Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

It looks like, according to numbering, it would have similar performance to the TU-317 and AU-317. Tuner performance is not as good - higher stereo noise, not as sensitive, less features. Amp is essentially the AU-217 amp which does not sound nearly as good as the AU-317 and AU-417. The TA-500 is much better on all counts, with performance approaching that of the very musical TU-517 and AU-517.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, maxifiola said:

Do you think that an AU-217 alone is a better option?

The amps here are very expensive. I have not much options... :(

The 217's are a great little amp, i found it slightly better than the 417 in half the size and very similar power. The 317 is the cherry amongst them though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maxifiola said:

I do no have a big room.  30 watts is enough for me. 

@Warren  What are those compromises?

I wouldn't be looking at the watts v your room size as the "that's enough" gauge. some speakers require a lot more juice to make them sing especially at low levels the pairing should be your main consideration 

• Thanks 1

Speaking about the AU-X17 series, I managed to fire up my 717 yesterday with my newly restored Studio 1's. It hasn't been turned on in over a year and geeeeezzz she sounds fat. These amps sound great for what they cost to buy.

IMAG0859.jpg

• Like 1

On 09/09/2018 at 11:55 AM, Snapper() said:

The 217's are a great little amp, i found it slightly better than the 417 in half the size and very similar power. The 317 is the cherry amongst them though. 

I think your AU-417 may have been faulty - the circuit diagram of the AU-317 and AU-417 are very nearly identical. If both are in prime condition, it should be pretty well impossible to tell them apart. And both sound more musical and detailed than the AU-217. I had an AU-317 and an AU-417, back in the day, and could not tell them apart at all. I handed the AU-417 over to the legendary Allen Wright, who did his power supply isolation magic and made some minor changes to the circuit. After that there was no contest - the AU-417 sounded amazing and the AU-317 was very quickly sold off. The Allen Wright-modded AU-417 was the favourite amp in my system for years. I sold it about 10 years ago for much less than its musical value.

Because the AU-317 is low profile and the AU-417 looks like one of the "big" Sansuis of its era, the AU-317 can usually be found for much less - a real bargain. But the AU-517 and above are gorgeous sounding beasts and are a lot more accomplished than the AU-217-to-AU-417 below them.

Beware the aging electrolytic capacitors on all these amps from the late 1970s and early 80s - they can last for decades more... or they can fail slowly or catastrophically at any time.

Much worse though, were millions of caps from the 1990s which were built from faulty plans stolen from Black Gate in Japan, and used in factories in Japan, Taiwan and mainland China. After an indeterminate time, they start to leak. Most of these caps found their way into non-audio electronics such as CRT computer monitors and computer motherboards. But many did end up in audio components. I had a 3-head Nakamichi cassette player which required replacement of 50 capacitors!

• Like 3

I have had both the 217ii and 317 - both in great form and if anything, I found the 217ii more detailed. I preferred the sound of the 317 because it was warmer and had a lovely mid range - but the 217 ii (which has more power than the 217) was great for vinyl , no lack of bass and transparent through both my speaker sets.

• Like 2

Goodaye all

Picked up my latest Sansui addition today.

A AU717 needs a little work.

A recap and removal or glue and any corroded parts due to the glue.

l do need some knobs, willing to swap the extra front for them.

l will move one of my AU505 and TU505 to make room.

regards Bruce

IMG_2323.JPG

Edited by sloper
added pic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, unclemack said:

Got a nice little score this week. All working perfectly so far. (Pardon the cassette deck but that was part of the haul) IMG_0286.jpg

WD UM!

Nice series that one starting with the one you have.

Now go onwards and get the rest of them...

(I did it with an earlier series and it was fun chasing em down)

WD UM!

Nice series that one starting with the one you have.
Now go onwards and get the rest of them...
(I did it with an earlier series and it was fun chasing em down)

Yes. I gave them both a good clean and they’ve come up a treat. Sounding lovely especially for freebies. Question though. Do these tuners have lit tuning dials and Meters? There doesn’t seem to be any lights working. M

Yes. I gave them both a good clean and they’ve come up a treat. Sounding lovely especially for freebies. Question though. Do these tuners have lit tuning dials and Meters? There doesn’t seem to be any lights working. M

Hi Unclemack,

No, the TU-217 never came out with lit tuning dials etc. I believe the 317 and onwards were fitted. You can Mod these to be lit.

Great little combo you have there.

• Like 1

When you get time, take the lids off both and have a look inside and in the tuner   always instructional to have a look under the bonnet of these oldies.

If you still have access to repairers in Bleak City(I know you moved) then send them in for an overhaul.

The glue on the boards are probably ratshi t and who knows what else(well I kinda do but I don't want to bore you... so ask @pete_mac

Edited by Luc
  • Like 1

When you get time, take the lids off both and have a look inside and in the tuner   always instructional to have a look under the bonnet of these oldies.
If you still have access to repairers in Bleak City(I know you moved) then send them in for an overhaul.

The glue on the boards are probably ratshi t and who knows what else(well I kinda do but I don't want to bore you... so ask [mention=108261]pete_mac[/mention]

IMG_0281.jpg

Sansui collection in the US for sale on FB last year. WOW

From the original source;

He had many G-33000's, G-22000's, G9000's, G8000's, BA-5000's, Besides tons of other SS stuff including Turntables. He was no slouch in the Tube department either. He had many AU-111's, Q-3535's, 1000A's, AU-70's, & tons of other Sansui stereo/mono Amps.

21752429_1571336006222506_1641070643574892077_n.jpg

21616081_1571335926222514_7022467123636649847_n.jpg

21751464_1571335969555843_3995652156691159956_n.jpg

21559042_1571335852889188_2108610606057820931_n.jpg

DSC_1476.JPG

DSC_1479.JPG

DSC_1481.JPG

DSC_1483.JPG

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 3

Big news about Sansuis this last week guys.  News to me at any rate, two snippets of news actually. 

Not news to many others I imagine but bound to be news to a few so I'll address them both here.

I didn't realize that all the Sansui Alpha series amps are bridged designs.  So both the red and black speaker terminals are "hot".  I discovered this reading a thread over on Audiokarma.  This blew my mind some as bridged designs have some traditional issues, stability being one and enhanced distortion being another and yet neither of those seem to be personality traits of the Alpha series (or at least if they are then no one is talking about them).  If any techies would like to speculate on those topics please do, I'm not electronically knowledgeable enough to attempt it myself.

The second stems from the first and my misunderstanding of how the Sansui Alpha Integrated power amp sections are set up.  Having looked inside many 907 Alphas by now I was aware that each and every 907 up to the MR used 8 transistors per side, but the 907NRA uses only 4.  These are the same transistors as used in the B-2302 power amp and were specially made for Sansui.  I assumed that all the other NRA models used the same transistors, but they do not.  So I'm left wondering just how similar the NRA models sound to the 907.  

Well, like I said, they were big news to me.  To others maybe not so much.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, huxmut said:

Are they bridged and floating as in BTL ?

That would mean they need four amplifier sections ???

I believe so.

Yep, and they have them.  Two sections on each board.

au-alpha907i(4).JPG.fe31bbd85918be1c2588f70d69c45800.JPG

This is a pic from the 907i info sheet.  Draw a line down the middle and tell me if it looks like two separate sections.

Hopefully @skippy124   or @PeteMac  can help out with a little tech-head info :)

Seems this is a part of the diamond differential circuit design

https://audio-database.com/SANSUI/amp/au-alpha907dr-e.html

Furthermore, by + and - side having 4 amplifier stream compositions which had exclusive amplifier, respectively, a forcible sound is gained by the low distortion for the push pull scheme which + and - side drives from bothways on the same requirements.

Edited by huxmut

• 2 weeks later...

While I dont have that many Sansuis

I do have a special one now ( courtesy @Cafad a million thank yous )

20181007_150914.jpg

Cant wait to introduce her to my NS1000M's ... But for now it is just the Usher S520's. Please excuse the crude setup, it's a temporary arrangement while I get a more permanent space sorted out for this beast ....

• Like 6

So the non L Extra remains a mystery ?

Maybe it's a prototype/pre-production run that was used for testing or something along those lines

And the "L" was added between that and the final signoff for production to comence

???

10 minutes ago, huxmut said:

A "special" for an executive perhaps ?

Where's that petemac page with the info ?

:)

Maybe, or a unit built for advertising and promotional purposes.  If it was built to look pretty then that could explain the colourful heat sinks.

• Like 1