Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
blybo

Rel T9i Sub impressions???

Recommended Posts

HI Guys,

My old sub in my HT bit the big one so my Subsonic XS1 has gone from my family room to HT duties and working very well in there with Audyssey Pro calibration.

 

So... I need a new sub for my family room, my Spatial OB's are pretty decent with bass with 2x 15" drivers per speaker. However they aren't quite full range and as my wife likes low level listening I used to use the Subsonic as a form of loudness button :thumb:. I have to use speaker level connection due to the design of my pre amp, and the integrated I may replace it with only has 1 pre out, which i may like to keep free for a power amp down the track.

 

So seeing as though Rel are famous as Audiophile music subs and pretty much prefer users to use speaker level connection it is the brand I instantly thought of. Just hoping some members may be able to give feedback on longer term ownership. I've had a demo of 1 for a couple of hours at home and liked it however it just looks way too small for my large listening room and I never got the chance to really crank it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for taking this OT, but why would you not consider an SVS SB-13U ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Apologies for taking this OT, but why would you not consider an SVS SB-13U ?

 

They are double the price IIRC. I can get the Rel in gloss white which will almost disappear in our familyroom. From the quick look at the back of the SVS SB-13 it does not have a speaker level connection, unless they do it differently. If I use the standard RCA out of my pre amp I get a constant hum from the sub when the pre is off as it goes open circuit or is it closed circuit, can't remember the term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blybo said:

 

They are double the price IIRC. I can get the Rel in gloss white which will almost disappear in our familyroom. From the quick look at the back of the SVS SB-13 it does not have a speaker level connection, unless they do it differently. If I use the standard RCA out of my pre amp I get a constant hum from the sub when the pre is off as it goes open circuit or is it closed circuit, can't remember the term.

 

am just wondering if the T9 will be enough ? the subsonic even though around same sort of price bracket, I know could move some air :D  and wiht your speakers and bass capability already... and you have a large space to engage :) am thinking possibly need something further up ladder even if sticking with rel and they do make make some sensational stuff ! the s series ? above ? 

 

all that likely answered wiht a home demo though. perhaps worth trying the T9 see if enough ? and hits the spot.  yep a white box would dissapear and be a nice visual match with your speakers important in homely lounge room setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


21 minutes ago, :) al said:

 

am just wondering if the T9 will be enough ? the subsonic even though around same sort of price bracket, I know could move some air :D  and wiht your speakers and bass capability already... and you have a large space to engage :) am thinking possibly need something further up ladder even if sticking with rel and they do make make some sensational stuff ! the s series ? above ? 

 

all that likely answered wiht a home demo though. perhaps worth trying the T9 see if enough ? and hits the spot.  yep a white box would dissapear and be a nice visual match with your speakers important in homely lounge room setting.

 

I tried it with a Naim Atom over the weekend and the rel blended very well using speaker level connection, but not sure if it would run out of puff if cranking it up. Also didn't seem to really dig that much deeper than the Spatials, but the Rel never got boomy even when positioned in a corner.

 

Mark from Audio Trends told me that the S is better quality but does not offer extra output over the T9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an REL R-218 in a large rectangular room (5m x 8m) and it adds enough punch for my liking. I have it paired with some Focal Profile 908's which are a small pair of bookshelf speakers but the combo works very well to my ears. It's not a huge box but adds a significant bottom end that was missing before. 

Probably not an equivalent comparison to your speakers.

I've had my sub for >3yrs now. It's been the best addition to my set up for a long time.

 

When buying mine - unheard - the advice was to get the entry level up a wrung vs top of the range lower wrung. And the high level connection was the clincher as I didn't have any other means of connecting a sub to my system.

 

I note there's an R-328 for sale in the classifieds today but it's black and pick up here in Vegas.

 

I presume it would throw a bigger sound than the T9 and my R-218 (down firing only). 

 

I hope that helps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had Rel T1 which I think would be one of the predecessors for a few years now. Once had up to x4 subs in my small lounge room. A single REL is just as good to me. I did position it at the best spot from my test though, and it is controlled via DSP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I'm quite impressed with our T7i given its lack of size. Plus you can haggle them down to around $1100 for a new one. Just a thought you could buy two T7i's for not a lot more than one T9i.

 

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2 T9i subs doing support duties for my standpoints, 2 channel playback only.

They have performed flawlessly for the 6 months of ownership, sound great when they are eventually dialled in correctly, clear, fast and relatively deep.

But I think for HT, subs with perhaps more punch may be required to really shake the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing against the REL subs but if you're looking at around the price of a T9, do yourself a favour and have a look at the possibility of importing a Rhythmik direct servo subwoofer. An alternative is to import the amp and driver and have an enclosure made up locally. They are superb sounding, go extremely low and integrate beautifully with panel speakers, as well as "standard" types of speakers.

 

Very, very highly recommended.

 

Regards,

 

SS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sub Sonic said:

Nothing against the REL subs but if you're looking at around the price of a T9, do yourself a favour and have a look at the possibility of importing a Rhythmik direct servo subwoofer. An alternative is to import the amp and driver and have an enclosure made up locally. They are superb sounding, go extremely low and integrate beautifully with panel speakers, as well as "standard" types of speakers.

 

Very, very highly recommended.

 

Regards,

 

SS

 

 

But why import when Red Spade Audio in Melbourne is offering parity pricing......:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Just now, pulinap said:

 

But why import when Red Spade Audio in Melbourne is offering parity pricing......:)

 You need to import thru Red Spade... that's what I did :-)

 

Cheers,

 

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sime said:

I have a T9i and its bloody awesome. 

 

i thought you had one !

 

3 hours ago, TerryO said:

I'm quite impressed with our T7i given its lack of size. Plus you can haggle them down to around $1100 for a new one. Just a thought you could buy two T7i's for not a lot more than one T9i.

 

cheers Terry

 

this is something rel seems to do so well :) i.e. bass for size and vs cost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sime said:

Great sound, well built and purdy :love

 

yep nd cant fault their build and fit and finish either :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I have 2 T9i subs doing support duties for my standpoints, 2 channel playback only.
They have performed flawlessly for the 6 months of ownership, sound great when they are eventually dialled in correctly, clear, fast and relatively deep.
But I think for HT, subs with perhaps more punch may be required to really shake the room.

I'd be interested to know your room size. My room is open plan living/dining with side kitchen and wide hallway as well. Living/dining area is 7m x 12m.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, blybo said:


I'd be interested to know your room size. My room is open plan living/dining with side kitchen and wide hallway as well. Living/dining area is 7m x 12m.

Have open plan family room with high ceilings, with some soft furnishings but no other room treatment. It required 2 subs using multi sub optimisation to make up for the missing bass. Initially tried a single SB-13U in a corner which was ok for HT but too boomy for stereo. 

 

Did not realise how much bass was lost until the second sub (SB-2000) was added and optimised. Am now enjoying the bass for stereo, tight for rock, jazz, subtle for classical. And for movies, wow!

 

Suggest you consider 2 subs. Two T7i's is better than one T9i. Or one of each if budget permits. You will need to find best locations, living room permitting. Also DSP and/or anti mode device. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blybo said:


I'd be interested to know your room size. My room is open plan living/dining with side kitchen and wide hallway as well. Living/dining area is 7m x 12m.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.7m x 9.4m, dedicated rectangular music room, my speakers and subs go loud enough to be too loud for the room, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sub Sonic said:

Nothing against the REL subs but if you're looking at around the price of a T9, do yourself a favour and have a look at the possibility of importing a Rhythmik direct servo subwoofer. An alternative is to import the amp and driver and have an enclosure made up locally. They are superb sounding, go extremely low and integrate beautifully with panel speakers, as well as "standard" types of speakers.

 

Very, very highly recommended.

 

Regards,

 

SS

 

Do they offer high level connections? This is a non negotiable for my set up, I have to take the signal from the power amp or my sub will hum. I can't see any mention on the website and photos of the plate amp aren't clear enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Have open plan family room with high ceilings, with some soft furnishings but no other room treatment. It required 2 subs using multi sub optimisation to make up for the missing bass. Initially tried a single SB-13U in a corner which was ok for HT but too boomy for stereo. 

 

Did not realise how much bass was lost until the second sub (SB-2000) was added and optimised. Am now enjoying the bass for stereo, tight for rock, jazz, subtle for classical. And for movies, wow!

 

Suggest you consider 2 subs. Two T7i's is better than one T9i. Or one of each if budget permits. You will need to find best locations, living room permitting. Also DSP and/or anti mode device. 

 

Yup, I'm using 2 subs in the HT room to alleviate a room issue. Usually 2 subs does not necessarily give extra output, it just balances response better throughout the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, blybo said:

Do they offer high level connections? This is a non negotiable for my set up, I have to take the signal from the power amp or my sub will hum. I can't see any mention on the website and photos of the plate amp aren't clear enough.

 

Depends on which amp you choose, but yes, they are available. I have them in mine.

 

SS

IMG_0723.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, blybo said:

Yup, I'm using 2 subs in the HT room to alleviate a room issue. Usually 2 subs does not necessarily give extra output, it just balances response better throughout the room.

 

though wiht some clarification in the HT room you are pretty much with the ideal harman front back setup and with a bit of a leg up in eq and processing. yes 2 dont subs dont necessarily add much in output. they can can balance things however the positioning vs the room is critical or can actually go backward and be "double trouble" i.e. instead of smoothing they just drive nulls further and peaks higher ! :D  in my own sub with one sub perfectly setup needing little to no eq adding the second for 2ch for instance is just detrimental. 

 

in your open config am not sure how much flexibility would have with 2 sub setup but id suggest you'd need to do a bit with positioning and eq/processing to get right :) even with one sub i would go with some eq and processing on the sub to incorporate but if working in well to satisfaction without then that is all that matters :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, :) al said:

 

though wiht some clarification in the HT room you are pretty much with the ideal harman front back setup and with a bit of a leg up in eq and processing. yes 2 dont subs dont necessarily add much in output. they can can balance things however the positioning vs the room is critical or can actually go backward and be "double trouble" i.e. instead of smoothing they just drive nulls further and peaks higher ! :D  in my own sub with one sub perfectly setup needing little to no eq adding the second for 2ch for instance is just detrimental. 

 

in your open config am not sure how much flexibility would have with 2 sub setup but id suggest you'd need to do a bit with positioning and eq/processing to get right :) even with one sub i would go with some eq and processing on the sub to incorporate but if working in well to satisfaction without then that is all that matters :)

 

Not sure you can do miniDSP type processing with speaker level connections though. The T9i did blend very well I thought just from my quick "guessimate" in the home demo. I'm think perhaps just best to go old school with the crawl method and see what pricing I can get on the S3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By vik74au
      Item: REL Acoustics R-505 Subwoofer
      Location: SE Suburbs Melbourne
      Price: $1,100
      Item Condition: Excellent, perfect working condition
      Reason for selling: Upgraded
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Excellent working condition, albeit some fine scratches on the piano lacquer finish, only visible under direct close light, see pics. Sole owner since new, carefully maintained in a smoke-free, no-children and pets home throughout its life.   Heavy duty long throw 12" Drive unit, 500 watts Class D See photo for more specs   Original box and packing as in photo, for pick up only as this sub is a heavy 26kg.   Accessories included as in photo: - Power Cord - Neutrik Speakon Interconnect (High Level) - Spikes - User Manual   NOT Included: I also have a set (of 4) of IsoAcoustics Gaia III isolation feet and carpet discs that I have been using on this REL for sale separately if buyer is interested, see last pic of it (without carpet discs) on the REL.  
      Photos:
       









    • By olegau
      Item: HiFi stereo system
      Location: Melbourne 3183
      Price: 1200
      Item Condition: very good
      Reason for selling: too many stereo systems
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
       
       
      Carefully selected Hi-Fi stereo system. All in good condition and working order.
       
      Separated sale:
       
      1. ROTEL RA-980BX Integrated Amplifier $390
      The amp was checked and serviced recently.
      It has OP amp sockets, DIYer could change the OP amps to get different sound. Open the the top cover and then change the OP-Amp you like.
      There are three pairs of Ops: original AD712 (vintage sift sound, JRC4558 (modern  more clean and detailed sound) and LM4562 (bit more detaied). Currently installed LM4562. Many other OP-Amp suits for this amp.. 
      Power output: 100 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
      Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%
      Dimensions: 440 x 121 x 347mm
      Weight: 10.1kg
      https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/rotel/ra-980.shtml
      Example:

       
      2. Speakers: Ascension Woodfox Ribbon 822SRTL Bookshelf Speakers. $890
      Dimentions: 500 H, 270mm W and 315mm Depth. Weight is approximately 18kg each. High quality woofer using an Papyrus cone, ribbon tweeter, Rose Mahogany Veneer.
      Two years old.
      Power 120W
      8 ohms
      Sensitivity 91db
       
      3.  Sold.  Subwoofer: Infinity Primus PS-8 $170
      See spec attached
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.





       
       
       
       


       
       
       
       


    • By powerinnumbers
      Item: VAF LFE-o7
      Location: Adelaide southern suburbs
      Price: $600
      Item Condition: Good
      Reason for selling: Upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal + 3%, Credit Cards + 1.8%
      Extra Info: The sale does not include GST as it wasn't purchased part of business.
       
       
      Will not ship , must pickup in person or paid in advance and arranged own transport.
      Happy to demonstrate
       
      Would suit somebody with an existing LFE-07 to match . I don't know too much about subs to explain much, since this is the only one I ever owned.
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.



    • By Lucki
      Item: Canton SUB 10.2 10 Inch Active Sub-woofer
      Location: Cheltenham, Melbourne
      Price: $499
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Need to downgrade to a compact sub
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal Only
      Extra Info: Sub is in almost new condition with no blemishes or marks whatsoever. Also have the original box if required.
       
      I have for sale a sparingly used matte white Canton SUB 10.2 10" active sub-woofer rated at 200 watts RMS & upto 300 watts peak. The subwoofer is ported so would be ideal for movies but it is great for music also, as it features acoustic room compensation to make the bass sound wider or narrower.

      I purchased this earlier in the year and have since enjoyed the LFE mixes of a great few movies, and some good music scores too. It goes so deep that you feel the floor and the windows vibrate, yet it sounds clean and deep. Unfortunately I need to sell as I don't have the space anymore for a large sub-woofer in my setup. I also have placement limitations in my living room. The dimensions of this unit are 320W x 456D x 432H and weighs 15.3 KGS.
       
      More info and reviews below:


      https://www.canton.de/en/archive/sub-10.2?number=

      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canton-03303-10-2-Subwoofer-Black/dp/B00AZUS16U

      https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/canton-sub-10-2-10-active-subwoofer.html
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.








    • By olegau
      Item: Infinity Primus PS-8 Subwoofer
      Location:Melbourne
      Price: 190
      Item Condition: good working order
      Reason for selling: do not need
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
       Good sound and good condition.

      Infinity PS-8 Subwoofer

      Features and Specs

      Enclosure Bass Reflex

      Woofer Size (inches) 8

      Woofer Composition M.M.D.

      Width 10.6 in

      Depth 16.8 in

      Height 17.5 in

      Weight 33.07 lbs

      Firing Direction Front

      Preamp-Level Inputs 3

      Speaker-Level Inputs Yes

      Low-Pass Crossover Freq 50-150 Hz

      High-Pass Crossover Freq None

      Phase Switch Yes

      Amplifier Output (watts) 100

      Frequency Response 35-150 Hz
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.









×
×
  • Create New...