SGR Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Perhaps so clarification is in order as there seems to be a lot of confusion around this point. SGR can build a system for any budget. Their price range is unlimited. At no point are you wasting their time. Prices have further been posted for their more common items numerous times.

Furthermore, their contact details are published on the web. Give them a call before you visit (they audition from their home at an unpublished address so this is a pre-requisite step anyway). At this stage budget, expectations, and options can be discussed.

Hey, all I said was I prefer to know the price or price range before considering a product, Not only is this an opinion I'm entitled to, I don't think that is asking too much. I'm not in the market for speakers but I'm also curious about these things so I don't think it unreasonable to know the price range for a particular product.

Secondly - ever walked into a shop, looked at something and then you ask the shop assistant how much it is and the reply is something like "how much is sir wanting to spend?" Sorry, but that's when I walk out the door. This is a real turn off for me. I know many places can build to a price but I also think it is not unreasonable to get some idea of the range by having information about various products and their price range, eg: Widget A comes in a number of configurations which range from $30k to $50k.

Frankly I wasn't going to bother replying to this thread again but I actually think it is reasonable to know the price. Telling me they are great is a different issue and not something I would dispute. But telling me their speakers are great without giving an indication of price is somewhat useless as we all have budgets.

DS

EDIT: please note I am not singling out SGR here, I think prices should always be out there, regardless of the product. I understand they are busy and that's fine by me, I remain a curious window shopper :P

Edited by davidsss

Im not taking sides but Im glad their are early adopters - they make the world go round - I work at the other end of the product life cyle (the tip) and soemtimes get laughed at for doing so (ie smelly tip rat) but we all have our little place in the food chain of audio and im gald about that - suspect it wiull be a while till I get an SGR product at the tip!

now to show i dont take sides -

Jesus loves you this I know

for the bible tells us so

Hey, all I said was I prefer to know the price or price range before considering a product, Not only is this an opinion I'm entitled to, I don't think that is asking too much. I'm not in the market for speakers but I'm also curious about these things so I don't think it unreasonable to know the price range for a particular product.

Secondly - ever walked into a shop, looked at something and then you ask the shop assistant how much it is and the reply is something like "how much is sir wanting to spend?" Sorry, but that's when I walk out the door. This is a real turn off for me. I know many places can build to a price but I also think it is not unreasonable to get some idea of the range by having information about various products and their price range, eg: Widget A comes in a number of configurations which range from $30k to $50k.

Frankly I wasn't going to bother replying to this thread again but I actually think it is reasonable to know the price. Telling me they are great is a different issue and not something I would dispute. But telling me their speakers are great without giving an indication of price is somewhat useless as we all have budgets.

DS

EDIT: please note I am not singling out SGR here, I think prices should always be out there, regardless of the product. I understand they are busy and that's fine by me, I remain a curious window shopper :P

Hi David

Your point is taken, and if SGR were actively marketing their wares, would be valid indeed

But at this stage they don't advertise their products, submit them for review, or otherwise promote their wares.

So where exactly should they indicate price points?

The SGR surge on SNA has come from members who have bought or listened to SGR products not from SGR themselves.

Cheers

DS

David, what price is not known? Every time the question is asked a RRP is given. Why do people keep saying the price is not known ?

Guest JohnA

oz, as far as i am aware it will only be available on the new case goods which come with the octagons/mt3 i believe, not on the plate amps

Drizt, out of curiosity, do you have user adjustable EQ, or do you have the built in (vendor adjusted) EQ ?

Im in the same boat as you mate, I get what im given :P I have the plate amps built into the speakers. Stuart can of course change the circuit boards to what ever I desire (flat response please :D ) but I can't turn any knobs to change any settings. Im not uber lucky like Norpus, JohnA, Grimmie, Young Skywalker and others :eek: I am lucky number 005 for the MT3 heads though :P:D:D:D:D:D

Guest JohnA
Im not uber lucky like Norpus, JohnA, Grimmie, Young Skywalker and others :P I am lucky number 005 for the MT3 heads though :D:D:D:D:D:D

you are lucky mate. I will be given the 4 box count of goodies with adjustability, but to be honest, i doubt i would use it. Once set by Stuart thats it.

As nice as it will be to be able to experiment and trial some things with different settings, end of the day, i put my trust in the tuning capabilities of Stuart.

So your speakers will sound brilliant as you should already be aware with what you have in your room now :eek:

I am lucky number 005 for the MT3 heads though :D:D:D:D:D:D

And I do envy that, I must say !! :P

What I envy more, is locality. If I were in Melb, I'd have had the Ralstons over for dinner by now, and an in home tuning service thrown in. But I am grateful for what I have, and what is to come.

you are lucky mate. I will be given the 4 box count of goodies with adjustability, but to be honest, i doubt i would use it. Once set by Stuart thats it.

As nice as it will be to be able to experiment and trial some things with different settings, end of the day, i put my trust in the tuning capabilities of Stuart.

So your speakers will sound brilliant as you should already be aware with what you have in your room now :D

My thoughts exactly.

In STUART we trust :P

What is the rated power on the amps?
Hello musical physic,

I believe the initial intention was for 150 W into 8 ohms for the amps designated to midrange and tweeter duties and 300 W into 8 ohms for the amps assigned to bass duties on the MT3A or Octagons. The custom power supplies are certainly spec'd for this output (with extremely low distortion and zero noise from the speakers at idle) but I suspect Stuart may be biasing more heavily into Class A and going for more quality over quantity before the final release. By all accounts the amps don't even need to engage second gear for normal playback levels, even in a HUGE acoustic space. I have been told that at least one very knowledgeable builder and lover of valve equipment was quite taken with the sound of SGR's new Elite Series solid state amp.

The terms neutral and transparent are tossed around very casually in high end audio circles but I suspect these new SGR amps may actually warrant such descriptors by coming closer to the ideal "straight wire with gain" than many other commercial products.

Even now with placeholder plate amps, albeit superb ones, it is certainly refreshing to hear less of the system's signature and more of the music.

I've said it before but it bears repeating that I am now pulling records off the shelf and discovering new meaning to the music because I can hear more continuous natural detail, not the audiophile spotlit party trick that becomes fatiguing very quickly.

There is an insatiable hunger for more music because every piece has something new to be discovered. Most people would acknowledge that classical music is the hardest to reproduce on a home hi-fi system and yet this is the very genre of music that impresses me the most with my rig. No, the soundstage will never be the same size as it is in the concert hall, a pysical impossibility for many reasons, not least of which is recording technique/microphone/speaker placement, but ALL of the little things that make a live symphonic experience so compelling are there to be enjoyed IF the recording engineer managed to capture them, which the vast majority of Deccas, Mercury Living Presence and Living Stereo LPs surprisingly do.

Either JohnA is a top bloke or he just made his 1st move on Nelly ;)

ok, back on topic, 40k for active loudspeakers u say ?

What is SGR doing that someone else isn't?

Why not just get the B&W 802d, 3 high power amplifiers & the Behringer DCX. With this configuration u can create virtually any sound u want...under 30k :D

Hi Mika

Been there , done that.

I guess I helped start the trend as I did indeed sell my beloved 802D to make way for the SGR Octagons #1 pair of which I am most proud.

And yes, I also had twin 18" IB subs augmenting the 802D via Behringer mixer/crossove/eq setup and they sounded fab. Unfortunately, I found the Octagons better again so had to have them. No regrets (apart from just reading the middle of this thread :()

And yes I did seriously talk to Stuart about him converting the 802Ds to active, and they would have sounded good, but they still would have had a ported bass with a hump due to design. Nothing wrong with the drivers in them for sure, and B&W service was excellent (even a home call at no cost at one stage)

Edited by norpus

150w for the mid/high, and 300w for the low.

This may not be sufficient to drive them to their full potential without clipping, but as it's been alluded to earlier, u are only limited by ur budget with $GR :D

Hey norpus - what system u were running b4 u switched to the SGR, and what were the differences that made u switch?

This may not be sufficient to drive them to their full potential without clipping, but as it's been alluded to earlier, u are only limited by ur budget with $GR :D

Nice sarcasm. ;)

Its an active system mate, so power requirements are much lower than for a wasteful passive system. I have never! ever heard the Octagons or MT3a's strained, and thats with well over 110dB material etc. I don't listen anywhere near that loud but its nice to know that I have the head room.

Hey norpus - what system u were running b4 u switched to the SGR, and what were the differences that made u switch?

I think I answered that q in the edit of my first reply above

I rather think you would reach compression of the drivers before you reach clipping. I have only heard compression once so far on the Octagons and it was at pretty high spl levels in the midrange on some unfamiliar music.

Remember the 300watts doesn't need to push through any big inductors in a crossover, so 300watts (active) would act more like 600w rms (passive)per twin 10" driver. More than enough in my experience (I know what clipping and bottoming bass drivers both sound like and it aint pretty)

The top end on the B&W's was more subdued/laid back.

Clarity overall in the vocals

Bass -flat, no port hump, tighter, extended

Subtleties of hearing things you hadn't noticed before on tracks

Thanks for asking

Edited by norpus

Hello Mika,

As others have already mentioned a speaker with an active crossover has better power transfer and suffers the lowest possible intermodulation distortion. I have heard the MT3As do 110 dB in an open plan space which is bigger than most people's entire home without breaking a sweat on less than 150/300 W of amplifier power. At that volume it doesn't take long to cause permanent hearing damage.

Ever been to a live symphony orchestra and marvelled at how softly the orchestra plays and yet everything is clear as a bell? That is how the MT3As present such music. The big tuttis creep up on you with their ferocity just as they do live. A very addictive experience for classical music lovers. Naturally one can recreate a jazz band or singer with ease and the speakers easily passed TerryJ's doof test with most tracks as I understand it.

What are "active cross-overs"?

crossovers at low level, prior to main amplification

passive crossovers are at high level after the main amplification, so typically contain larger inductors/resistors/capacitors to handle the higher current. Being larger, they consume a lot more amp power so you need bigger amps to get same response from driver (in general)

From what I understand active crossovers do not suffer the large phase changes of the signal associated with the larger passive components into each driver

Suggest you google it up for more info

I'm only guessing here.

But I think the 2 x10" drivers are perhaps running as a 4ohm load.

Then just perhaps that bass amp is probably producing about about 500+ watts in/4ohms.

IIRC the mids on the Octagons are very efficient,again I'm guessing about 94db each.So not power hungry at all.

Not sure whethet they're wired in parrallel or in series to get either 4/8ohms?

Perhaps Stuart which knows all the tech will clarify this.