DIY equipment platforms.

Steever

I made two shelves out of plastic wall paneling this afternoon. It's very light, very inert to vibration, and stiff while also being ever so slightly compliant at the same time.

13a415b4365f8912bd629b4785f41405.jpg

06fef44e157c076bae754cbeea9e170e.jpg

DSC08189.thumb.JPG.c992fa849fa30a711cf2645e1839d0d1.JPG

Footers are Vibrapods screwed into place with Vibracones between these and the glass shelf. All much more stable.

It's late so listening impressions tomorrow maybe...

Edited by Winno
  • Like 2

Well, this little project just worked out to be a raging success.

I'm sitting here getting goosebumps now and again as I listen.

The focus is so sharp. The bass is deep but textured and tight. Midrange and treble is so clear and sweet with no harshness.

Dynamics are striking across the whole audio spectrum and really shows the strengths of my Theta DSPre. Every aspect of my listening has been improved whereas previously, experiments resulted in a kind of 1 step forward but 0.25 of a step backwards.

The material is called Uniboard Eco Prolight. It's a strong and light PVC foam. Builders use it in wet areas because it's waterproof. It's very kind to tools and it's very light.

My builder mate gives me this stuff for nothing so I don't know where it's purchased from.

Edited by Winno
  • Like 1

Yes, that's the stuff.

Mine was white but I understand it can be got in a variety of colours.

Mine is 19mm stuff.

[edit] My mate just got back to me. While he does use the Uniboard product, the stuff he has been giving me as offcuts is actually Prolight which is a rigid foam PVC - http://www.psp.co.nz/plastic-sheets/pvc/prolight

Edited by Winno