Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

Jeez that's some nice looking Sansui goodness! Had a look online for one to be bought and the price was sobering! So much so I appreciate my 707MR even more now!!!

I sincerely hope it sounds as glorious as it looks! But does it disrupt the current audio chain?!?

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, BLAH BLAH said:

Jeez that's some nice looking Sansui goodness! Had a look online for one to be bought and the price was sobering! So much so I appreciate my 707MR even more now!!!

I sincerely hope it sounds as glorious as it looks! But does it disrupt the current audio chain?!?

Yeah, the 2302 components don't come up for sale very often and when they do they are still twice the price of a 907 Limited or AU-07 Anniversary (and of course you need two of them to make sound).   I had to have a good, long think about it but in the end I decided what the hell, if I'm going to finish my Sansui amp experience then I'm going to go out on a high.

They sound extremely good together, they make me think of a more refined, politer, more subtle and slightly more confident version of the Parasound Halo.

Disrupt the current audio chain?  Not really, there's room in my "Integrated Amps Only" rule for one exception and this just happens to be it.

Edited by Cafad
correction, 2302 not 2303.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great thread, I've just finished reading through it as I'm taking delivery of a 707MR this week, and have been doing lots of reading.

Just a quick question maybe two, does anyone know the max input voltage for the power amp direct inputs?

The specs list the 707MR as having Input sensitivity/impedance 1Vrms / 5kohm (1kHz), I was looking to use the 707MR with an OPPO 105D which has output voltages of 2.1 Vrms for RCA and 4.2 Vrms for XLR @0dbfs.

In an earlier post cafad describes there being two stages to the volume control with a passive volume control in front of the power amplifiers, assuming the 707MR has this feature, it appears to looking at photo's of the volume control for the 707MR, would this volume control attenuate the higher output level from the OPPO down to the required input level?

1 hour ago, Blackrose666 said:

Great thread, I've just finished reading through it as I'm taking delivery of a 707MR this week, and have been doing lots of reading.

Just a quick question maybe two, does anyone know the max input voltage for the power amp direct inputs?

The specs list the 707MR as having Input sensitivity/impedance 1Vrms / 5kohm (1kHz), I was looking to use the 707MR with an OPPO 105D which has output voltages of 2.1 Vrms for RCA and 4.2 Vrms for XLR @0dbfs.

In an earlier post cafad describes there being two stages to the volume control with a passive volume control in front of the power amplifiers, assuming the 707MR has this feature, it appears to looking at photo's of the volume control for the 707MR, would this volume control attenuate the higher output level from the OPPO down to the required input level?

Yep, all Alpha series amps have this feature.  There is no such thing as what we would call a "power amp direct input" or "HT bypass" function on Sansui integrated amps (at least not after about 1986). 

All the Alphas are, if you use the "direct" inputs, a power amp with a passive volume pot in front of it.  

Normal old line level is 2.0 volts so you won't have any trouble with the RCA inputs, I'm not as familiar with the balanced info but I would be very surprised if you had any trouble.  Just start with the volume turned down low and increase to suit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Normal old line level is 2.0 volts so you won't have any trouble with the RCA inputs, I'm not as familiar with the balanced info but I would be very surprised if you had any trouble.  Just start with the volume turned down low and increase to suit.

Thanks Cafad great info and advice, I will do that when I get it going.

1 hour ago, Tommy13 said:

I'm just starting the adventure with Sansui and I'm reading the forum and I'm wondering why  in Japan are such cheap equipment?907MR / XR cost slightly no more than 800-900 USD?

The initial purchase price is only part of the equation... there are other costs including shipping, import duties and GST etc.  The big Alphas are damn heavy amps too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blackrose666 said:

Unfortunately the 707MR got damaged during shipping with the speaker posts pushed in and the PCB bent and cracked, is a shame, is a nice looking amp pictures don't do it justice. 

Ouch!  Just like my 907 DR.

Was it well packed?

I've noticed that some Japanese companies pack gear really well and some just don't.  Zenmarket and HiFiDo pack amps up very well but Kuboten needed to be directed to pack them better.

I hope it's fixable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cafad said:

Ouch!  Just like my 907 DR.

Was it well packed?

I've noticed that some Japanese companies pack gear really well and some just don't.  Zenmarket and HiFiDo pack amps up very well but Kuboten needed to be directed to pack them better.

I hope it's fixable.

It was pretty well packed, it was a unit that was already in oz the seller has been great and very helpful, I may look to import one from Japan so will keep that info in mind thanks.

Not sure if it would be fixable the speaker protection board is pretty badly damaged, if that could be replaced should probably work again.

• 1 month later...

Ok

ive been living with my aux 701 for some months now .  

Short review:

It makes my eye brows raise, and a cracking great smile appear on my face often followed by a chuckle and shake of the head. Fabulous amps these Sansui’s.

Sound:

tight, clear, transparent but still easy presentation.

I was wanting some more detail but not loose that tube feeling when I swapped amps and this has been a home run.

i can honestly say I’ll never sell this amp.

many thanks P Mac aka the guru!

cheers Damo

Edited by DAMO 1147
  • Like 2

Guest Muon N'
On 22/08/2019 at 11:36 PM, Blackrose666 said:

Unfortunately the 707MR got damaged during shipping with the speaker posts pushed in and the PCB bent and cracked, is a shame, is a nice looking amp pictures don't do it justice. 

Can you post a pic of the damage, especially the speaker protection board?

Some members might be able to weigh in with an idea or two. Damaged traces can be jumper-ed with wire and so forth.

Edited by Muon N'

1 hour ago, DAMO 1147 said:

Ok

ive been living with my aux 701 for some months now .  

Short review:

It makes my eye brows raise, and a cracking great smile appear on my face often followed by a chuckle and shake of the head. Fabulous amps these Sansui’s.

Sound:

tight, clear, transparent but still easy presentation.

I was wanting some more detail but not loose that tube feeling when I swapped amps and this has been a home run.

i can honestly say I’ll never sell this amp.

many thanks P Mac aka the guru!

cheers Damo

So glad to hear that Damo.

I can honestly say that yours is probably the finest example of a 701 out there in an electronic sense - fully overhauled, nice caps throughout (including the BHC Slit Foil filter caps) and the upgraded power cord. 

Glad to have shared the Alpha love, and it would be remiss of me not to mention @Cafad who has done more for spreading the Alpha love than anyone else in this country. :)

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 2:33 PM, Muon N' said:

Can you post a pic of the damage, especially the speaker protection board?

Some members might be able to weigh in with an idea or two. Damaged traces can be jumper-ed with wire and so forth.

The amp has been on-sold now, I did message a few companies with the picture and diagram of the PCB from the service manual about getting a replacement PCB made but didn't get a response.

DSC02259.jpg

DSC02254.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was looking at these alpha models a bit more, the direct input have a sensitivity of 1V / 5kohm or 1V / 10kohm depending on model.

Oppo recommends your amp have an input impedance of at least 47kOhm, if I wanted to connect to my Oppo 105D to one of the direct inputs would I need a audio buffer, like the burson buffer or similar, between the Oppo and the amp?

2 hours ago, Blackrose666 said:

I was looking at these alpha models a bit more, the direct input have a sensitivity of 1V / 5kohm or 1V / 10kohm depending on model.

Oppo recommends your amp have an input impedance of at least 47kOhm, if I wanted to connect to my Oppo 105D to one of the direct inputs would I need a audio buffer, like the burson buffer or similar, between the Oppo and the amp?

Quite possibly yes (everything will work just fine without the buffer but it may not sound so good).  But you can always use the standard inputs with the Oppo. 

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My dream integrated amplifier has arrived.

5 days from Japan to Melbourne by express DHL with free shipping. Can't complain about that. 

Here she is. Looks impressive, photos don't do it justice. After a clean, she will be mint. Can't believe it's 25 years old already. Looking forward to have a listen.

Need to pop the hood me thinks.........

IMG_20191230_130657.thumb.jpg.73a7bd400eb62b5d0e96135d08c06162.jpg

IMG_20191230_135202.thumb.jpg.2e1243ed686700777e54bfdd81a52171.jpgIMG_20191230_135020.thumb.jpg.ef92d2e198702941ffe6ba912901ec9a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1