interesado en comprar una de las series alfa, especialmente la serie 707, me gustaría saber cuál de estas tres según tu experiencia me recomendarías o cuáles son sus diferencias entre ellos 707, 707i, 707L.
Gracias

A little Google translation magic and we have...

hello cafad thank you very much for sharing your knowledge about these beauties, I am interested in buying one of the alpha series, especially the 707 series, I would like to know which of these three according to your experience would you recommend me or what are their differences between them 707, 707i, 707L. my budget is not enough for the 907 series. Thank you

Hi Mate, great to hear from another future member of the Sansui Alpha Club.

The differences between the 907 units in the first three models of the Alpha series was not very big so I would be putting more weight on the condition of the individual amplifier than on the model designation.  Just pick the 707 that is in the best condition that you can find, provided the price is reasonable. 

Good Luck!

• Like 3

I sort of want to put up a classifieds add but at the same time I sort of don't.  I have mixed feelings about selling Sansui gear, I always feel I should be keeping it in the family, so to speak.

So, if anyone is interested in some Sansui speakers let me know, I don't want to sell them as such but I do want to move them on to other fans before I have to move house in a month or so.

I really want to hang on to the SP-100i stand mounts that I've got, they are a little bumped and knudged and pre-loved (but work just fine) so I've decided to keep them but that still leaves two pairs of Sansui speakers from my rampant Sansui romp that started in 2017.

I have a pair of SP-300S stand mounts.  Good lookers but a bit on the clinical side sound signature wise, combines well with warmer amps.  Sounded extremely good with older gear like the 1000X at our 2019 Sansui GTG.  The smaller speakers in the image below (just don't ask me if they're the top pair or the bottom pair).  I've replaced the caps on the crossovers of these puppies and installed air core inductors in place of the original iron cores.

https://audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/speaker/sp-300s.html

IMG_1030.thumb.JPG.8cb5b779471851c89967ed9585121558.JPG

I've also got a pair of SP-1000 stand mounts from 1989.  These were a limited production speaker, not sure how many were made.  Unfortunately all four cones are cactus, both tweeters are missing their diaphragms as they've either fallen apart or been crushed and both the woofers need new surrounds.  I did intend to keep these and get them fixed up but since I've already got a pair of the very similar SP-100i speakers I figure I might as well offer them to someone else, hopefully a Sansui fan with some speaker fixer-upper type skills.  I do like the stamped leather on the back of each one though, that's classy.  

https://audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/speaker/sp-1000.html

IMG_1205.thumb.JPG.dfe56fffd93ac147999be1fdde663c83.JPGIMG_1206.thumb.JPG.9557401589f987b6fe6b8cc4f135f4de.JPGIMG_1207.thumb.JPG.d5fb5e200201e99be04ba4e63ac2badd.JPG

I also have the original 3 prong speaker cables for the SP-1000s.  I don't have a pair for the SP-300S though.

I'm not really after anything for them, just postage and a few posts showing them in action (and maybe a "SP-1000 Fix Up" thread, enquiring minds will want to know).

Cheers!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2020 at 11:01 PM, Rodotech said:

Gracias

I love my au-x 701. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have one Alpha, AU-A507i with a transformer from 100V to 230V replaced and playing as before.
In other, higher Alpha 907 models, I didn't do it anymore, because now it's easier for me to build or order a suitable autotransformer to convert 230V to 100V and drive several devices with it, such as the Sansui AU-A907XR 100V amplifier and the CD-Alpha 917XR on 100V.

Edited by Leoncio
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Leoncio said:

I have one Alpha, AU-A507i with a transformer from 100V to 230V replaced and playing as before.
In other, higher Alpha 907 models, I didn't do it anymore, because now it's easier for me to build or order a suitable autotransformer to convert 230V to 100V and drive several devices with it, such as the Sansui AU-A907XR 100V amplifier and the CD-Alpha 917XR on 100V.

I thought that would be the case, step down transformers are not that expensive and once you have one you can use it for everything so no need to replace multiple transformers (also, the Sansui fraternity don't usually approve of replacing original parts in Sansuis).

I've got three step down transformers myself, I bought two and one came with an amp.  This works for me as I can run the power/integrated amp from the larger one and the source and/or preamp from the smaller one.  Once I've got my 929 serviced I can run that from the third (or maybe the second plug on the larger step down, we'll see).  I'm hanging out for a good long session with an all Sansui system.

2 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I thought that would be the case, step down transformers are not that expensive and once you have one you can use it for everything so no need to replace multiple transformers (also, the Sansui fraternity don't usually approve of replacing original parts in Sansuis).

I woke up in a cold sweat last night with a racing heartbeat... thankfully I now have an explanation for it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Pensé que ese sería el caso, los transformadores reductores no son tan caros y una vez que tenga uno, puede usarlo para todo, por lo que no es necesario reemplazar múltiples transformadores (además, la fraternidad Sansui no suele aprobar el reemplazo de piezas originales en Sansuis). )

Tengo tres transformadores reductores, compré dos y uno vino con un amplificador. Esto funciona para mí, ya que puedo ejecutar el amplificador de potencia / integrado desde el más grande y la fuente y / o preamplificador desde el más pequeño. Una vez que tengo mi 929 reparado, puedo ejecutarlo desde el tercero (o tal vez el segundo enchufe en el escalón más grande, ya veremos). Estoy pasando un buen rato con un sistema todo Sansui.

From what they understood, you advise is not to modify the original transformer? In my case, 100v to 220v, so only the primary coil of the transformer is modified. What is your opinion? or use an external transformer to reduce from 220v to 100v?