SGR Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Sensational.

So are these speakers available to buy by request? And is $30k the price? or is that something you thought would be a reasonable price Norpus?

[/b]

Yes I believe they are available to be built on commission

SGR's main technology is active amplifiers for speakers, Stuarts forte. But you cannot demonstrate the technology without a vehicle. Harry can only handbuild a limited number of these vehicles, whilst SGR looks for other larger avenues to up the volume and grow the market niche.

As Harry puts it, Stuart has the tasty 'filling' to go in the sandwich. Without it, the filling cannot be bought in a form that is palletable (sic)

Harry has built a number of prototypes over the last year or so, and has now converted them to active technology. To kickstart Stuarts cashflow, he will be offering up for sale a number of 2ch and HT speaker sets. These are all beautifully finished (in Harry's two pot automotive quality finishes) and each driver actively crossed over and amplified with SGR amps.

Just add a Sonos and stir!

You'd have the latest and simplest future hifi system available today

Wouldn't mind lending an ear to these when I'm in Melbourne in a month or so, and discussing what can be done with the SGR active way of doing things.

Active systems are clearly one of the new ways forward in domestic situations and imo it is fantastic that SGR has such expertise right here in Oz. Very cool.

Wouldn't mind lending an ear to these when I'm in Melbourne in a month or so, and discussing what can be done with the SGR active way of doing things.

Active systems are clearly one of the new ways forward in domestic situations and imo it is fantastic that SGR has such expertise right here in Oz. Very cool.

[/b]

Hi Critter

Suggest you pm sgr and work out a mutual time

Norpus, very glad that you enjoyed yourself and thanks again for your kind words!

Apologies to all for not coming back quicker with answers, it’s been hard to find time lately, very fortunate to have had Norpus doing such a good job answering questions already, thanks Ken! Here’s a few more though…

The mid range drivers look the similar (if not the same) as the focals used in the Osborn speakers? What tweeter and bass drivers do they use?

Yes, the yellow mid range drivers shown in some of the images are Focals. A client recently requested these drivers to be used, but this was a once off custom set. We use specially matched PHL drivers in our reference pair and plan to use these in the future.

How stable is that top platform? I would worry about it bouncing around when those two subs drivers start kicking along??????

The top MTM section sits on a suspension platform which we have actually hidden by insetting it into the top of the bass enclosure. This effectively isolates the vibrations from the bass cabinet. There is definitely no bouncing around. Even when pushing the bass drivers with a few hundred watts the transference to the top enclosure is barely measurable.

I think Harry was working on a custom bass driver, quite likely this new model has it.

Yes, we had the driver custom designed. It actually took 2 1/2 years to perfect, but it was worth the wait. Looking forward now to our new range of sub-drivers to be completed.

Why didn't Harry/Stuart plug the plate amp on the woofer unit to the mains?

Well spotted Keith, there is normally a short power cable from the bass section up to the MTM plate amp but at the time of this photo we had each amp hooked up with individual power cables going back to a mains power conditioner that we were testing out.

Thanks again for all your support guys… All welcome to come have a listen, feel free to PM me.

-Stuart.

Thanks for the feedback Norpus. It sounds like you would be more than happy with a pair of these in your setup. :biggrin:

[/b]

Yes Spearmint it certainly sounds that way. They would look great and almost melt away nicely into the black curtain background at Chez Norpus. Great review Norpus- felt the passion. Congrats Harry and Stuart.

Best

JA

Good onya Norps! Why didn't you say the lot is worth $5K instead :biggrin:

Now these guys are gonna charge moon money. :wink:

[/b]

Hehe, unfortunately that wouldn't work Joz

We discussed what they'd be charging in the US for these if they were on the market there - it would be at least double that ie 60K. They'd be lining up against the big Focals in presence yet are uniquely different from anything else I have seen. The baffling of the MTM is unique in shape and size, hence they would likely image better than my personalfavourites the 60K Nova Utopias - better looking than those citroens as well :(

Speaking of baffles, they had a few cabinets there awaiting drivers and amps. The front baffle measured 60mm on the Octagons and on the 10" Octagonal subs (seperate product) it was over 75mm. I can't wait to hear those when the new sub drivers surface -they'll have waf as well as big xmax punch. The internals are all lined by Ann with lead/felt, every surface. There s a lot of attention to perfecting the detail in a handbuilt speaker. This is what Harry brings to the mix - his 'sandwiches' are gourmet :P

Thanks for the feedback Norpus. It sounds like you would be more than happy with a pair of these in your setup. :biggrin:

I take these were measured and tuned for the current listening environment?

[/b]

Yes I have already asked Harry yesterday I wanted to get a pair in my room to fully evaluate vs the 802d. Once he gets some more drivers/amps he'll be able to, but cannot let this one pair go yet as it is his reference for visitors to hear

I'm not sure what measuring equipment/protocol Stuart uses, but it is programmed in DOS at the amp via laptop I guess. I think the optimisation is not for the room but for the matched speaker sets to give a flat response across the spectrum. This is why it took so long I guess.

I should let Stuart answer these questions as I really do not know

Guest alebonau

good to hear harry has got these speakers setup for 2ch plus with some 2ch gear to feed them.

what are peoples thoughts on the looks of the SGRs ?

I think theyre quite out there, certainly unconventional, like nothing out there on the market. I suppose looks are a personal think but I couldnt see a pair of these in my lounge room. not that would be anything I could afford anyways by the looks of the prices.

Yes I have already asked Harry yesterday I wanted to get a pair in my room to fully evaluate vs the 802d. Once he gets some more drivers/amps he'll be able to, but cannot let this one pair go yet as it is his reference for visitors to hear

[/b]

Hehehe good stuff. I can see some major grovelling to the dearly betrothed to get these on board. :biggrin:

[/b]

They are certainly different but I really like them. I really liked the look of the ones posted by jimmy, as the yellow drivers looked really good contrasted against the glossy black cabinet.

Hehehe good stuff. I can see some major grovelling to the dearly betrothed to get these on board. :biggrin:

[/b]

Yes by the sound of it Norps could well be on the way to testicular separation,he sounds pretty keen. :(

good to hear harry has got these speakers setup for 2ch plus with some 2ch gear to feed them.

I think theyre quite out there, certainly unconventional, like nothing out there on the market. I suppose looks are a personal think but I couldnt see a pair of these in my lounge room. not that would be anything I could afford anyways by the looks of the prices.

[/b]

Very true Al, I guess when they’re at that price point then people with that type of money would probably go more on looks than audio qualities. Also some people prefer a timber finish, and others would prefer a matt finish if being used with projectors etc.

[/b]

They are certainly different but I really like them. I really liked the look of the ones posted by jimmy, as the yellow drivers looked really good contrasted against the glossy black cabinet.

[/b]

[/b]

That's a question I've been asking myself too, Al.

FWIW, Harry makes some very neat grilles.....a bit like the B & W small round ones, which make the speakers less visually intrusive when not being used for serious listening.

In some ways these speakers would suit my current room more than most as the MTM module is smaller than the top end of a typical box speaker of the same size. The superb finish would also help the WAF.

I still can't help thinking of some sort of robot (?Dalek or similar) when I look at them, though :biggrin:

But, of course, my next speakers will be the ones that sound best to me......if that ends up being the Octagons.....then I'm sure I can grow to love the looks :(

At least they're something different and a bit of a statement/talking point.

Oh BTW, did I mention the build quality/paint job/finish......? :biggrin:

Cheers

Tony

Anyway, they look almost conservative compared to the Avant-Gardes........and I've been asking myelf the same question about them.

They look a bit like daleks to me too!

Not that I mind the look of daleks, they do bring back memories of hiding under the table cause they scared the $hit out of me when I was 5!

[/b]

If the rug-rats give them a wide berth 'cause they're scared of them, that could be a selling point. Wonder if it works for cats :(

I think theyre quite out there, certainly unconventional, like nothing out there on the market. I suppose looks are a personal think but I couldnt see a pair of these in my lounge room. not that would be anything I could afford anyways by the looks of the prices.[/b]

Ale, I can't imagine them in my living room either. If you ever see them in the flesh you will see that they are as big in real life as they come across in photos. Certainly has a very high end look, on par with the Wilson Audio's in terms of "wow" factor and a level of fit and finish to match. But I can't help but think that owning one of these is a bit like having a Hummer in your driveway.

It's the woofer section that makes these things look fat. It's probably necessary because of the size of the driver. It may be possible to ask SGR to design a different woofer section that does not have the visual bulk of these Octagons. The MTM top section looks fantastic though!

In any case, the high asking price may not be all that high when you consider that you do not have to buy seperate power amps to run them. In my case, the value of my current power amps + speakers would probably be equal to the SGR's.

In my case, the value of my current power amps + speakers would probably be equal to the SGR's.

[/b]

The one advantage of say your system is you can change your amps to suit your listening requirements. With a fully active system this is not quite so easy.

I’m currently at a crossroads now, I want to change my speakers but also change my power amp. Changing the amp may make the change of speaker not such a priority if you get my drift.

The other concern I have is heavy boxes with plate amps. I realised I made a mistake with my large subs and using plate amps. If these amps go faulty I have to remove the amps myself to get them sent off for repair (The boxes are just too big and heavy for easy transportation). Then you end up with the chances of damaging your amp whilst in transit, your enclosure when remounting the amp, and or stripping the screw holes.

Guest JohnA

thanks for all the info Norpus, i will have to make some time and get around to Harry's for a listen.

Great to hear he has them setup in a different room now.

I am very interested in these new subs of his am so glad i have played the waiting game on subs, gives mea chance torealy audition lots of different ones

It may be possible to ask SGR to design a different woofer section that does not have the visual bulk of these Octagons. The MTM top section looks fantastic though!

[/b]

Keith, well picked!

Funny about that, the active MTM can be lifted off and matched to another smaller bottom end. It is designed with that in mind - very clever. Say the Octagon sub - Harry has actually combined the MTM and the Octagonal sub during playtime in development and said its also seamless. So there is a potential solution for the potential objection

Even the trick MTM suspension can be built into a new base, which is kinda cool. The suspension system allows great isolation of the two separate cabinets - not that putting your hand on the bottom box you could feel much anyway