SGR Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

I tell you what i love the most about SGR

from the first time i ever went there, they made you feel at home. There was never any hard sell. Now i just think of them as extended family. Any question, anything you need they just listen and if they can do, they do. If not they tell you why it won't and give you options.

Now SGR how my.......ooops better not say too much :eek:

Having benefitted from their hospitality and generosity, i would have to agree wholeheartedly. And they are a class act. A lot of the time the technical bits went over my head but the ears got a treat and often followed by the palate too thanks to Ann. Another belated happy birthday wish to young Stuart.

Nude,

Good review of the SGR's. Obviously from all the accolades praised upon them they are quite superb to listen too. And the fact that many afficiados of hifi on this site have got rid of their amps and speakers, and gone SGR speaks for itself.

There is no doubting their ability to deliver. And its nice to know the people at SGR are committed to the cause and have a real passion for what they do.

cheers

adrocks42

Edited by adrocks1

Slightly OT .. but regarding Abby Dobson i saw her sing in a Leonard Cohen tribute show with a group called Monsieur Camembert. The show was titled "Famous Blue Cheese" and it was without a doubt one of the best shows i have ever had the pleasure of seeing. Abby Dobson sung Leonards "Famous Blue Raincoat" song and she just nailed it!!! It was an amazing performance ... truly amazing ... i am talking "shivers down the spine" amazing ... that was the first time i had ever heard Abbey sing. Even better than Jennifer Warnes rendition imho ... :eek::eek:

If you ever get the chance go and see her live!! I have just searched online and she is playing in Brisbane early April at Kitty O'Sheas (Caxton St). I'll see some Brisbane SNA'ers there perhaps?? :)

http://www.monsieurcamembert.com/cds.htm

Apologies for taking this OT ...

cheers

Jeff

Any time mate

Try this

It's from Angel's Blood

Abbey plays in Melbourne semi regularly, mostly with Paul Mac

www.abbydobson.com

• 2 weeks later...

MT3s $$$ how much?

edit: Who and what is SGR ?? ..ok so I've done some searching, @ audiomarketplace they have plate amps, reading threads round here they do active upgrades, ....is this MT3 their 1st flagship loudspeaker? anyone ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Mika75

Guest JohnA

Mika75, they became known with the octagons.

They did of course have some earlier models also and when you visit the house of SGR you get to see it all.

The MT3 has a new top section to the octagon.

There are many pictures of the octagons on here if you do a search.

their website is http://www.sgraudio.com.au/

It has nothing on it at the moment, apart from contact details, so at least you can contact them and enquire about anything you need.

RRP for the MT3's including all amps (not the plate amps) and crossovers is $40k

Guest JohnA

Nelly, since you are in Melbourne, do yourself a favour and go listen to a pair.

OR

since you are a fellow bike rider, throw the bike in the car, head down here, listen to mine and we go for a ride :rolleyes:

Nelly, since you are in Melbourne, do yourself a favour and go listen to a pair.

OR

since you are a fellow bike rider, throw the bike in the car, head down here, listen to mine and we go for a ride :rolleyes:

I strongly recommend you take him up on this very generous offer mate. JohnA has a first rate system :) and hes a top bloke to boot.

Guest JohnA
I strongly recommend you take him up on this very generous offer mate. JohnA has a first rate system :rolleyes: and hes a top bloke to boot.

ahhh shucks

thanks mate

most people would say i'm an A......... :)

OR

Sounds like a plan! :)

But those hills in the East scare the **** out of me. I am more of a Beach Road weekend warrior. To put it in an inflated manner, I am more of a green jersey than polka dot jersey. :) Built for speed over very very very very very very very very short distance.

Either JohnA is a top bloke or he just made his 1st move on Nelly :)

ok, back on topic, 40k for active loudspeakers u say ?

What is SGR doing that someone else isn't?

Why not just get the B&W 802d, 3 high power amplifiers & the Behringer DCX. With this configuration u can create virtually any sound u want...under 30k :rolleyes:

Guest JohnA

Mika

trust me, i tried the 802D's in my room and they just did not compare.

But if we were to argue price

802D rrp $22000

then as you say 3 good quality amps at even $4k per amp is rrp $12k so you are getting very close to the $40k

Now i love the B&W sound and was very dissapointed that the 802D's did not do it for me.

Also to get the same bottom end out of an 802D as you do out of the octagons or mt3 you will need to add a good quality subs or 2, so more costs factored into the equation.

Either JohnA is a top bloke or he just made his 1st move on Nelly :)

ok, back on topic, 40k for active loudspeakers u say ?

What is SGR doing that someone else isn't?

Why not just get the B&W 802d, 3 high power amplifiers & the Behringer DCX. With this configuration u can create virtually any sound u want...under 30k :rolleyes:

Well said Mika...at 40k there are many options. What are they doing that someone else isn't? Well maybe one of their owners can tell you.

Add DEQX to your system above and a couple of 15" or 18" subs and it could very well be comparable.

Guest JohnA
Well said Mika...at 40k there are many options. What are they doing that someone else isn't? Well maybe one of their owners can tell you.

Add DEQX to your system above and a couple of 15" or 18" subs and it could very well be comparable.

and at the same price point once you add a deqx and a couple of subs

and then you are just assuming it will sound as good as you have never heard a pair of SGR speakers so you wouldn't know.

Why bother posting if you have never experienced them, have you even experienced B&W 802D??

and at the same price point once you add a deqx and a couple of subs

and then you are just assuming it will sound as good as you have never heard a pair of SGR speakers so you wouldn't know.

Why bother posting if you have never experienced them, have you even experienced B&W 802D??

Notice I said could not would??? I could be wrong but take your medicine John. Have you ever heard a pair of 802D's with stereo 18" subs and DEQX?

All valid points.

Price vs. Worth is something the owner has to work out for themselves.

People who have bought them either didn't know what else was out there and bought in ignorance, or they did know what was out there, and did listen to a large array of alternatives then decided what sounded best to them.

Also for those bang for buck guys, yes you can get great results for small amounts of money with DIY. But DIY is not for everyone. The SGR system is an out of the box system that does not need any fiddling around by the end user.

Something is only ever 'worth' what someone is willing to pay for it.

Before dissing SGR based on the RRP, how about going to sample what they can do :rolleyes:

Edited by Drizt

Notice I said could not would??? I could be wrong but take your medicine John. Have you ever heard a pair of 802D's with stereo 18" subs and DEQX?

Ill jump in and say I have heard the 802D's with active crossover to a pair of 18's in a mono IB configuration. Some of the best bass I have ever heard. But as good as that was, its not upto the SGR Octagons or MT3's.

Guest JohnA

have heard the 802D with IB subs on many occasions and the guy that owned them is now a proud owner of SGR octagons.

Suprisingly, everyone else who has heard them in his house would also agree the SGR's outclass his 802/IB setup. Hey and guess what, he doesn't even need to use the IB setup now.

I also have had a pair of 802D's in my house for over a week and my conclusion was i had to spend allot more money on them to get them to sound like the SGR's and there was no guarentee that i could get them to sound the same, hense why i opted for the octagons

you on the other hand just like jumping in, never hearing any of these products, just to stir the pot.

Who dissed them Drizt? I backed up a point that there are many options available with some at least providing more flexibility (ability to tailor the sound to individual taste) for that kind of money.

You can take this how you will but in my mind the majority of a systems sound comes from it's design, not it's implementation.

you on the other hand just like jumping in, never hearing any of these products, just to stir the pot.

Hi John and Dr X,

I know there is some history between you two, but would like to respectfully ask that we don't let this get personal. I consider you both friends (emailed both of you from time to time etc.), but would hate to see this thread turn ugly. Call me an SGR affectionardo (cause I am) :rolleyes:

Who dissed them Drizt? I backed up a point that there are many options available with some at least providing more flexibility (ability to tailor the sound to individual taste) for that kind of money.

You can take this how you will but in my mind the majority of a systems sound comes from it's design, not it's implementation.

Sorry Dr X I was not meaning anyone in particular. The 'price' aspect of the SGR's has been raised many times. Im not sure if it really needs to be brought into question any more ? People buy things at the price they are willing to pay. Its as simple as that really. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

On your last point I think your wrong. Implementation is the last word on the end result. Theres no point having the best design in the world and then implementing it half arsed. The end result is governed by both the design and the implemenation of that design. If you have a **** design but implement it perfect, its still ****. If you have the best design, but implement it ****, then it is ****.

Edited by Drizt

That requires removing the internal crossovers of the 802D. Thus voiding warantee and meaning you do not have an out of the box solution. Sure you could do it. Its all up to the individual.

I suggest going to SGR for a visit and then see if you can answer your own question :)